Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2013, 11:08 AM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
Yeah not like those massive wildfires in summer that put out alot more smoke then all of the people who use wood burning stoves...
I've never understood why that shows up as a "gotcha" for some people. Wildfires are natural, a part of the normal cycle of clearing dead vegetation from the land. The smoke is toxic enough to cause injury to firefighters and residents at considerable distance from the fireline, but its effects are typically only felt for a few days at a time. On the other hand toxic smoke from woodstoves and fireplaces can be cumulative, and occur year around. You may need to take temporary action to avoid the smoke from a forest fire, but it can be quite difficult to avoid the ongoing emissions of an upwind neighbor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2013, 03:24 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,343,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I've never understood why that shows up as a "gotcha" for some people. Wildfires are natural, a part of the normal cycle of clearing dead vegetation from the land. The smoke is toxic enough to cause injury to firefighters and residents at considerable distance from the fireline, but its effects are typically only felt for a few days at a time. On the other hand toxic smoke from woodstoves and fireplaces can be cumulative, and occur year around. You may need to take temporary action to avoid the smoke from a forest fire, but it can be quite difficult to avoid the ongoing emissions of an upwind neighbor.
well mankind making a Fire for warmth, Light and to cook meals on and boil water to drink is where the benefits outweigh the negatives and pretty much heated homes and been used as a fuel source since we managed to rub two sticks together and make a fire.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:05 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,343,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Send me a PM of where you live in Maine and I'll give you contact information for someone that uses anthracite coal. Then see if you agree. FYI. it's perfectly suitable for any urban environment.
I am with Coal since here in the PNW wood and Coal as well as LNG are abundant cheap and I use a woodstove and have Fire place and LNG heats my Hot water tank and my standby back up Generator uses propane from a 1000Gallon underground tank that meet all current regulations and has to replaced every 10 years and tested every fill up.

And yes OpenD I have Solar panels on the roof and my power comes from hydro but I save alot of money on eclectic bills by heating with the wood stove you do know that we get some cold winters and need to have a heat source.

Old 12-21-2013, 04:22 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,105,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrational View Post
which, like auto emission tests, is about tax revenues.
ftfy.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:06 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOlover View Post
well mankind making a Fire for warmth, Light and to cook meals on and boil water to drink is where the benefits outweigh the negatives and pretty much heated homes and been used as a fuel source since we managed to rub two sticks together and make a fire.
We also used to drive wild animals off cliffs to get our dinners, and living to age 30 was considered elderly, but times have changed. And breathing wood smoke was part of what shortened our lives, back before technology arrived.

As I posted earlier, Otzi, the 5,300 year old Ice Mummy found in the Alps in 1991 was shown, under examination, to have soot in his lungs and smoke damage from wood fires.

It's very hard to outweigh the negatives of burning wood for warmth, light, and cooking and boiling water today in an industrialized nation like ours, unless you are far enough from any neighbors to not cause them any issues, and have little regard for your own health.

Old 12-23-2013, 06:06 AM

18,359 posts, read 26,520,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
As I posted earlier, Otzi, the 5,300 year old Ice Mummy found in the Alps in 1991 was shown, under examination, to have soot in his lungs and smoke damage from wood fires.
And that could have been the result of a wildfire too.

Burning petroleum has had a far bigger impact on the environment and our health than has burning wood.

Old 12-23-2013, 07:43 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
And that could have been the result of a wildfire too.

No it was from fires inside shelters

Burning petroleum has had a far bigger impact on the environment and our health than has burning wood.
we burn a lot more petroleum.

Old 12-23-2013, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
No it was from fires inside shelters

we burn a lot more petroleum.
Any proof of that? Countless people over thousands of years have been exposed to thick smoke from wildfires, and many died of it.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:28 AM

6,848 posts, read 8,003,108 times
Quote:
Any proof of that?
http://www.annualreviews.org/doi/abs...lCode=energy.1

Wood accounts for about 10% of total energy consumption. Oil, gas & coal is 85+%.

Quote:
Countless people over thousands of years have been exposed to thick smoke from wildfires, and many died of it.
Any proof of that?

Old 12-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

Wood accounts for about 10% of total energy consumption. Oil, gas & coal is 85+%.
I was referring to the mummified human dying of wood campfires as you claimed. I'm well aware of the fact that more petroleum is burned than wood in the U.S. Not a lot of wood burning automobiles around.

Quote:
Any proof of that?
Have you not seen the news reports for the past several decades of people being killed in the massive wildfires out West? Times that by tens of thousands of years worldwide, and you're talking a lot of fatalities and health problems in those impacted by it. No early warnings centuries ago if a wildfire was on its way, unless you saw the smoke.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living