Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 04:25 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,248,470 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
I'm sure that most of these birds were just flying too fast and their feathers simply singed from all of the heat caused by the excessive friction! So it was probably self-immolation. Yeah, that's the ticket.

What's even more foolish, though, is people who keep clamoring that we kill millions of birds this way, and millions of birds that way, so killing a lesser number of birds another way can't be all bad. Of course, it's not the individual incidents which are the big problem, it's the cumulative impacts.
Just where is the PROOF that the birds were killed by the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities and not by some natural predator and fell onto some of the 34,000 solar panels?

I guess if one is a certified tree-hugger than the only possible answer is the solar arrays at the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities caused the deaths...

Passing judgement without all the facts... * AWESOME * I guess the standards of the United States of America have changed....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2013, 07:31 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,855,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Just where is the PROOF that the birds were killed by the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities and not by some natural predator and fell onto some of the 34,000 solar panels?

I guess if one is a certified tree-hugger than the only possible answer is the solar arrays at the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities caused the deaths...

Passing judgement without all the facts... * AWESOME * I guess the standards of the United States of America have changed....
Don't be a jerk. The optical radiation around the top of the tower get into hundred of sun level. Probably kill anything that gets within a few feet.

No big deal. Don't fly into big bright lights. And obviously most birds don't. Or there would be thousands of corpses.

Old 11-24-2013, 09:44 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,248,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvoc View Post
Don't be a jerk. The optical radiation around the top of the tower get into hundred of sun level. Probably kill anything that gets within a few feet.

No big deal. Don't fly into big bright lights. And obviously most birds don't. Or there would be thousands of corpses.
I'm a jerk because I'm asking what killed the 34 (thirty-four) birds? And for questioning others (including yourself) that immediately place the blame on the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities without any solid proof?

Thats what I love about this forum, people make judgement calls not on evidence and facts but solely on personal feelings...

Old 11-24-2013, 10:33 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,855,778 times
Quote:
I'm a jerk because I'm asking what killed the 34 (thirty-four) birds? And for questioning others (including yourself) that immediately place the blame on the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities without any solid proof?

Thats what I love about this forum, people make judgement calls not on evidence and facts but solely on personal feelings...
Again it does not take much science to know that 1000 sun plus areas will be fatal to birds. As well the structures and particularly the heliostats as birds are well known to fly into reflecting surfaces...and these are big reflectors.

I would think the proper comment is that the mortality rate appears quite low...not that it appears high.

Noting the obvious does not require heavy science though some reasonable data exists on the subject..

See...

http://cochise.az.gov/uploadedFiles/...ty%20Study.pdf

Now back under your rock.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:27 AM

8,579 posts, read 12,488,815 times
Quote:
I agree that you're just being a jerk. You should read more and post your comments less. Then we'd all be better off.

(I'm told that I can't rep Ivoc again so soon, but he hit the nail on the head with his post.)

Old 11-25-2013, 09:26 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,988,204 times
Quote:
Uhhh, maybe you will notice this thread is specifically about the Ivanpah Solar Power Facilities solar panels supposedly frying birds...

You want get into a p*ssing contest over the deaths of migratory birds around the world? Open a new thread here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/great-debates/

or here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...controversies/

or here:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/birds/

Based on what scant information the OP posted on the deaths of 34 birds over who knows over what period of time who knows exactly what killed them...

Maybe they were killed by natural predators or natural events and fell on the mirrors causing them to singe...
Uhhh, if you have issues with the thread direction, then why not post the the individual who started the different direction instead of those who replied to them?

Old 11-25-2013, 10:43 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,592,509 times
Peoples precious house cats kill hundreds (thousands?) of times more birds daily.

The OP can go sit in the woods and eat bark and moss, to save the 34 birds, I'm not going to worry about it. Oh yes, no hunting birds for food

Old 11-25-2013, 10:51 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,988,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Peoples precious house cats kill hundreds (thousands?) of times more birds daily.

The OP can go sit in the woods and eat bark and moss, to save the 34 birds, I'm not going to worry about it. Oh yes, no hunting birds for food
You could not have read the OP's post and then come up with that statement and see any correlation between the two.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Well, jeez, ya'll.

I really think it's time for everybody to take a time-out and reread the sticky thread at the top of this forum about the ground rules here...

https://www.city-data.com/forum/green...ed-topics.html

And while you're at it, you might as well reread the Terms of Service (TOS), since that doesn't seem terribly clear to everyone...

https://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

My point being, all these personal comments back and forth not only muck up a debate really fast, but they're actually prohibited, and are a fast track to getting the thread shut down. If you have a valid point to make, you don't need to insult anyone else to make it. Matter of fact, insulting others can be just another way to mask the fact that you don't really have anything valid to say.

If you just want to state a personal opinion, and don't have any evidence to back it up, then be clear that it's just an unsupported personal opinion. If you do have evidence, post it when you make the claim.

But remember, the fundamental principle is to attack ideas and arguments, not people. Don't get personal, y'all.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:49 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,529,414 times
Take a fresh look at the immense installation pictured in this article:

Ivanpah Solar Power Facility - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now... imagine 34 birds being killed... over this huge area...

Spread out over a year's time...

How is this an issue even worth mentioning?

Yes, all alternative energy installations, just like all conventional energy installations, as well as pretty much everything mankind builds has an impact on wildlife in the area. I used to have a bird fly into my glass patio door every couple of months, and about once a year one died.

What is needed, to be sure, is sensitivity to the natural world as we site major projects of any kind. Hydroelectric plants kill fish. Wind farms kill birds. Fossil fuel generators kill fish and birds. There's an effect to everything, yet we need power. So the thing to do it to minimize the possible issues and mitigate the risks as well as we can.

And keep the problems that do show up in perspective.

Last edited by OpenD; 11-25-2013 at 09:17 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living