Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 05:08 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,464,547 times

Advertisements

In my view this thread is in the wrong forum completely, because the article has nothing whatsoever to do with Green Living - which is a commitment to a way of living that is environmentally sustainable. And now it is being dragged even further off topic by the meandering non-sequiters which have followed.

I propose that this thread be moved to the Psychology forum, since the actual topic of the article, on careful reading, is Peer Pressure. Specifically, peer pressure among young mothers in New York to conform to an unspoken societal norm which has emerged within the Hipsteratii parents of the region.

As an alternative choice, perhaps the thread should be moved to the New York, New York forum, since the kind of behavior described in the article seems to flourish in that area. Not to say that it isn't found elsewhere, but because of its unique pressure cooker culture of high population density along with high population diversity, NYC has always been the fashion leader in paying undue attention to what other people are doing. With a critical eye one also notes the article was published in the New York Daily Post, a national leader in the "Ohmigard, Ain't It Awful!" school of sensationalistic fear mongering and attention grabbing. Not exactly a good basis for thoughtful discourse.

Or yet again, since the thread has now veered totally off topic into the murky and controversial world of health and organic food, perhaps it should be moved to the Politics and Other Controversies forum, or taking the most generous view, to the Health forum.

But since it has zero to do with the environment, I question what it is doing here.

Old 04-20-2014, 06:26 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,382,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
It really makes me laugh and sometimes cry when I hear all this hate GMO's back to the land talk. The vast majority of you have no idea what it takes to grow, harvest and process enough food to keep a person alive for a year.
FOOD, LAND, POPULATION and the U.S. ECONOMY

At least 1.2 acres per person is required in order to maintain current American dietary standards. Food prices are projected to increase 3 to 5-fold within this period.

The current American dietary standard needs to change. The current farming and production methods need to change. We have a dwindling food supply, but the amount of food waste in the USA is staggering, from the farm to the table. I know this is a global concern, but we have no appreciation for our food supply and are so far distanced from the source that we just don't care. The amount of heavily processed, nutritionally deficient convenience "food" on grocery store shelves is ludicrous, even organically labeled.

It's a changed society we live in, for sure, but we waste arable land and water on massive lawns in our own yards that could be growing edible plants enough to feed your family through the growing season, and probably with enough to can and preserve, or share with neighbors as well. No, you can't grow acreage consuming grains, but you can plant nutrient dense vegetables and fruit to make up a good portion of your diet. Community gardening is a wonderful thing to see in action, especially when you throw in chickens here and there for eggs (and/or meat) and a few bee hives. We don't need to be eating anywhere near as much grain or meat (or even dairy) as we typically find in the standard American diet.

Sure, as things stand now, we are doomed, but it doesn't have to be that way, and we don't have to rely on big industry to feed ourselves, but no, people want to live in their happy little HOA sub-divisions with perfectly manicured lawns rather than dig up a patch to grow a few tomato plants. People have forgotten, or have never been taught, how to cook a healthy, wholesome meal from scratch, quickly (most meals I prepare can be done in 20 minutes or less, barring roasting or baking times for some) and cost effectively. How to make the most of ingredients and to minimize waste.

We've been sold this idea that we can't fend for ourselves and we need to rely on big food companies and agribusinesses for our food, that it's worth paying for "convenience," and that throwing food away or letting it go bad is no big deal, because there's so much more out there...just look at how full the supermarket shelves are!

Old 04-20-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozgal View Post
The current American dietary standard needs to change.
So do you think policing your neighbor's food choices for their kids is an effective way to cause the social change you envision? That's what the article is about.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM

6,720 posts, read 8,400,482 times
I have tried to grow my own food, and it's tough to do it naturally and get enough yield to feed a family. I still try, but there is no way I could grow enough to feed my family.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:10 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,745,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
So do you think policing your neighbor's food choices for their kids is an effective way to cause the social change you envision? That's what the article is about.
Where do you think your medicare money goes? The number one killer in America is cardiovascular disease, so if someone is paying to help someone from drying due to bad life style choices then they should have a voice on that life style.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:25 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,924,900 times
No one is forcing anyone. They have choice which is part of freedom; no tyranny involved ;IMO.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Where do you think your medicare money goes? The number one killer in America is cardiovascular disease, so if someone is paying to help someone from drying due to bad life style choices then they should have a voice on that life style.
I think this is completely convoluted thinking. There are easily 100 ways I personally think the average person could improve their life, and a few of them I might even talk about with them if the situation seems to be appropriate.

But to stop my child from playing with your child because you bought the conventional apple your child is eating at a Safeway instead of giving them an organic apple from Whole Foods... which is the level of personal shaming and coercive peer pressure this article is talking about, it's beyond the pale! What next, community shunning?

Old 04-21-2014, 07:58 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenD View Post
I think this is completely convoluted thinking. There are easily 100 ways I personally think the average person could improve their life, and a few of them I might even talk about with them if the situation seems to be appropriate.

But to stop my child from playing with your child because you bought the conventional apple your child is eating at a Safeway instead of giving them an organic apple from Whole Foods... which is the level of personal shaming and coercive peer pressure this article is talking about, it's beyond the pale! What next, community shunning?
, indeed. That is absurd and over-the-top. There are plenty of rich snobs that I have encountered in my days, from the people you walk past in a billion dollar beach resort that look at you funny if you wear board shorts and sandals to the egotistical moms at WFs that scoff at anyone that buys something that isn't organic. I have no clue as to where they get off judging other people in that regard, it's just a first world problem I guess. They don't understand that not everyone believes what they do and just because they have money doesn't make their opinions better.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,437,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
Okay, you benefit from my tax dollars spent on things that I don't believe in or benefit from. Therefore, I should get to dictate how YOU live YOUR life whether you like it or not. Seems only fair, given your attitude expressed here.

Though I somehow think you (and a lot of other people) have lost sight of what country we actually live in and what it's supposed to represent.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:28 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Okay, you benefit from my tax dollars spent on things that I don't believe in or benefit from. Therefore, I should get to dictate how YOU live YOUR life whether you like it or not. Seems only fair, given your attitude expressed here.

Though I somehow think you (and a lot of other people) have lost sight of what country we actually live in and what it's supposed to represent.
It's a catch 22. On one hand I don't want to care what you do, on the other I'm forced to pay taxes that support your choices. That's all I'm stating. I'm not out there with a sign and tshirt telling you how to live and I never will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living