Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:56 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,213,773 times

Advertisements

Absolutely amazing how people have been duped by big business...

Quote:
Researchers found that “perceived safety concerns tied to pesticides, hormones, antibiotics and GMOs are the critical component driving sales in the organic-food sector.” Never mind that the USDA ensures the safety of our food, whether it’s conventionally grown or organic.

Time and again these safety concerns about conventional foods have been debunked.

Take the most common mommy worry — pesticides. According to the calculator at Safefruitsandveggies.com, a project of the nonprofit Alliance for Food and Farming, “a child could consume 1,508 servings of strawberries in one day without any effect even if the strawberries have the highest pesticide residue recorded for strawberries by USDA.”

Or how about this: “A teen could consume 206 servings of peaches in one day without any effect even if the peaches have the highest pesticide residue recorded for peaches by USDA.”

Nor are organic foods healthier. As Scientific America notes, 50 years of studies in the UK found that organic and conventional foods have the exact same nutritional content.
http://nypost.com/2014/04/19/the-tyr...c-mommy-mafia/

Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 AM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 10,744,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
Absolutely amazing how people have been duped by big business...

The tyranny of the organic mommy mafia | New York Post
A large majority of people that are against GMOs are against the farming practices. It destroys ecosystems by destroying native plants and soils. And there are differences between farmed fish vs. wild caught fish, grassfed beef vs. corn fed beef, organic eggs/milk etc. When it comes to conventional plants vs organic plants it is harder to prove a difference. Even tastes testing fails, people can't taste the difference. Instead people are paying a premium to not have things in their foods. Why judge them for that?

Prepackaged foods that use organic as a means to sell are terrible I agree. There are countless people that are driven by fear, that I agree on. But, there is also a sound argument for not consuming caged animal products.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:18 AM

7,280 posts, read 10,962,647 times
If organics cost more (and mostly, they do) and many people can't afford to buy them, then they aren't a food source able to sustain the population.

Say we went to a completely organic farming system, a lot of people wouldn't have to worry about organic food vs anything else because they wouldn't be able to buy food in the first place, there wouldn't be enough to go around.

As with many such things, the paradise dreamers don't look past their own backyards or if they do, their intent is anything but benign.

The biggest problem future generations will face isn't going to be global warming, weather change or trying to figure out how to cover thousands of square kilometers with solar panels to run electric cars, it will be food and water. When people don't have enough food, they could care less about climate change or just about anything else.

When you go into that store that sells exclusively organic prepared/grown foods and pick up that tidy brown paper wrapped package of organic whatever, think about feeding hundreds of millions just in the US.

For anyone that was around during the gas rationing during the 70s, imagine those to be food lines and see what happens to people.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:37 AM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
If organics cost more (and mostly, they do) and many people can't afford to buy them, then they aren't a food source able to sustain the population.

Say we went to a completely organic farming system, a lot of people wouldn't have to worry about organic food vs anything else because they wouldn't be able to buy food in the first place, there wouldn't be enough to go around.

As with many such things, the paradise dreamers don't look past their own backyards or if they do, their intent is anything but benign.

The biggest problem future generations will face isn't going to be global warming, weather change or trying to figure out how to cover thousands of square kilometers with solar panels to run electric cars, it will be food and water. When people don't have enough food, they could care less about climate change or just about anything else.

When you go into that store that sells exclusively organic prepared/grown foods and pick up that tidy brown paper wrapped package of organic whatever, think about feeding hundreds of millions just in the US.

For anyone that was around during the gas rationing during the 70s, imagine those to be food lines and see what happens to people.
There are some pointers with organic plant foods. It takes more land to produce the same yield, because a good fraction is killed off by pests and infections. Thus the problem quickly becomes a population issue. Without the rapid growth in population this world experiences by the second companies like Monsanto would not exist.

When was the last time you went to a coop? Most local farmers sell their produce for very good prices, much cheaper than regular grocery stores because their is no middle man. You can also get local meat/dairy the same way.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:28 AM

4,715 posts, read 10,529,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

You will see a lot more micro farms popping up. As an example, I'll start growing a lot more food and raising small animals to eat if that happens - heck might even grow/raise more than I need in order to sell/trade.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:35 AM

I have my own (coop), don't need to buy. Same for vegetables and fruits. What many people don't realize is that growing organically is a lot of work and that a relatively small thing few people never think about can really hurt production.

A lot of the farmers selling their produce also aren't paying anything for overhead (ala the middle man). That simply wouldn't work given the population we have today, even if it became stagnant as far as growth is concerned. It is fine for boutique markets but we aren't going to be able to feed over 300 million people that way much less export food anywhere else.

It isn't just the pests and things like that, the labor involved far exceeds that of common commercial farming. It would be really nice if organics were available for the entire population but that isn't going to happen.

It isn't the non-organically grown foods that are harming us, it is the selection of foods we choose to eat. You can see people buying "organic" granola that they eat every day, think about the high fat content, the sugar and so on in that.

For the most part, organics have become what "green" has, a marketing program.

I'm not saying organics aren't worth the effort because I have my own but our country has simply outgrown organic growing methods for more than a boutique endeavor.

Old 04-20-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakster View Post
You will see a lot more micro farms popping up. As an example, I'll start growing a lot more food and raising small animals to eat if that happens - heck might even grow/raise more than I need in order to sell/trade.
That works for you great. It works for me too but it doesn't work for most people because unless we all become micro farmers there simply isn't enough capacity in that system to feed everyone.

What if you decided to take a vacation for a few weeks? Without hiring someone (or some co-op arrangement) what do you think would be left when you got back?

Like I said, for very focused situations, organics are great, the way food should be produced but look around where most people live and what they need to do to earn a living (not to mention what they earn) and organics are for the few such as we are, that can afford to spend the time, effort and have the space to sustain our stomachs.

I wish we could as a society, set our priorities better, many of the problems we have today are because of the lack of planning in the past. We would have long ago developed the technologies to grow most of our food organically and still fed everyone. Instead, we used the technology to create more efficient profit centers that pushed us into a cycle of food production we can't escape.

Old 04-20-2014, 01:10 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,213,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
A large majority of people that are against GMOs are against the farming practices. It destroys ecosystems by destroying native plants and soils. And there are differences between farmed fish vs. wild caught fish, grassfed beef vs. corn fed beef, organic eggs/milk etc. When it comes to conventional plants vs organic plants it is harder to prove a difference. Even tastes testing fails, people can't taste the difference. Instead people are paying a premium to not have things in their foods. Why judge them for that?

Prepackaged foods that use organic as a means to sell are terrible I agree. There are countless people that are driven by fear, that I agree on. But, there is also a sound argument for not consuming caged animal products.
This article is about brainwashing, not about GMO's...

Old 04-20-2014, 01:37 PM
MJ7

Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
This article is about brainwashing, not about GMO's...
This does not mean we can't have a conversion about the whole organic movement.

I already agreed it was ridiculous, what else do you expect from this post?

Yesterday I was at Costco and I heard one of the vendors yelling out organic and GMO free, it fell in line with this article.

Old 04-20-2014, 02:52 PM

Once we moved into the industrial age, the fate of organic farming methods was sealed. Factory workers had no time to grow even small amounts of foods. Today, imagine the average American with their faces glued to some smartphone trying to grow anything.

For a lot of people in the hustle bustle lifestyles, swallowing a pill would suit them fine and when you start looking at the food supplement industry maybe we aren't so far from that.

There are 3D printers now that print food or whatever stuff they call food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living