Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2013, 03:16 AM

91 posts, read 196,068 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Currently I am in the North Indian city of Rishikesh. Last month due to extreme rainfall the Ganges river over flood. The city, and many around it were almost submerged. Few thousands were dead and the infrastructure damage is irreplaceable. It is estimated that it will take the state government 30-50 years to get the system back on track.

However life goes on. This place is a hippie haven, a major tourist attraction and the yoga capital of the world. The people on the streets are thankful but that is it. And I don't blame them....who really cares right?

One of my friends sent me an email which went like this:

Rishi,
I just asked a holistically thinking engineer: "How do you perceive the "reality" of theTehri Dam lake risk? The Indian government is giving alerts as the lake's water level is so high and might flood Rishikesh, Haridwar etc. Even Delhi would be affected. Is that a realistic scenario?"

Answer: "The risk is not there at present. But in some later future, we cannot predict about earth's requirement to neutralise the weight created by humans in concentrated spots, imbalancing the earth movement and energies.I would give 50-100 years for that."

Somehow I am worried. The calamity around me has hit hard. I was always into living green. I don't even drive, but now that I am so near to everything it effects me.

But what can I do?
Logically speaking. I am a scriptwriter and write for movies here in bollywood. I have ideas of making a film like Chinatown with the dam issue in the foreground but those are just dreams.

I could come to study something in school again...perhaps environmental science and go from there. Right now money isn't really a concern. I mean I want to earn but I hardly live like a king. But if I dedicate my life to this passion, I think it will make me more happier.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2013, 10:31 AM

23,590 posts, read 70,367,145 times
"The risk is not there at present. But in some later future, we cannot predict about earth's requirement to neutralise the weight created by humans in concentrated spots, imbalancing the earth movement and energies.I would give 50-100 years for that."
But what can I do?
Logically speaking.

First, don't take advice from illogical engineers. London, Paris, Hong Kong, New York City, and many other places have been around for far longer than 50-100 years. If the "environment" wants to take out a dam, it eventually will unless humans throw enough money at the problem to prevent it. That is pretty much a blanket statement covering ALL waterways and rivers. Your engineer friend suffers from the common human over-inflation that we are a great threat to the earth. When it is all said and done, in a few hundred thousand years, we will have had far less of an effect on the planet than plankton and cockroaches.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:20 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Reduce, reuse, recycle. That's a big start. Get Energy Star appliances. Build rain gardens to replace lawn. Bike and take transit to work. And write to all your elected representatives about how important it is to you. Even the best elected officials need cheerleaders telling them what business is contradicting, namely, a survivable planet is more important than next quarters report to Wall Street.

Old 08-12-2013, 10:50 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
Get involved in local efforts to make birth control more available and change local attitudes toward population control. It all comes down to too many people on the planet.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:09 PM

208 posts, read 330,630 times
I can not believe anyone believes the world has to many people...
Government news media propaganda works...sigh/

Old 08-12-2013, 07:25 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,422,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi851 View Post
But in some later future, we cannot predict about earth's requirement to neutralise the weight created by humans in concentrated spots, imbalancing the earth movement and energies.I would give 50-100 years for that."
That's complete, total rubbish. Like saying your body will need to neutralize the concentrated weight on one side, because a tattoo you got is imbalancing your movement and energy.

Yes, be concerned about water quality and air quality and reducing toxins in the environment, but don't worry about goofy stuff, like this. We have created nothing akin to the smallest of mountains.

Old 08-12-2013, 07:45 PM

indeed

Old 08-13-2013, 01:54 PM

5,147 posts, read 7,473,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
For certain we could do with a lot FEWER ignorant people. But then what would the Internet do for hits?

Old 08-13-2013, 05:00 PM

Speaking of "idiot's".lol
OFA Gets Zero Attendance for Climate Change Rally
OFA Gets Zero Attendance for Climate Change Rally | Washington Free Beacon

Old 08-19-2013, 03:56 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,213,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberguy1950 View Post
Don't you dare tell me I'm some sort of gullible person listening to media propaganda. You don't know m at all.
I can't believe you don't understand this is a problem, the underlying problem to all problems yourself
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living