Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 05:43 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,332,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
No manufacturer was high volume until they were. Tesla is coming out with another roadster in a few years. Investors aren't going to be mad. They are offering an upgrade to the old roadster that will give it a 400 mile range. A new roadster with a 4-500 mile range will be a huge hit.
Yeah, but no manufacturer was worth trillions and trillions of dollar until they were worth it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Yeah, but no manufacturer was worth trillions and trillions of dollar until they were worth it.
and they aren't.

Old 04-23-2017, 07:42 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Is some of the Tesla valuation hype? It very well could be.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:27 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
3. I'm quite sure Musk hasn't shared his planning with you.
He has shared it with all of us through Tesla's annual reports, stock holder meetings, public statements, and SEC filings.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:37 AM

7,132 posts, read 4,766,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Is some of the Tesla valuation hype? It very well could be.
Depends on what you mean by valuation. Tesla's capitalization is exactly what the market says it is, $49.8 billion as of today. But based on valuation metrics (price-to-book and price-to-earnings), the company is off the charts over-valued. But so was Amazon for many years. It is very hard to properly value a young company and a lot of it comes down to the public perception of the CEO (Musk plays well to investors) and the executive team.

I don't think that Tesla is over-hyped but I don't think it is a slam dunk that it will survive either. It is a lot like Amazon was 20 years ago - tons of debt, ambitious charismatic CEO, revolutionary idea. But the numbers only work out if Tesla can crank up the volume which has so far been challenging for them to do.

Old 04-23-2017, 11:49 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoByFour View Post
Depends on what you mean by valuation. Tesla's capitalization is exactly what the market says it is, $49.8 billion as of today. But based on valuation metrics (price-to-book and price-to-earnings), the company is off the charts over-valued. But so was Amazon for many years. It is very hard to properly value a young company and a lot of it comes down to the public perception of the CEO (Musk plays well to investors) and the executive team.

I don't think that Tesla is over-hyped but I don't think it is a slam dunk that it will survive either. It is a lot like Amazon was 20 years ago - tons of debt, ambitious charismatic CEO, revolutionary idea. But the numbers only work out if Tesla can crank up the volume which has so far been challenging for them to do.
Just saying the same thing as you, it could be. I don't really care. I hope he succeeds.

Old 04-29-2017, 01:43 AM

926 posts, read 978,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What is 'best' for the nation, the economy, the planet? Gets debated a lot. There are many opinions on these topics.

I have no idea if Tesla will survive. I have no idea of Solar City will survive.

I generally dislike anything that involves tax subsidies. A business should thrive or fail based on it's business model, and NEVER based on tax subsidies. Taxing the masses to give money to a select few, seems to usually end up as a scam.

For me personally I like solar power, so I have a solar power array powering our house. Is solar power the answer for our nation? I have no idea. I do not think there should be any tax subsidies in the solar industry.

I am in favor of electric cars. We own a hybrid now, and we plan for our next car to be a plug-in. I am not wealthy, it is kind of insulting to say for 'well-to-do'.

My job is to look out for my household. What suits us best is solar power, solar thermal and maybe wind some day.
i'd support as much as subsidies for green companies. The technology and financial strength of those entities striving to make green products are not mature and leader of those to make it viable business model have a challenging path ahead so I believe it is worth of subsidy. I hate when huge portion of my tax dollar goes to war like Afghan, Iraq and Syria. Because of terrible mismanagement and military leadership most of those tax money probably ended up in the hands of terrorists themselves.

Old 06-11-2017, 07:49 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyl3r View Post
Maybe you're right, maybe not. I don't see a lot of sources sited for what you're saying.

Fer instance: | National Review

Elon Musk's growing empire is fueled by $4.9 billion in government subsidies - LA Times

Musk's solar, EV & space projects are scams devised to profit by govt money, not to solve problems.

Think about it: a Hi Performance electric vehicle??? I thought the mainstay of green living was Reduce, recycle & re-use?

Old 06-11-2017, 08:27 AM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
TESLA is now America's second-largest automaker, by net worth, according to this month's "Wall Street Journal."

Reminds me of some one called Madoff. The numbers look great. But there is nothing there to back it up. All hype and yep a new vehicle is coming out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living