Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2017, 04:15 PM

926 posts, read 978,936 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Threads full of idiocy such as this one are precisely why I'm tempted to immediately leave whenever the term "global warming" is invoked.

I'm prepared to look a little deeper when the term "climate change", as opposed to the alarmist "global warming" is invoked. Climate change isn't merely real it's easily documentable via both empirical research and historical fact. But some of those facts, such as the "little Ice Age" of 700-900 C E -- long before human activity could have been a factor, or the fact that the Sahara Desert was a somewhat wetter region as recently as Roman times, lead me to concluded that data involved can be very selectively manipulated from any point of view.

"Junk science" is a fertile playground for dreamers of every stripe; and while the practitioners of "hard science" are worthy of our respect, it needs to be recognized that our media-saturated culture provides new opportunities for adherents of a controversial belief within the scientific community for power, influence, and possible financial gain. And also, that any proposed "remedy" for the effects of climate change, assuming that a threat can be identified, has to be organized in a manner that the economy can afford.

The dreamers and children -- be they actual primary-schoolers or just overgrown teenagers with an overdose of Star Trek, have to be confined firmly to back-row seats if the rest of us are going to come up with something that actually works, and a way to pay for it -- assuming it's needed in the first place.
Depending on how you look at it, it is either junk science or brainstorming
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2017, 10:33 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
Sounds like it is self correcting to me, climate change warms earth and the sea rises flooding the coastal residents some wont move and the impact is reduced population. Then the earth cools and the cycle begins again.

How is it a world that some claim can evolve man from nothing without an outside influence but is too weak to evolve out of the climate change effects on earth? Which sounds harder to do?

Old 04-27-2017, 07:01 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
The Crazy thing is the continued arguments over cause and effect. That ship has sailed. The discussion should be about what we can do to live in a world with a changing environment. I'm pretty sure our ancient ancestors did not muck around discussing why the glaciers were bearing down on them daily.The discussed how to keep living with it...
I believe you are probably correct.

CO2 emissions would have to go to zero to stop further global warming, because CO2 stays in the atmosphere for thousands of years. Merely slowing CO2 emissions with windmills and solar panels won't stop global warming, it only slows it down a little.

Even if the entire planet switched to nuclear power for electricity generation, we would still be dependent on petroleum for transportation. Our best batteries store ~100 times less energy per mass than gasoline, diesel, and jet fuel. In addition, batteries are expensive and only last a few years before losing capacity.

The only realistic solution is adaptation.

50 years from now, a billion people in India may need to move to Siberia just to survive. Won't that be fun.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:18 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,758,240 times
Unless the entire human race focuses on the environment none of this really matters unfortunately. I believe the environment should be our #1 concern but with that being said I think global warming is a natural occurrence that happens over time and cannot be changed. Now with that being said I think humans have definitely sped up the process of global warming and therefore this is the only area in which we may be able to help and helping will only slow it down, not stop it.

Old 04-27-2017, 10:17 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
alter the earth's orbit (I'd say about 10K - 20K miles) further away from the sun and continue on as before.

Old 04-27-2017, 12:33 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
alter the earth's orbit (I'd say about 10K - 20K miles) further away from the sun and continue on as before.
How will we do that? A giant "laser?"

Old 04-27-2017, 01:28 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,048,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How will we do that? A giant "laser?"

well, a giant "laser" would be one way to do it, but I was thinking they could run the electricity to, instead of from, all of the wind generators on the planet and "propeller" our way to the new orbit location.

Old 04-27-2017, 01:52 PM

926 posts, read 978,936 times
Quote:
well, a giant "laser" would be one way to do it, but I was thinking they could run the electricity to, instead of from, all of the wind generators on the planet and "propeller" our way to the new orbit location.
i hope u're not mglian.

Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,298,154 times
Quote:
Maybe everyone on the planet could face the equator and sneeze in unison. Or face the north pole, bend over, and fart simultaneously.

Old 04-27-2017, 03:05 PM

2,176 posts, read 1,323,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoisite View Post
Water is not a renewable resource. It needs to be conserved, not thrown away into space.

Copy that- no new water on The planet- save what we have since dinosaurs roamed the Earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living