Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2017, 07:20 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The cost of producing juice via coal/gas/nuclear is only 2-3 cents per kW-hr, but most of us in the US are paying 20-30 cents --the premium being due to taxes--and therefore totally controllable by the powers that be (no pun intended.)
This a lie.
Quote:
Here's an interesting comparison of prices for various countries with the added factor of repair/replacement costs added in.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cost_o...city_by_source
shows wind is cheaper than coal and nuclear.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 02:51 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Calling it a lie is the lie:

"Nuclear energy is one of America’s lowest-cost “round the clock” electricity sources, with national average production costs at 2.4 cents per kilowatt-hour in 2012. Similarly, the average cost of electricity produced by coal was 3.27 cents per kilowatt-hour, natural gas 3.4 cents."
Nuclear Power’s Production Costs Are Low | Nuclear Matt…

www.nuclearmatters.com/economic-engines/low-costs

And, yes, wind can be as cheap as gas, but not nearly as reliable.

Oh,... and nice cherry pick on that graph-- wind doesn't look nearly as good on some the others cited...and you seem to be silent about PV's excessive costs.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:33 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
I may be one of the few, but why does cost matter? The way I see it, you cant put a price on protecting the environment. If it is going to a good cause than its worth it in my eyes. Paying my utilities is no different than when I need gas for my car. When my tank is on empty, I stop at the first gas station and fill up. I don't really care what brand it is or the price, if I need gas I will get it; I couldn't even tell you what I pay per gallon as it just one of those things I need and doesn't make sense to shop around. Now if I was shopping for a want rather than a need I will be the first to run a price comparison to get the best deal. In this comparison I see renewable energy sources as a need rather than a want.

Old 07-18-2017, 05:03 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,727,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I may be one of the few, but why does cost matter? The way I see it, you cant put a price on protecting the environment. If it is going to a good cause than its worth it in my eyes. Paying my utilities is no different than when I need gas for my car. When my tank is on empty, I stop at the first gas station and fill up. I don't really care what brand it is or the price, if I need gas I will get it; I couldn't even tell you what I pay per gallon as it just one of those things I need and doesn't make sense to shop around. Now if I was shopping for a want rather than a need I will be the first to run a price comparison to get the best deal. In this comparison I see renewable energy sources as a need rather than a want.
Any number of the old, poor, disenfranchised etc. etc. who have to decide to buy food or higher dollar electricity would disagree with you.....

Old 07-18-2017, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Calling it a lie is the lie:

"Nuclear energy is one of America’s lowest-cost “round the clock†electricity sources, with national average production costs at 2.4 cents per kilowatt-hour in 2012. Similarly, the average cost of electricity produced by coal was 3.27 cents per kilowatt-hour, natural gas 3.4 cents."
Nuclear Power’s Production Costs Are Low | Nuclear Matt…

www.nuclearmatters.com/economic-engines/low-costs

And, yes, wind can be as cheap as gas, but not nearly as reliable.

Oh,... and nice cherry pick on that graph-- wind doesn't look nearly as good on some the others cited...and you seem to be silent about PV's excessive costs.
From a site called "nuclear matters"? Oh sure, I believe.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:05 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
Any number of the old, poor, disenfranchised etc. etc. who have to decide to buy food or higher dollar electricity would disagree with you.....
I am sure they would but the environment should not be on the negotiating table.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
From a site called "nuclear matters"? Oh sure, I believe.
OK, Mr. Wizard-- YOU give us a citation for cost of energy production. My point is, it's less than half of what our electric bills show--most of the actual cost to us is tax.

Re: why worry about cost? Ask the one million Germans (~1%) who get the juice cut off each year due to inability to pay. In US, cut-off rate is on the order of 0.1%.

High Costs and Errors of German Transition to Renewable Energy - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Energy Poverty in Germany

Old 07-18-2017, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I am sure they would but the environment should not be on the negotiating table.

??? Is not H. sapiens a part of the environment and a species worth protecting?

Old 07-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Quote:
OK, Mr. Wizard-- YOU give us a citation for cost of energy production. My point is, it's less than half of what our electric bills show--most of the actual cost to us is tax.

Re: why worry about cost? Ask the one million Germans (~1%) who get the juice cut off each year due to inability to pay. In US, cut-off rate is on the order of 0.1%.

High Costs and Errors of German Transition to Renewable Energy - SPIEGEL ONLINE

Energy Poverty in Germany
Guido, I keep trying to help you, but you resist knowledge like an eight year old fights taking a bath. I used your previous source to post a graph of wholesale power costs. It shows wind cheaper than new nuclear and new coal. It's your source. Live with it.

BTW look up terms you quote before you naively assume you know their meaning. "Production cost" in the utility industry is just the operating costs of a plant. That's not the full cost. Do a little studying and get back to us when you actually understand the difference between "busbar cost" and "production cost".

Old 07-18-2017, 08:04 AM

BTW, TreeHuggers-- if you were buying a car and could chose between a reliable make, say, Japanese, and an unreliable make, say, Russian built, and they were both the same price, which would you chose?

How much cheaper would the crummy one have to be before it became a good buy?

But you're telling us we should pat MORE for the unreliable model of electricity?

You can't be reasonable with an unreasonable man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living