Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 08:08 AM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Guido, I keep trying to help you, but you resist knowledge like an eight year old fights taking a bath. I used your previous source to post a graph of wholesale power costs.

Brush up on your reading comprehension skills. The graph I sited lists LCOE--production & delivery costs plus construction, maintenance & replacement costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2017, 08:11 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Calling it a lie is the lie:

"Nuclear energy is one of America’s lowest-cost “round the clock” electricity sources, with national average production costs at 2.4 cents per kilowatt-hour in 2012. Similarly, the average cost of electricity produced by coal was 3.27 cents per kilowatt-hour, natural gas 3.4 cents."
Nuclear Power’s Production Costs Are Low | Nuclear Matt…

www.nuclearmatters.com/economic-engines/low-costs

And, yes, wind can be as cheap as gas, but not nearly as reliable.

Oh,... and nice cherry pick on that graph-- wind doesn't look nearly as good on some the others cited...and you seem to be silent about PV's excessive costs.
Quote:
Brush up on your reading comprehension skills. The graph I sited lists LCOE--production & delivery costs plus construction, maintenance & replacement costs.
Guido, you are your own worst enemy. I'm just quoting you.

Old 07-18-2017, 08:33 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,760,732 times
Quote:
??? Is not H. sapiens a part of the environment and a species worth protecting?
The environment allows us to sustain life and without a healthy environment we would not exist. The point of protecting the environment is so that future generations have a place to live. Putting the environment second is like putting your shoes on before your socks.

I also feel that we are overpopulated right now which adds to the difficulty in allowing renewable energy to support us 100%. The number of people on this planet also are a huge contributor to the pollution problems we face as well as numerous other things. If you decrease the population the pollution will drop and renewable resources issues we face today will become a thing of the past as there would not be as much demand.

Technology works backwards in my opinion. It allows us to live longer by advances in safety, medicine, etc.. yet it doesn't provide us anyway to sustain all of these extra people which is why we have the issues we have today. Once technology has the answers to sustain life comfortably with fewer negative impacts to the environment only then should it be improving safety standards, medicine, etc..

The earth does not need us, we need it and should protect it at whatever cost.

Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangman66 View Post
I may be one of the few, but why does cost matter? The way I see it, you cant put a price on protecting the environment. If it is going to a good cause than its worth it in my eyes. Paying my utilities is no different than when I need gas for my car. When my tank is on empty, I stop at the first gas station and fill up. I don't really care what brand it is or the price, if I need gas I will get it; I couldn't even tell you what I pay per gallon as it just one of those things I need and doesn't make sense to shop around. Now if I was shopping for a want rather than a need I will be the first to run a price comparison to get the best deal. In this comparison I see renewable energy sources as a need rather than a want.
Some people only see renewable energy as being 'expensive'.

In each thread they will insist that it can not work because it is expensive.

It would appear that is the only dimension that these people want to think within.

Old 07-18-2017, 10:55 AM

18,492 posts, read 9,159,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

It would appear that is the only dimension that these people want to think within.
In the real world, cost matters. How much money are you willing to spend for environmental protection? Are you willing to donate your entire net worth to Greenpeace or the World Wildlife Fund? If not, than you admit that cost is certainly a factor.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:13 AM

37,465 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
In the real world, cost matters. How much money are you willing to spend for environmental protection? Are you willing to donate your entire net worth to Greenpeace or the World Wildlife Fund? If not, than you admit that cost is certainly a factor.
I do not have a clue why you want to bring Greenpeace or the World Wildlife Fund into this discussion.

When I look around at my neighbors, In Real Life, all of them have generators and they spend a lot of money each year on fuel, striving to get reliable electricity. [something the power company 'Emera Maine' is not capable of doing here on the East Coast.]

For me, it is less expensive to install a photovoltaic system, then to copy what most of my neighbors with generators are doing [and the fuel they consume].

I still have no clue what Greenpeace or the World Wildlife Fund, would have to do with this thread.

???

If you have some other option, I am willing to listen to that option.

How can we get reliable electricity for cheaper than operating generators here on the East Coast?

Do you have any contribution to the thread of how to get 30-days of continuous power to a home? And for the sake of Real Life lets ignore commercial power companies [instead of chasing down rabbit holes of fantasy].

Old 07-18-2017, 02:51 PM

7,259 posts, read 5,131,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

No, you have that wrong.

Reasons to use personal, alternative energy production: a) you live too far off the grid to get connected at a reasonable price (b) energy security

Reasons to use commercial, centralized energy production-- a) you live in a region of the world where cost of wind or solar is lower than cost of fossil or nuclear fuels and are willing to put up with an unreliable energy grid

Large scale alternative energy production must be coupled with nuclear or fossil fuel energy IF you want reliability.

Reducing fossil fuel use will not help the environment. Those of us who are well versed in biology know the environment would actually be better served by a higher atm[co2]

The warming seen from 1980 -2000 was routine, normal cyclic variation in weather and had nothing to do with atm[co2]. The proof of that is the observations that temps do cycle regularly from natural causes and that there is very poor correlation (r^2 virtually zero) between atm[co2] and temps.

If you're not helping the environment as the gullible Warmers claim, why pay more for unreliable energy?

Old 07-18-2017, 03:14 PM

5,466 posts, read 3,064,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayStevens View Post
Not only have many governors and mayors across the US stepped up to fill in the gap in the Paris Climate Agreement, many have also committed to powering their entire communities with renewable energy.

Interestingly enough, not all of these people are making this decision for climate reasons. Many are doing this purely for economic reasons, as their communities are currently subjected to high energy prices.

https://www.fastcompany.com/40435411...enewable-power
And the subways will be windmill powered, sure.

Old 07-18-2017, 04:52 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonesg View Post
And the subways will be windmill powered, sure.
ours are.

https://www.wmata.com/about/board/.....nitiatives.pdf

Old 07-18-2017, 07:29 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Having the Mayors of large cities commit to wind/solar for their energy needs is like a ***** committing to being a virgin. It just doesn't work.

Solar and wind ALONE do NOT generate enough energy at this point in time to run a post-industrial society.

California has increased their solar and wind production, but at the same time they had to increase their natural gas generating plants at a 70/30 ratio to back up solar. That is 70% natural gas and 30% solar and wind.

http://www.latimes.com/projects/la-f...tricity-solar/

Thanks to natural gas they have so much generating capacity now...they have to sell their electricity at a loss to neighboring states. That was a smart move.

Solar works fine for the International Space Station and off-grid homes ( I have owned one for 20 years). For a urban area....it flat out does not work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living