Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 05:09 AM

7,368 posts, read 5,271,257 times

Advertisements

Many self reliance/prepper/"green" forums have whole sub-forums devoted to making soap. I never could figure that one out-- using lye, you risk serious skin, lung & eye damage, and you use a lot of energy and time, all for the sake of saving 25 cents for a bar of soap.???

Anybody making their own soap? What am I missing? Straighten me out.

OTOH- hot bread, fresh out of the oven, smeared with gobs of butter is one of the more divine selfish pleasures in life. It does take some time & effort and probably less energy efficient than store bought bread (unless you have a wood burning oven), but well worth the sacrifice.

Anybody doing that? Got a good recipe or trick to share?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:27 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,649,562 times
Shampoo bars can run over $4 each in some places and can be made without lye. The last batch I made was fragrance-free and closer to $0.45 cents a bar. I'll look for the recipe later. In the meantime, you can Google various recipes if interested.

Baking bread is a fall/winter activity for me. I'm not doing it to save money as much as to avoid all the crap they put in bread these days, especially HFCS. Homemade bread and soup can taste wonderful, plus be a frugal option, depending on the recipe.

If you don't know how to bake bread, start with a simple white bread recipe and ignore the diet police who go on endlessly about bread being bad, bad, bad.

Old 08-24-2017, 08:59 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,429,550 times
Soap? No. Too messy, and I'm not willing to keep lye in the house. I purchase unpackaged bar soap from the local health food store.

Bread? Guilty. I love baking bread! And my house is solar, so I don't feel guilty about running the electric oven.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:24 AM

385 posts, read 443,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
Shampoo bars can run over $4 each in some places and can be made without lye. The last batch I made was fragrance-free and closer to $0.45 cents a bar. I'll look for the recipe later. In the meantime, you can Google various recipes if interested.

Baking bread is a fall/winter activity for me. I'm not doing it to save money as much as to avoid all the crap they put in bread these days, especially HFCS. Homemade bread and soup can taste wonderful, plus be a frugal option, depending on the recipe.

If you don't know how to bake bread, start with a simple white bread recipe and ignore the diet police who go on endlessly about bread being bad, bad, bad.
This.

Soap doesn't have to be made with lye...and yes, please, on that recipe.

Same with the bread. It is a joy to eat your own homemade bread and I don't even care all that much for bread. I am as keto/paleo as they come and even I will eat my own bread. Just saying... :-D

Old 08-24-2017, 10:37 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,771 posts, read 81,743,750 times
There is very little that tastes as good as home made bread still warm out of the oven. It's one of those things that I look forward to in the fall/winter when it doesn't hurt to heat up the house. With a gas oven, buying flour in the 25 lb' sack from Costco, it's still fairly energy efficient, but then some things like bread and slow-cooked pulled pork are worth the energy expense.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:29 PM

7,368 posts, read 5,271,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naadarien View Post
This.

I am as keto/paleo as they come and even I will eat my own bread. Just saying... :-D
It's actually pretty hard to get enough of the B vitamins from a meat based diet. A couple slices of bread each day will do it. It's really the yeast that provides the vits.

Old 08-25-2017, 05:55 AM

385 posts, read 443,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
It's actually pretty hard to get enough of the B vitamins from a meat based diet. A couple slices of bread each day will do it. It's really the yeast that provides the vits.
Both of those diets support a pretty high volume of veggies, legumes, and nuts. No worries.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:24 AM

18,571 posts, read 18,871,871 times
Never baked soda bread but its supposed to be really easy.. very popular in Ireland. BBC Food - Recipes - Irish soda bread

Old 08-25-2017, 08:02 AM

17,077 posts, read 13,429,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Never baked soda bread but its supposed to be really easy.. very popular in Ireland. BBC Food - Recipes - Irish soda bread
It's very easy, and quite good with honey butter.

Old 08-25-2017, 08:30 AM

18,571 posts, read 18,871,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomparent View Post
It's very easy, and quite good with honey butter.
yes Ive tasted some but never baked it... might give it a try..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living