Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2018, 10:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,726 posts, read 58,079,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_CO View Post
Thank you!

You just listed part of my dream list there -- especially NZ!
I have wanted to visit the Columbia Gorge -- but here it rains alot there (so unsure of living there). But they say that on England too (I have been lucky with English weather)

So great you got to live in all those places!
If still younger than 31... get to NZ ASAP!!! join 10,000 German young gals (and a few guys) who do it annually. Stay a yr, extend a yr. Hopefully find a career allowing immigration (if you ever plan to need Healthcare).

Columbia Gorge is at ~ 70 days in a row without rain (Very smokey at the moment...)
Sept and Oct is my favorite time. See the Aspen in NM and CO, then head to PNW (2 day drive, including detours to hot springs and mtns on the way.) Or grab a $25 Frontier 'Bear Den' fare to PDX for Oktoberfest season. (special promotions). Oregon Coast is spectacular in Oct (Red sunsets) 1.2 hrs from PDX. 100% public access.

England can be very damp, I prefer spring (flowers and flowering trees and Canola fields).. Bring a Royal Oak Pass to enjoy 300+ country / National Trust estates (Free)

Consider a Wales Horse tour / trek... Stable to stable along the coast. Stay till June and enjoy the best weather in Ireland. Load a Maps.me app and seek 'historical sites'. We we SOLO (no tourists) in many ruins / castles / parks / monolith rocks and towers. Botanical Gardens in Dublin are not to be missed! The National Botanic Gardens of Ireland
9 beautiful gardens in Ireland you should visit soon · TheJournal.ie

BTW... I found nearby Wales and Scotland a better 'match' for me than England / Lake District (trendy, crowded, expensive) but all are nice. I focus on 'traveling / staying / imbedding as a local' and for <$ 50/ day (including transportation (most expensive part)). Often I barter 'work / volunteering' for free room and board. We have such a spot in Lake District on a 400 acre estate / retreat center. Have experienced it in all seasons, but Spring is my favorite (Master Gardener / photography, animal husbandry / farm kid)

IN USA... Blue Ridge Parkway / Smokey Mtn NP, (NE TN), NH 'Gaps', Natchez Trace, scenic and historical routes have been nice places to hang out for awhile and explore. We will be doing a few 'remodels' / primary residence rolls ($500k Income tax free every 24 months) to try these areas, but will likely not stay forever anywhere in USA (We need Healthcare, which is inaccessible & unaffordable in USA once you are age 50+). Lots of gems in USA... Such a Villages of Van Buren in SE IA!. http://villagesofvanburen.com/

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-22-2018 at 10:49 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2018, 12:38 PM

7,778 posts, read 6,392,491 times
You don't mention things like your age, livelihood, or whether this is to be permanent or temporary.

In my experience as a senior, walkability is a negative.

Thirty years ago I lived in a beach town, 7000 residents, where we could walk to the beach, ride a bicycle to the little park and watch the dolphins. Today none of that is doable.

Old 08-28-2018, 09:03 PM

51 posts, read 57,450 times
Probably a permanent move, although I am wanderer at heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living