Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 07:57 PM

51 posts, read 57,611 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have a vision of living someplace friendly and safe that is reasonably priced which has LOTS of walking/hiking (including some mountains/hills) within a 1/2 hour radius and near water / a lake, perhaps population 10,000 through small city sized and the town/city has what is needed (groceries, church, cultural activities, restaurants...) I like the idea too of living in a community -- forgot the term for that.

Ideally, it has good transportation (so I do not have to always use my car).

The closest I seem to get to this is the lakes region in NH.
In England, the Lakes region comes to mind... (yes, I would consider that too for awhile!)

Does anyone know such a place?

Thank you for your time!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2018, 01:32 PM

9,899 posts, read 7,789,158 times
I live in the northwest section of South Carolina, lots of small towns in this area that fit your description with the lakes and mountains nearby.

Old 08-18-2018, 04:06 PM

7,320 posts, read 5,200,943 times
Probably every state has something along the lines you're looking for.

WI has a several long hiking trails like The 400 which basically follows the course of the farthest extent of the glaciers in the last glaciation. I believe WI was the first place an old railroad right-of way was turned into a bike/hiking trail. https://www.trails.com/wisconsin

WI is famous for its lakes & trout streams, not to mention we're over-run with deer. Wolves are making a strong comeback and elk have been re-introduced recently. Then there's the world famous crane sanctuary/reserve in Baraboo. They're the guys that are helping save the Whooping Crane by dressing up like cranes and flying with them in an ultra-lite plane. https://www.savingcranes.org/

WI is a good place to live and is a "workers' market" right now with unemployment less than 3%.

There's a WI PBS TV show that highlights another small town each week that you may find informative and give you a flavor for the place https://www.pbs.org/show/around-corner-john-mcgivern/

Good luck with your search.

Old 08-18-2018, 05:48 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,798,424 times
Just curious why you're having a hard time finding this in Colorado. Because a lot of people who are looking for exactly what you're looking for move TO Colorado to find it.

Old 08-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Thank you!
I have thought of WI maybe a decade ago. It seems such a friendly, quiet state. Heard it gets cold though in the winter... so unsure. But I do appreciate the positive info and good to hear the economy is good -- sometime maybe I can visit and check it out!

Old 08-20-2018, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueg View Post
Just curious why you're having a hard time finding this in Colorado...
Colorado has a sprawling front range between Colorado Springs and Ft Collins. And then it has smaller towns, typically a distance from the city. The ski resort towns can be expensive with limited affordable housing availability. You can get lucky though and find something. Those that are closer to the city are more expensive. That's what I see anyway. I am hoping for towns or small cities close enough to the amenities of a city. Also, I am thinking of moving to the east coast -- I know people there and there are some other benefits to living there. I just do not know specifically where --

Old 08-20-2018, 09:03 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times
In Colorado I liked Estes Park for walkability. Tho I grew up in Masonville... (population 5) Our ranch is now a Mtn Bike park No more cow-pies, only people (Lots more people than cows)
Colorado is ideal for walk-ability and road biking too,. (Wide shoulders)

Living in Switzerland was sweet for Walkability / every day thousands of 'seniors' take the train village to village and 'trek' their way home. As are many smaller European villages (In Dolomites, and also in Spain and Bavaria). Greece was very nice for walking! Portugal 'Walled cities' in the eastern frontier!

Since I grew up near National Parks, I find them a great place to hang out (Live near) But short on Groceries / walkability score.
Extensive trails a few minutes outside my door in PNW (National protected Scenic Area) Water falls and potential CLIFF falls!

Our rural TX town has a several mile trek along the River front

Old 08-21-2018, 08:16 PM

May I ask: What is PNW?

I loved Switzerland, Bernese Oberland area! I am glad you got to live there!

I think of living a year or so in the Lakes Region of England. That is something like what I am seeking; so many hikes right out your doorstep! But don't know the equivalent in the USA.

Happy Travels :-)

Old 08-21-2018, 08:25 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,779 posts, read 58,241,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_CO View Post
May I ask: What is PNW?

I loved Switzerland, Bernese Oberland area! I am glad you got to live there!

I think of living a year or so in the Lakes Region of England. That is something like what I am seeking; so many hikes right out your doorstep! But don't know the equivalent in the USA.

Happy Travels :-)
PNW = Pacific Northwest (USA)
Plenty of hiking out my doorstep.
Columbia River Gorge Hikes - Hiking in Portland, Oregon and Washington
https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/o...al-scenic-area
Wenatchee / Leavenworth, WA very nice area with great regional transportation

30 yrs in CO (Estes Park area in general, quite good nearby hiking)

USA...Blue Ridge parkway, and near North Conway NH and the Upper Penn of MI, NW AR... have lots of very nice and nearby hiking.
Wash DC!!! trails everywhere, and great biking,
Just live next to / within a US National Park!

Have spent much time in Lake District England, very nice for trekking
Scotland, Wales, and Ireland works as well,

Belgium and Holland if you like to bike!

If under age 31... NZ!!! (south side of South Island)
Italy coast
Greece
Croatia
Japan
Korea
(many more)

Old 08-21-2018, 08:35 PM

Thank you!

You just listed part of my dream list there -- especially NZ!
I have wanted to visit the Columbia Gorge -- but here it rains alot there (so unsure of living there). But they say that on England too (I have been lucky with English weather)

So great you got to live in all those places!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living