Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2018, 08:03 AM

23,865 posts, read 33,540,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
The week following Christmas? You mean after January 5, 2019?
I believe they're talking about people who's trash gets picked up right after Christmas.

My street was unbelievable. I have neighbors with adult kids who's trash bins were over flowing. We're a family of 4 adults; one 5 year old and one almost 2 that's here every morning before day care and every other weekend. We barely even make trash and I'm pretty proud of it. We compost whatever we can and try to eat all of the food that's made. It's rare we throw old food out.

I wish they'd mandate recyclable packaging for toys whether it's made from recyclable plastic or they go back to boxes. Even with 2 kids getting toys we didn't make as much trash as most of my neighbors. I always wonder how they make so much trash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2018, 09:30 AM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I believe they're talking about people who's trash gets picked up right after Christmas.

My street was unbelievable. I have neighbors with adult kids who's trash bins were over flowing. We're a family of 4 adults; one 5 year old and one almost 2 that's here every morning before day care and every other weekend. We barely even make trash and I'm pretty proud of it. We compost whatever we can and try to eat all of the food that's made. It's rare we throw old food out.

I wish they'd mandate recyclable packaging for toys whether it's made from recyclable plastic or they go back to boxes. Even with 2 kids getting toys we didn't make as much trash as most of my neighbors. I always wonder how they make so much trash.

All of our trash consists of packaging material. Food scraps makes their way to the manure pile after being processed by a chicken, goat or pig first.

Prior to about 1960, hardly any non-food merchandise came packaged, except for wood, then cardboard shipping crates containing several items to be sold right out of the crate or piled loose in bins on store counters and shelves. But in those days, merchandise was wood or metal and you needed a sledge to break them.

Now everything is cheap, flimsy plastic & often delicate electronics and requires Styrofoam protection so it won't get demolished in shipping.

Old 01-03-2019, 11:36 AM

2,754 posts, read 7,421,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I Some dead Christmas trees will be recycled into mulch, etc,. but many more will pile up in the dumps. .
People continue to romanticize having a "real" tree.

Silly.

Old 01-03-2019, 12:49 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NARFALICIOUS View Post
People continue to romanticize having a "real" tree.

Silly.

It's traditional, connecting them to their living families & previous generations thru the years and their cultures. They're entitled to their belief system.

Please document your statement that it's silly in any way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living