Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2019, 05:19 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,354,685 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Assessments are prepared for a farm not for each turbine.
The scope of such an analysis sounds about right. To submit less to analysis would present a strong legal complaint for "piecemealing" under NEPA. However, I disagree that an EA is ever sufficient for such large affected areas as those we see here on the TX/NM South Plains in some of these larger wind farms.

I'm surprised genuine environmentalists, if there are such animals, have yet to challenge that EAs are extremely insufficient for such huge projects as some of these wind farms in Texas. However, this is poor west Texas farming country. Many Texans don't even know this area of the State exists and the same number of Texans and environmentalists would readily surrender it to any carpetbagger's proposal if it brings profit to their own pocketbook or their sick political agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2019, 05:14 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,993,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
The scope of such an analysis sounds about right. To submit less to analysis would present a strong legal complaint for "piecemealing" under NEPA. However, I disagree that an EA is ever sufficient for such large affected areas as those we see here on the TX/NM South Plains in some of these larger wind farms.

I'm surprised genuine environmentalists, if there are such animals, have yet to challenge that EAs are extremely insufficient for such huge projects as some of these wind farms in Texas. However, this is poor west Texas farming country. Many Texans don't even know this area of the State exists and the same number of Texans and environmentalists would readily surrender it to any carpetbagger's proposal if it brings profit to their own pocketbook or their sick political agenda.
You are aware that if an EA finds significant impact an EIS is triggered? An individual wind farm is actually quite small compared to the scope of an EIS. BLM conducted an EIS of wind development on western lands under its control. That is the scale at which an EIS is appropriate and at that level, it is being done. Farmers do much more damage to the environment than wind farms.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
You are aware that if an EA finds significant impact an EIS is triggered?
Possibly more than you will ever guess or know.

Old 08-25-2019, 09:10 PM

So why was the entirety of the Hale (County) Wind Farm shut down all day today and, on a safety issue, why are there no red clearance lights operating on any of the turbine towers tonight? I guess everyone must be at church or could it be just another "oops"?

Clear now for birds of prey but small aircraft beware.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:28 AM

Quote:
So why was the entirety of the Hale (County) Wind Farm shut down all day today and, on a safety issue, why are there no red clearance lights operating on any of the turbine towers tonight? I guess everyone must be at church or could it be just another "oops"?

Clear now for birds of prey but small aircraft beware.
Perhaps you could tell us. Maybe no wind?

Old 08-26-2019, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Perhaps you could tell us. Maybe no wind?
I doubt that the lack of wind would cause clearance lights for safety purposes not to work but we've had 10 to 18 mph winds yesterday and about the same today and the turbine blades are still not moving today. The turbines are all pointed to the SE when the wind direction is from the NW.

Since I'm neither a farmer or an investor, I couldn't begin to guess why everything seems to be shut down.

Old 08-26-2019, 05:40 PM

Quote:
I doubt that the lack of wind would cause clearance lights for safety purposes not to work but we've had 10 to 18 mph winds yesterday and about the same today and the turbine blades are still not moving today. The turbines are all pointed to the SE when the wind direction is from the NW.

Since I'm neither a farmer or an investor, I couldn't begin to guess why everything seems to be shut down.
But the lights are still on in your house.

Old 08-26-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Most of the time yes but not due to the local noisy wind turbines. That energy supposedly is not going to anywhere in Texas.

Old 08-27-2019, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Most of the time yes but not due to the local noisy wind turbines. That energy supposedly is not going to anywhere in Texas.
Southwest Public Service isn't in Texas?

Old 08-28-2019, 07:59 AM

7,260 posts, read 5,135,660 times
Quote:

Thanks to the fossil fuel based back-up plants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living