Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2019, 07:32 PM

15,824 posts, read 6,534,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You windmill guys have an environmental disaster brewing and don't even see it coming.

https://www.audubon.org/news/will-wi...-be-safe-birds
The same article suggests several different potential solutions. Dams have their fish ladders to address salmon runs; I expect wind turbines will require their own measures.

I wonder if painting bird-of-prey silhouettes on the blades would work?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 08:22 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
The same article suggests several different potential solutions. Dams have their fish ladders to address salmon runs; I expect wind turbines will require their own measures.

I wonder if painting bird-of-prey silhouettes on the blades would work?
The solution already established is to perform careful environmental reviews in advance of building a wind farm. Bird, bat, etc assessments are prepared before ground is broken.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:33 PM

15,824 posts, read 6,534,658 times
If anybody is concerned about bird deaths, the technology they should be worried about first and foremost is insecticides. Widely applied chemicals like neonicotinoid and fipronil are deadly to bees, frogs, birds (from insect ingestion), and earthworms.

Old 08-20-2019, 04:26 PM

7,251 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
The solution already established is to perform careful environmental reviews in advance of building a wind farm. Bird, bat, etc assessments are prepared before ground is broken.

The problem is that wind farms have been given a pass on the zero tolerance rule enforced on others when it comes to killing raptors. While it's true that tall, glass buildings and house cats kill a huge number of birds, they have almost no effect on raptors or bats, which have been significantly affected wind mills.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
... Widely applied chemicals like neonicotinoid and fipronil are deadly to bees, frogs, birds (from insect ingestion), and earthworms.

Those facts are stated as if they have practical significance. Neonics are used on row crops that don't require pollination by insects, and moreover, are not usually broadcast over the acreage. They are usually used for treatment of seeds prior to sowing. Use of any insecticide generally doesn't increase yields; it helps guarantee the usual yield.... Use of chemicals in ag doesn't affect Nature anywhere near as much as does the mere loss of natural habitat that goes with plowing up large tracts of land for mono-culture planting.

Back to wind power: An Economic Loser https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/08/...for-much-less/

Old 08-20-2019, 05:24 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Wind turbine farms, certainly the size of the ones on the Texas South Plains, hopefully require environmental impact statements (EIS) under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) instead of simple environmental assessments (EA)?

EAs can easily cover up significant environmental and economic impacts with a FONSI that can be held tightly to the chest of the developer and the government agency providing funding for the program.

I certainly don't expect to see any more golden eagles here on the South Plains. With the current density of these turbines around here, I would also guess that aerial agricultural spraying has been adversely impacted. I know that local noise levels day and night have been greatly affected.

Old 08-21-2019, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Wind turbine farms, certainly the size of the ones on the Texas South Plains, hopefully require environmental impact statements (EIS) under the National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA) instead of simple environmental assessments (EA)?

EAs can easily cover up significant environmental and economic impacts with a FONSI that can be held tightly to the chest of the developer and the government agency providing funding for the program.

I certainly don't expect to see any more golden eagles here on the South Plains. With the current density of these turbines around here, I would also guess that aerial agricultural spraying has been adversely impacted. I know that local noise levels day and night have been greatly affected.
South Plains farmers love the wind farms. Raptor population is really tied to the population of prey not presence of wind farms.

Old 08-22-2019, 09:19 AM

4,336 posts, read 1,553,812 times
Quote:
Yep, stopping any hope for progress in its tracks, and then clubbing it to death with a spiked baseball bat. Brilliant!!!

Old 08-22-2019, 04:06 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,347,398 times
Quote:
South Plains farmers love the wind farms. Raptor population is really tied to the population of prey not presence of wind farms.
Where are those so-called environmental assessments? My farm is in the wind farm's footprint and I was never invited to review anything except the payout amounts.

Do you know if EAs and FONSIs prepared for each turbine or for the entire turbine farm?

Old 08-22-2019, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Where are those so-called environmental assessments? My farm is in the wind farm's footprint and I was never invited to review anything except the payout amounts.
E
Do you know if EAs and FONSIs prepared for each turbine or for the entire turbine farm?
Assessments are prepared for a farm not for each turbine. For birds it usually lasts about 15 months to cover both breeding and migration periods. There is usually a public comment period before the report is finalized, but individuals aren't in the review loop per se.

Old 08-22-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The problem is that wind farms have been given a pass on the zero tolerance rule enforced on others when it comes to killing raptors. While it's true that tall, glass buildings and house cats kill a huge number of birds, they have almost no effect on raptors or bats, which have been significantly affected wind mills.
No such rule.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living