Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 12:03 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
2nd Law of Thermodynamics makes that inefficient.

In a hybrid, electric motors power the car at low speeds, and are shut off when standing still in stop & go traffic. This avoids the inefficiency of wasting fuel at idle. The ICE kicks on at higher speeds or if the batteries run low.

This set-up makes great sense if you do much big city commuting. I'm familiar with rush hour in Chicago or LA where a 10 mile trip can take an hour-- mostly sitting still on the road.

Anybody know what a hybrid costs? Is the money saved on gas worth it?

edit: just looked it up: Camry (for example) standard ICE ~$24G and hybrid ~ $28G. With fuel $2/gal, you'd have to save 2000 gal to break even. ICE gets ~30mpg (city) and Hybrid 50mpg-- a dif of 20mpg...A 20 mi commute (40 round trip) 250 x a year would be 10,000 miles/yr. That would use 333 gal of gas in the ICE, but only 200 for the hybrid, saving $266/yr....$4000/$266=15 yrs to pay for itself. ...Worth it???...Don't know about anyone else, but I just talked myself out of it as a wise choice.
Many of the current crop of Hybrids are not actually intended to save gas, but to boost the horsepower and torque. The 2018 Acura NSX, for example, gets only 21 City / 22 Highway but has 573 Horsepower,

goes 0-60 mph in 3.1 seconds and its top speed is over 190 mph.

https://www.kbb.com/highest-horsepow...s/hybrid/2018/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 03:46 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
In a hybrid, electric motors power the car at low speeds, and are shut off when standing still in stop & go traffic. This avoids the inefficiency of wasting fuel at idle. The ICE kicks on at higher speeds or if the batteries run low.
My Prius Prime plug-in hybrid performs great on the interstate [I-95] at 82mph on EV.

The ICE turns on when the drive battery gets low.

Quote:
... This set-up makes great sense if you do much big city commuting. I'm familiar with rush hour in Chicago or LA where a 10 mile trip can take an hour-- mostly sitting still on the road.
And it is great on the interstate, and on back wood country roads, I have never tried it on inner-city traffic.

Quote:
... Anybody know what a hybrid costs? Is the money saved on gas worth it?
Mine was $27,000.

It is well worth it.

Old 03-08-2019, 06:52 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,123,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
The 2018 Acura NSX, for example, gets only 21 City / 22 Highway but has 573 Horsepower,

goes 0-60 mph in 3.1 seconds and its top speed is over 190 mph.

Wow! I'm really impressed. That'll really come on handy while you're sitting still in rush hour traffic for an hour at a time. ...Virtue signaling anybody? [Carrol Shelby, world renowned engine builder/car designer, famously had a sign over his garage: "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My Prius Prime plug-in hybrid performs great on the interstate [I-95] at 82mph on EV.

The ICE turns on when the drive battery gets low.

It is well worth it.

So, you bought an EV and paid for an extra engine that you have to lug around just in case you have to go farther than the batteries can handle. You could have bought the Carolla (ICE only) for $8000 less. It gets 36mpg (hyw). You've said you drive 25mi /d,...let's assume 5 d/wk x 50 wks = 6250 mi/yr...@ 36mpg, that's 174 gal of gas/ yr...@ $2/gal -- you'd spend $348 a yr on gas. $8000/$348 = 23 yrs of driving that EV to get your extra $8Gs back assuming your electricity is free. If the ICE ever kicks on, it'll take even longer. Glad you're happy with it...

Old 03-08-2019, 06:59 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Wow! I'm really impressed. That'll really come on handy while you're sitting still in rush hour traffic for an hour at a time. ...Virtue signaling anybody? [Carrol Shelby, world renowned engine builder/car designer, famously had a sign over his garage: "Speed costs money. How fast do you want to go?"]

So, you bought an EV and paid for an extra engine that you have to lug around just in case you have to go farther than the batteries can handle. You could have bought the Carolla (ICE only) for $8000 less. It gets 36mpg (hyw). You've said you drive 25mi /d,...let's assume 5 d/wk x 50 wks = 6250 mi/yr...@ 36mpg, that's 174 gal of gas/ yr...@ $2/gal -- you'd spend $348 a yr on gas. $8000/$348 = 23 yrs of driving that EV to get your extra $8Gs back assuming your electricity is free. If the ICE ever kicks on, it'll take even longer. Glad you're happy with it...
You were saying that hybrids only works at low speeds. Which is false. They work great at freeway speeds. And they are not expensive cars.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:23 PM

The most energy efficient configuration for a hybrid is as I described it: motors for low speed & stop & go traffic, and engine for higher speeds. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid..._vehicle_(PHEV)

Your type is used as an EV with ICE back up-- needed because range is only 25 miles/charge.

That reminds me of the old joke about the two blondes driving their classic VWs. One stalls out & stops on the side of the road. The other pulls hers over to help. The first blonde opens the front bonnet and finds it empty. "No wonder it stopped-- the engine fell out!"...""Oh, you're in luck!" says the other blonde. " I checked in my trunk today and found an extra engine there."

Old 03-09-2019, 06:45 AM

Today, 06:41 AM
[SIZE=5]pullin2[/SIZE]
befriend
61 posts, read 23,393 times

A gathering of Priuses is called a "Smug".

Or so I heard...

[RIGHT] [/RIGHT]
LOL!--Posted today on the Nature board thread "A Murder of Crows" about names for different groups of animals.

Old 03-10-2019, 07:48 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Quote:

If everything is about the almighty dollar then we would just dump our trash on the side of the road (actually, in many places this is what they do) and pour our motor oil onto the ground (many people do this also)....

The "extra engine" is a system which has regenerative braking and many other features. I challenge you to drive a Camry gas and then the Hybrid. You will notice not only the 50% better MPG (city), but the feel of the car off the line. My wife, who is looking for a new ride, LOVED that feel of no lag (turbo-lag, etc.).

So you get MUCH more "muscle car" for a relatively small premium. Considering what some people pay for engine and performance upgrades, that's not a bad deal IF it's what you desire.

The increased MPG probably comes with a decrease in pollutants. I know your almighty buck doesn't take that into account, but to MANY people it's very important.

Hybrids are the perfect ride for many people these days. Demand for many EV's is high also, but I will be the first to admit they are not yet fully mainstream. We have very high electric rates so for us the value is not there (not high mileage drivers anyway...).

But if I had PV on the roof of <14 cent KWH, I'd be looking hard.

Old 03-17-2019, 10:50 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,818 times
Quote:
2nd Law of Thermodynamics makes that inefficient.

This set-up makes great sense if you do much big city commuting. I'm familiar with rush hour in Chicago or LA where a 10 mile trip can take an hour-- mostly sitting still on the road.
I can see that you are not familiar with modern hybrids at all... which puts you in a position of being unable to add value to this discussion.

A modern hybrid will go highway speeds on EV as long as there's power in the battery. In fact, most modern hybrids will coast for several miles via only the motor since it doesn't take as much power as accelerating.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
I can see that you are not familiar with modern hybrids at all... which puts you in a position of being unable to add value to this discussion.

A modern hybrid will go highway speeds on EV as long as there's power in the battery. In fact, most modern hybrids will coast for several miles via only the motor since it doesn't take as much power as accelerating.

Perhaps you need to go add your superior knowledge to the Wikipedia entry on hybrids then : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid..._vehicle_(PHEV)

Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,799,572 times
Electric vehicles are getting better and better as time goes on. They will become more popular and their power source will most likely change as technology improves. Perhaps future technology will realize how to concentrate solar energy into a more usable form or derive power from falling rain or outside heat. There are some great minds in the world. Finding alternatives to fossil fuels is a great use of their intelligence and a tremendous benefit to our future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living