Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2019, 03:31 PM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times

Advertisements

The assertion that fast charging will shorten the battery life presumes Tesla doesn't understand battery maintenance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 05:29 PM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCforever View Post
Yeah I read your piece that said it would take six hours to charge the Tesla. Like I said, two stops per day for 30 minutes.

Please improve your knowledge base before you embarrass yourself. Read the references:
Tesla 3-- 296 miles on a 5.5 hr charge time; 176 miles on the 1/2 hr fast charge. So, driving @75mph for 176 mi takes 2 hr 20 min. Then stop for 30 minutes for charge-- over 2800 miles, you'll make 16 charging stops. you're really covering your 176 miles in 2 hr 50 min. 2800 miles like that takes 46 hrs Add in another 6-8 hours for sleep and you're taking 2+ days to go cross country while you're beating the hell out of your battery pack.....If you do the 5.5 hr full charge, it takes over 4 days.

Sub- your battery pack is "only" $3500, but that's the smaller hybrid set-up. Full EV is quite a bit more expensive. I've only bought 3 new cars since I started driving 55 y/a. I usually buy used cars, and don't think I've spent $3500 total on repairs in all that time-- including rebuilding a Ferrari, Jaguar, Mercedes and a ground up resto on a Lamborghini along the way.

The problem with no warning on the batteries is like the classic idiot light on the dash that tells you that you just ran the crankcase dry-- a little late to save the engine unless you shut it down immediately and tow it from there. These design engineers must live their whole lives on Martha's Vineyard.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:02 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Please improve your knowledge base before you embarrass yourself. Read the references:
Tesla 3-- 296 miles on a 5.5 hr charge time; 176 miles on the 1/2 hr fast charge. So, driving @75mph for 176 mi takes 2 hr 20 min. Then stop for 30 minutes for charge-- over 2800 miles, you'll make 16 charging stops. you're really covering your 176 miles in 2 hr 50 min. 2800 miles like that takes 46 hrs Add in another 6-8 hours for sleep and you're taking 2+ days to go cross country while you're beating the hell out of your battery pack.....If you do the 5.5 hr full charge, it takes over 4 days.
Why do you keep talking about level 1 charging?

Places that offer public charging stations do not have level 1 stations.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:31 AM

https://www.fleetcarma.com/todays-el...car-batteries/ -- seems to be a good review of care & feeding of EV batteries.

Note the last entry under "MaintenanceTips"=="Minimize fast charging whenever possible"...In our cross country example above, battery life is prolonged by not discharging below 50%-- so that 176 mi range on a fast charge falls to 88 miles and that gives us 32 charging stops-- not real efficient. Crosscountry driving just isn't one of the EVs strong points.

If you guys haven't noticed-- in my posts above, I've written about both pros & cons of EVs. Nothing is perfect. There's always trade-offs in engineering solutions. As I said, some of the current problems with EVs will be solved. Some won't be.

What if the new TreeHugger trend was to come to favor only farm tractors for transportation needs? Could they fill all of our needs efficiently? Why should we expect EVs to do that?

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 03-03-2019 at 08:39 AM..

Old 03-03-2019, 10:30 AM

6,848 posts, read 7,989,918 times
Quote:

Sub- your battery pack is "only" $3500, but that's the smaller hybrid set-up. Full EV is quite a bit more expensive. I've only bought 3 new cars since I started driving 55 y/a. I usually buy used cars, and don't think I've spent $3500 total on repairs in all that time-- including rebuilding a Ferrari, Jaguar, Mercedes and a ground up resto on a Lamborghini along the way.

The problem with no warning on the batteries is like the classic idiot light on the dash that tells you that you just ran the crankcase dry-- a little late to save the engine unless you shut it down immediately and tow it from there. These design engineers must live their whole lives on Martha's Vineyard.
The big difference is my neighbor just drove his Tesla from California to DC. Two stops a day plus an overnight charge. I don't pay enough attention to know which Tesla he has but it's a four door.

Old 03-03-2019, 11:13 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:

RE: bio fuels-- I've shown the numbers and stupidity of these efforts here before-- 10% ethanol uses up 1/3rd of US annual corn production for US use only. To go world-wide would use up our whole crop x4, just to save 1 gal of petrol for every 100 used. If we're on schedule to deplete petrol in 100 yrs, then use of ethanol would extend that to 101 yrs. BFD.

Bio- oil from algae-- algae must be grown in water; less densely packed cells than those of vascular plants. But it was vascular plants that got turned into our petroleum & coal reserves. Those reserves occupy a volume of 10s (if not 100s) of million of cu mi of vascular plants compressed thru the ages. They soaked up the energy of 10s of millions of years of sunlight--and we're on schedule to have released all of that energy over the course of just 2-3 centuries......To make oil from algae, how deep will those tanks have to be, where will we put them covering 10s of1000s of sq mi how much artificial light will we have to supply to get them to grow and where will we get that energy from in order to make a significant dent in in filling demand?...Just stupid to even consider it.
As usual (controlling the thread, with blinders on)...

Who mentioned Ethanol as a viable bio fue?l

There are many feedstocks and processes for biofuels that are viable at international market rates for fuels (Not at USA reduced rates).

Algae is currently one of the many future solutions for petroleum replacement. (Hint.. ICE is not disappearing tomorrow)

BTW: Millions of scientists and billions of research $ is not 'stupid' (of which most of us would have been beat to a pulp to mention such a word when talking to / about others)

We all know who the 'empty thinker' is here.. (trust us)

Old 03-03-2019, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
As usual (controlling the thread, with blinders on)...

Who mentioned Ethanol as a viable bio fue?l

There are many feedstocks and processes for biofuels that are viable at international market rates for fuels (Not at USA reduced rates).

Algae is currently one of the many future solutions for petroleum replacement. (Hint.. ICE is not disappearing tomorrow)

BTW: Millions of scientists and billions of research $ is not 'stupid' (of which most of us would have been beat to a pulp to mention such a word when talking to / about others)

We all know who the 'empty thinker' is here.. (trust us)

Do the arithmetic-- simply not enough space, let alone light to use algae as an oil source. Natural petroleum had much more area and much more time to collect Sun's energy-- which we are using up in only 300 yrs.

Scientists stupid? Well, the idea is stupid but given the govt handouts that they're living off, they're pretty smart. They get paid well for just showing up every day and pretending they're solving a problem. How do you think Musk got rich? Govt welfare is funding his company.

BTW- someone else brought up algal oil. I merely responded.

A much smarter approach to biofuels would be to put the turbine powered car into production. The technology is already there. (Andy Granatelli was outlawed from Indy Racing because he was just too fast to compete with back in the 60s.) If it, burns, it's fuel. No need for fancy hi tech fuels or need to avoid fuel impurities. You can make bathtub gin, or use your garbage or your raw grass clippings as fuel....Oh, but wait. The govt doesn't fund that.

Last edited by guidoLaMoto; 03-03-2019 at 12:06 PM..

Old 03-03-2019, 07:03 PM

6,735 posts, read 4,417,224 times
A much smarter approach to biofuels would be to put the turbine powered car into production. The technology is already there. (Andy Granatelli was outlawed from Indy Racing because he was just too fast to compete with back in the 60s.) If it, burns, it's fuel. No need for fancy hi tech fuels or need to avoid fuel impurities. You can make bathtub gin, or use your garbage or your raw grass clippings as fuel....Oh, but wait. The govt doesn't fund that.[/quote]

Chrysler produced then in the 60's. I dont think they made it into full production. I saw one on Jay Leno's Garage, interesting car for the time. He has a 1963 Chrysler turbine car. He did a whole show on the car, the show can be seen on YouTube.

Old 03-05-2019, 01:31 PM

1,875 posts, read 2,234,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
And that’s when they are new. What about when the Tesla 3 is 5 years old with 60k miles on it? I bet it doesn’t get anywhere near the original 296 mile range at that point.

Just like everything else that’s rechargeable, battery life gets shorter and shorter every time it’s recharged.
I'm not sure about the Tesla Model 3, but I just bought a used 2013 Model S 85 that had 60K miles on it. The original rated range was 265 miles (estimated 73 usage kWh), it now shows 256 miles when fully charged (~3.4% battery degradation). Based on our driving (50% driving 75mph and 50% driving at ~40mph in congested traffic with HVAC on) we see about 228 miles of range when full.

This car will remain useful for us as long as the range stays about 160 miles. For longer drives we still have a 700 mile range Golf TDI.

As for the charging times, here's some interesting information:

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thre...g-trips.57673/

https://forum.abetterrouteplanner.co...from-801-cars/

Essentially, the Tesla Supercharging speeds are faster when the SOC%(state of charge) is lower. In the case of our TMS85, it'll charge at a speed about 100kW/h until the battery hits ~38%. It tapers to a slower speed and hits 60kW/h until the battery hits 60%. To save yourself time, you'd want to Supercharge for as long as you gain enough range to get to the next Supercharging lot (of course you should give yourself a little headroom).

When I was driving the TMS85 back from Tempe, AZ, I stopped at Quartsite, AZ for 40 minutes while I ordered myself a burger. I stopped again in Indio, CA for 40 minutes to take a break, have a cup of coffee, reply to a few emails, wait out traffic, and was on my way home. So total charge time was 80 minutes to cover 375 miles; honestly if I had my TDI, I would have stopped twice for a total of 60 minutes to eat and relieve my bladder. As long as Supercharger stalls are easily available, stopping to charge is really not a big hinderance because folks shouldn't drive more than 2.5 hours without a break.

Old 03-06-2019, 04:05 AM

QED. Thank you. EVs fill a certain niche. Cross country driving is not one of them. It can be done, but then, I suppose you could also use a pogo stick to do it if you had a mind to.

Last edited by Mike from back east; 03-07-2019 at 11:54 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living