Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2008, 11:08 AM

4,729 posts, read 19,426,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewAgeRedneck View Post
TexasHorseLady

Consider this. If my intention was to convert anyone to vegetarianism, I would have the good sense to use language less likely to arouse alienation.

Even though I'd love to have more people on the vegetarian bandwagon it's not my mission to recruit or convert anyone. I'm simply floating ideas to stir the pot and get people thinking about what goes on behind the scenes when eating meat. To some it will strike a chord, and to others it will push some buttons...but only if the buttons are there to be pushed. I'm not installing the buttons!

My strongest wish, intention, desire, etc is to lessen the amount of violence on this planet. If enough people eat just a little bit less meat, fewer animals will need to be sacrificed, and perhaps some of those factory farms, which you also abhor will go out of business.

I want to acknowledge that I recognize a big differece in the way that you raise beef compared to the raising of beef on a factory farm. Even though the end result is the same, the quality of life that you provide to your animals is to be applauded. If I was an animal rasied for food, I'd much prefer to hang out on your farm than on a factory farm.

Obviously we see the world thru different lenses. Viva la difference! Between the two of us, all of the other readers of this thread are getting the benefit of a more expansive viewpoint than they would get from either one of us individually. At least to me, having acces to both sides of the story seems like a good thing.
Burger King must be applauded for this...they use free range eggs and also do not use "crate pigs" for pork anymore.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:55 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Look at the actual scientific evidence and then come back to me with supporting points from non-biased sources. Humans are not designed to be carnivores.
If we weren't designed to be carnivores, we wouldn't eat meat. You can't get a cow to eat bacon.

Old 04-28-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean98125 View Post
If we weren't designed to be carnivores, we wouldn't eat meat. You can't get a cow to eat bacon.
Actually, yes you can. The mad cow problem stemmed from cows being fed animal products from animals killed at animal shelters. You can beperfectly healthy not eating any meat, and likely have a lot less health problems. I think millions of vegeterians and the 7th Day Adventists have proved this.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Humans are omnivores, not herbivores or carnivores. Preferring a vegetarian or meat diet is one thing, arguing that humans are herbivores or carnivores and not omnivores goes entirely against what scientists have proven.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:06 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
We're not designed to be carnivores, we're designed to be omnivores. Big difference. And, again, there's natural variation within the species.

Why is that so hard for some to fathom/accept?

The mad cow problem stemmed from cows being fed animal products from animals killed at animal shelters.

Well, no. Had nothing to do with animals killed at animal shelters. Had to do with sheep, originally, I believe, who don't generally end up in animal shelters in the numbers necessary to provide bone meal for cattle feed.

By the way, some time back, I decided to research the actual risk of mad cow caused by eating contaminated meat (actually brain or spinal chord tissue, I believe). I wanted to find out how many people died annually from this. Extensive research into unbiased sources (as unbiased as possible, anyway) turned up the startling information that approximately 150-200 (I forget the exact number, but it was in there) people had died from "mad cow" contracted in this fashion. Ever. That's right, not annually, but ever, since it was discovered. Go to the CDC and check on causes of death and see how many deaths annually from a particular cause it takes to get on their list of top 20.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:07 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by groove1 View Post
Actually, yes you can. The mad cow problem stemmed from cows being fed animal products from animals killed at animal shelters. You can beperfectly healthy not eating any meat, and likely have a lot less health problems. I think millions of vegeterians and the 7th Day Adventists have proved this.
The Inuit showed the exact opposite is also true, that one can be perfectly healthy and eat mostly meat. Generalizing that either sort of diet is the answer is too broad a generalization, some do best on high meat diets, some on highly vegetarian diets, others a mix of the two.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
The Inuit showed the exact opposite is also true, that one can be perfectly healthy and eat mostly meat. Generalizing that either sort of diet is the answer is too broad a generalization, some do best on high meat diets, some on highly vegetarian diets, others a mix of the two.
Where did you get the info on Inuit? from Westlanmd Halmark meat company?

Innuits have the LOWEST life expectancy in North America, plus a high rate of cancer. The cancer is under-reported because they do not have access to most hospitals.

Disease Proof: Are the Inuit Healthy?

The life expectancy of the Inuit is about 64-67.

Inuit lifespan stagnates while Canada's rises | Science | Reuters

"Inuit have the lowest life expectancy among Canada's three aboriginal groups, which also include Indians and Metis. Together, the groups number 1.2 million, or about 3.8 percent of Canada's total population of around 32 million."

AFP: Inuits die 15 years earlier than other Canadians: study

By contrast:

"Lifestyle habits practiced by many Seventh-day Adventists contribute to a longer-than-average life expectancy, according to results released last week from a 12-year study of 34,000 Adventists in California. This group of Adventists appears to be the longest-lived population that has ever been studied and described in a formal way, says Dr. Gary E. Fraser, the study's principal researcher, and director of the Loma Linda University Center for Health Research. "

Study Links Adventist Lifestyle With Longevity

Also, diabetes and cholesorol-related problems such as heart disease, stroke, gallstones, high blood pressure, etc are virtually non-existent in Seventh Day Adventists.

Eating many fruits and vegetables decreases your risks of numerous health problems and disease. eating too much meat has been shown to cause colon cancer. Cholesterol is only found in animal products, so eating too much meat (even fish and chicken) can significantly raise your bad cholestorol and lower the good. My soon to be father in law eats meat ALL the time. He is overweight, had type 2 diabetes, has had one minor heart attack and he is only 48. My soon to be mother in law eats very little meat and is normal weight and perfectly healthy. She hasn't had a major health problem in her life and definitely not one related to diet.

Last edited by groove1; 04-28-2008 at 01:44 PM..

Old 04-28-2008, 01:42 PM

3,695 posts, read 11,370,975 times
Groove1, correlation and causation are not the same thing. There's nothing in those links that says that the shorter lifespans are dietary in cause.

Old 04-28-2008, 01:46 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.

How humans are not physically created to eat meat

Early 1980's documentary on vegetarianism hosted by William Shatner (http://www.animalpeopleonline.org/veggieworld.htm - broken link)

Old 04-28-2008, 01:49 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Sorry, that's not the most reliable site on the internet and clearly has a built-in bias.

Don't know about you, but I have sharp front teeth (canines), and my teeth DEFINITELY do not resemble my horses' or cows' teeth. (Except, of course, for the wolf teeth that horses have - sharp front teeth much like a wolf's that sometimes have to be pulled because they are so sharp they cause problems.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living