Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2021, 02:50 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times

Advertisements

You don't recycle cardboard because your apartment building doesn't provide a recycling dumpster?
How about saving it up and taking it to the recycle center? That's what we did when we lived outside of service areas.

UPS sent me a link to track the delivery truck on a map. Looked like it went to half the houses in the area, and took two hours to cover everybody in a half mile square area.
That might be more fuel (and time) efficient than each of us driving to the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2021, 04:55 PM

10,659 posts, read 10,724,472 times
[quote=JohnPBailey;61831904]1. crappy products that don't last long and end up as waste
2. making computer hardware obsolete at fast pace on purpose generating e-waste
3. the lack of convenient recycling facilities and means in my area: if my apartment manager would supply tenants a special Recycling dumpster, I would gladly use it for clean cardboard and whatnot
4. online shopping: shipping creates more material waste for packing than if things were bought otherwise at a local brick-n-mortar store, then there is all that fuel UPS/FedEx trucks use to deliver amazon/eBay orders to your door
5. overpopulation of humans: the biggest ecological culprit of them all: more people = more waste, more litter and more pollution[/QUOTE]

you could leave ... THE PLANET! Just check your self out help decrease the surplus population

Old 09-05-2021, 06:58 AM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
1. crappy products that don't last long and end up as waste
3. the lack of convenient recycling facilities and means in my area: if my apartment manager would supply tenants a special Recycling dumpster, I would gladly use it for clean cardboard and whatnot
4. online shopping: shipping creates more material waste for packing than if things were bought otherwise at a local brick-n-mortar store, then there is all that fuel UPS/FedEx trucks use to deliver amazon/eBay orders to your door
5. overpopulation of humans: the biggest ecological culprit of them all: more people = more waste, more litter and more pollution
OP, feel free to reduce the population by 1. Be the leader you always wanted to be. Or are you arguing that other people should be removed from the population?

You area may not have convenient recycling, but mine does. Every other Thursday, the big green bin gets picked up and dumped into the recycling truck. You can advocate to have your local government require landlords of multi-family housing provide recycling bins.

I keep computers for years. If I quit using one, it gets disassembled and recycled properly. Smartphones usually just get thrown in a drawer when I get a new one every 5 or 6 years.

Old 09-05-2021, 08:14 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
1. crappy products that don't last long and end up as waste
5. overpopulation of humans: the biggest ecological culprit of them all: more people = more waste, more litter and more pollution
All five of your points are based on false premises....As we switch to more plastics in our goods, keep in mind that plastics are made from petroleum distillation waste products themselves. That goes well with the Re-use Re-Cycle Re-Purpose mantra of the environmentalists....Waste products that wind up in the dump fill in space that will eventually be returned to useful purposes as recreational/natural areas. No net loss (probably a net gain) for the environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip T View Post
Ted Z said it best . . .

================================================== =====
The Industrial Revolution and its consequences have been a disaster for the human race.
================================================== =====

https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Theodore_Kaczynski
The success of a species is usually measured by its ability to increase its population. Please review the following population graph and then get back to us on this one. Very high correlation between rapid population growth and application of fossil fuels in our history....and it was fossil fuels that saved the forests of the world.

https://komalapes.weebly.com/uploads...49695_orig.png

As far as over-population goes-- another myth. 50 % of all people live within 50 miles of an ocean-- a heckuvalot of empty space for the rest of us. We're currently at 7.5 B, but the agronomists tell us we can easily produce enough food for 20B...

We no longer need to rely on hunting skills to feed ourselves. Now the rate limiting factor in determining the carrying capacity is economic in nature. You need a job (or a Nannycrat State) to provide for your family, not a sharp spear and skill at stalking prey.

The Natural World is in fact in danger due to human encroachment on natural habitat. We need to avoid wasting time arguing these false narratives. Very hip. Very Woke, but way off base and calculated to advance political agenda, not ecological causes.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:49 AM

388 posts, read 327,172 times
[quote=Thoreau424;61839698]And yet, all of those matters are by personal choice and preference.

I'm not saying I agree with them, or that these matters are not hazardous, but we can't regulate the desires and wishes of millions of persons.

A person can bang his/her head against the wall for all the problems we can't control, or shift to the other side and positively / optimistically focus on matters that can be improved upon.

We continue to become over time more and more of a nation of winers and complainers. That's not how we originally became a large and strong country. No problem will be solved by armchair bellyachers.[/QUOTE

America was much cleaner and greener when Native Americans ruled the land here. A strong and large nation should not be one of filthy slobs.

Old 09-05-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steiconi View Post
You don't recycle cardboard because your apartment building doesn't provide a recycling dumpster?
How about saving it up and taking it to the recycle center? That's what we did when we lived outside of service areas.

UPS sent me a link to track the delivery truck on a map. Looked like it went to half the houses in the area, and took two hours to cover everybody in a half mile square area.
That might be more fuel (and time) efficient than each of us driving to the store.
Stuff shipped from amazon.com is in extra packaging materials that wouldn't be there if bought directly from a local store. I have a little efficient 1995 Toyota Corolla sedan to go to the store and pick most stuff up except large appliances and furniture. I don't have the space in my apartment to save cardboard. I'm not going to spend my gas money, poke holes in my car interior and spend my time to take boxes to a recycling center. There is also a lot of plastic and Styrofoam in packing materials. What about tin cans, aluminum cans, plastic bottles and glass jars?

Old 09-05-2021, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
All five of your points are based on false premises....As we switch to more plastics in our goods, keep in mind that plastics are made from petroleum distillation waste products themselves. That goes well with the Re-use Re-Cycle Re-Purpose mantra of the environmentalists....Waste products that wind up in the dump fill in space that will eventually be returned to useful purposes as recreational/natural areas. No net loss (probably a net gain) for the environment.

The success of a species is usually measured by its ability to increase its population. Please review the following population graph and then get back to us on this one. Very high correlation between rapid population growth and application of fossil fuels in our history....and it was fossil fuels that saved the forests of the world.

https://komalapes.weebly.com/uploads...49695_orig.png

As far as over-population goes-- another myth. 50 % of all people live within 50 miles of an ocean-- a heckuvalot of empty space for the rest of us. We're currently at 7.5 B, but the agronomists tell us we can easily produce enough food for 20B...

We no longer need to rely on hunting skills to feed ourselves. Now the rate limiting factor in determining the carrying capacity is economic in nature. You need a job (or a Nannycrat State) to provide for your family, not a sharp spear and skill at stalking prey.

The Natural World is in fact in danger due to human encroachment on natural habitat. We need to avoid wasting time arguing these false narratives. Very hip. Very Woke, but way off base and calculated to advance political agenda, not ecological causes.

False premises? Every idiot knows that China-made appliances bought at Walmart nowadays don't even last half as long as American-made appliances did 40-75 years ago. How often are you replacing your refrigerator, electric can opener, lawn mower, air conditioner, vacuum cleaner, washing machine and computer? My grandmother's Frigidaire washing machine and refrigerator made in the early 1960's lasted 20+ years.

Any idiot under Mothers Nature's golden sun also knows the more people you have on this planet the more resources will be consumed. More people means more pollution, more waste, more crime and more congestion. I'm not going to kill myself to reduce the population. Penises need to be kept in pants longer to curb the rate of baby-making. People need to adopt children in need of homes. The root of the planet's ruin is human arrogance, greed and selfishness. Eventually, Mother Nature will sort this whole mess out and it will be a rude surprise to man. There must be a bigger life form somewhere in this universe that will come to earth and start eating people like owls eat mice as checks and balances measures.

Old 09-05-2021, 01:24 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
False premises? Every idiot knows that China-made appliances bought at Walmart nowadays don't even last half as long as American-made appliances did 40-75 years ago. How often are you replacing your refrigerator, electric can opener, lawn mower, air conditioner, vacuum cleaner, washing machine and computer? My grandmother's Frigidaire washing machine and refrigerator made in the early 1960's lasted 20+ years.

Any idiot under Mothers Nature's golden sun also knows the more people you have on this planet the more resources will be consumed. More people means more pollution, more waste, more crime and more congestion. I'm not going to kill myself to reduce the population. Penises need to be kept in pants longer to curb the rate of baby-making. People need to adopt children in need of homes. The root of the planet's ruin is human arrogance, greed and selfishness. Eventually, Mother Nature will sort this whole mess out and it will be a rude surprise to man. There must be a bigger life form somewhere in this universe that will come to earth and start eating people like owls eat mice as checks and balances measures.
Yep. Continued population increase means more environmental damage and less quality of life for everyone who is already here.

Old 09-05-2021, 03:12 PM

9,085 posts, read 6,311,647 times
Quote:
Modern appliances wear out faster because their operation is dependent on electronics now. Mechanical devices and electro-mechanical devices last a long time, that is why appliances from the 1960's through the 1980's could last through 20+ years of normal or heavy use. Semiconductors are garbage in comparison and usually it is an electronic component that causes modern appliances to fail. If we go back to a world without semiconductors we would see a lot less waste.

Quote:
^^^No arguments here.

Old 09-05-2021, 06:14 PM

15,424 posts, read 7,482,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtkinsonDan View Post
Modern appliances wear out faster because their operation is dependent on electronics now. Mechanical devices and electro-mechanical devices last a long time, that is why appliances from the 1960's through the 1980's could last through 20+ years of normal or heavy use. Semiconductors are garbage in comparison and usually it is an electronic component that causes modern appliances to fail. If we go back to a world without semiconductors we would see a lot less waste.
Um, no. The electronics are more reliable than the old electromechanical timers and switches. The issue now is that the mechanical parts, drums, compressors, etc, that die early because they are cheaply made. Some of that is government regulation - Speed Queen had to change their washing machine drive to something less reliable because the old version didn't meet power consumption requirements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living