Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2021, 01:02 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,642,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
I know you already know this, but the Chinese throttled back once with a 1 child policy. They thought they could just allow people to have more babies and people would respond. But they were wrong. It was a one-way door. Chinese women saw how much better their lives were with one child or no children and they are not going back to the old days.

Now they are facing a labor shortage and an economic calamity when their population plunges.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other...mb/ar-BB1e3N0h

I am not saying you are wrong (you're not!). I am saying there is no need to worry about birth rates. They are falling world wide without our help.
The human race may become extinct the same way that John B Calhoun's mice did. In that experiment, Calhoun provided everything a mouse could possibly want in life and at first they thrived. Then, before they filled their enclosure, they stopped breeding and died to the last mouse. The easy-living mice had lost the skills needed to exist as a free mouse.
Chilling, yes?
No, encouraging!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2021, 01:47 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnPBailey View Post
Waste/pollution/noise pollution/dirtiness/congestion/crime is unattractive to my eyes, ears, tongue and nose. Air pollution puts me at risk of dying of cancer. Litter injures animals and people both. I don't fear waste so much as I can't stand it within the realm of my own physical senses.
Not a problem. There are vast nearly uninhabited regions of the country where we can store waste. We just have to being so stupid about it.

Old 09-06-2021, 02:49 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatTX View Post
No, encouraging!
If you think the journey to extinction or near extinction for humans will be an easy one, you have just not thought about it very much.

Old 09-06-2021, 03:30 PM

Quote:
If you think the journey to extinction or near extinction for humans will be an easy one, you have just not thought about it very much.
Why do you conclude I think it will be easy? However hard it will be, we have brought it on ourselves. Unlike all the other species who are gone - or close to extinction - because of our massive, careless, willful exploitation/abuse of resources.

Old 09-06-2021, 05:44 PM

11,337 posts, read 11,037,875 times
Quote:
Why do you conclude I think it will be easy? However hard it will be, we have brought it on ourselves. Unlike all the other species who are gone - or close to extinction - because of our massive, careless, willful exploitation/abuse of resources.
I am not interested in curtailing our lifestyle. If we can’t live a modern resource rich lifestyle with freedom, individual rights, private property rights, and capitalism, then extinction is fine. It was always going to happen anyway. We’re a misplaced asteroid away.

Old 09-06-2021, 07:39 PM

7,125 posts, read 12,661,810 times
"Humans are the only species that were they to vanish from the face of the Earth, all other species would rejoice." That sums it up pretty much...

We're fouling our nest....we fail to see that we're all connected. As species go extinct, can we not see the hand-writing on the wall?

Beam me up, Scotty.

Old 09-06-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Paolella View Post
I am not interested in curtailing our lifestyle. If we can’t live a modern resource rich lifestyle with freedom, individual rights, private property rights, and capitalism, then extinction is fine. It was always going to happen anyway. We’re a misplaced asteroid away.
And that's what it boils down to. We, as a species, are too selfish to accept our place in nature and stop exploiting. We are animals which have basically eliminated everything that would result in meaningful population control for ourselves. And many of us even refuse to acknowledge that our huge numbers and voracious behavior cause major problems for the entire planet, or don't care one bit.

Old 09-06-2021, 09:57 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
....... because of our massive, careless, willful exploitation/abuse of resources..........
We, as a species, are too selfish to accept our place in nature............
However hard it will be, we have brought it on ourselves....
Self flagellation is merely an attempt by the flagellant to demonstrate superiority.
And just how have the children yet to be born "brought it on themselves?"......... Never mind. Your statement cannot be explained intelligently.

Old 09-06-2021, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Self flagellation is merely an attempt by the flagellant to demonstrate superiority.
And just how have the children yet to be born "brought it on themselves?"......... Never mind. Your statement cannot be explained intelligently.
First off, facts are not self-flagellation. Second, when humanity engages in destructive behavior which eventually negatively affects those yet to be born, humanity obviously brought it on itself. Third, nice try with “ Never mind. Your statement cannot be explained intelligently.”. Unfortunately for you, before you can insult me I'd have to value your opinion.

Old 09-07-2021, 03:05 AM

7,253 posts, read 5,126,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
"Humans are the only species that were they to vanish from the face of the Earth, all other species would rejoice." That sums it up pretty much...

We're fouling our nest....we fail to see that we're all connected. As species go extinct, can we not see the hand-writing on the wall?

Beam me up, Scotty.
Quote:
Other than petroleum, please document a natural resource that will become depleted in the next, say, 200 yrs.

Extinctions?.. The "life expectancy" of a species is on the order of 1,000,000 yrs, and the number of living species is on the order of 1,000,000, so, we 'd expect one species to go extinct "naturally" every year. Only about 300 species have been documented to have gone extinct in the last 500 yrs. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...mals_of_Europe

Compare that to The Permian Extinction when 90% of all GENERA and a couple whole PHYLLA went extinct.

The NYT and Cosmopolitan should not be your source of science information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living