Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2008, 03:20 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,520,316 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
What happened to the fuel efficient cars of the 70's?
Did people really believe the problems arising from being oil dependent disappeared? Why did they not want less pollution and more modern, efficient and smart energy alternatives? Kerosene went the way of the dinosaurs, why didn't fossil fuels, that is where it belongs anyway!

Average size cars were not good enough for really stupid people, they had to have Hummers and SUV's to make up for what they lacked mentally and physically. I guess it is true about cars being "extensions" of body parts. Brains got smaller and vehicles got bigger too.

Duh America! Now you are all scrambling around to alleviate the burden of rising fuel costs. This is what it has taken...your wallet. Didn't clean air and water matter at all to you? Where was your ecological concern and sense of responsibility? Where was your patriotism? Where was your integrity and self respect?

You have made billionaires out of individuals that do not give a crap about you and yours. Yep, you have gotten what you deserve. Just sad that the people that were into "Green" before it became in vogue have to pay the price for the other morons.
The actions of some of American's do not justify your blanket statements. As I have seen several others request, I would like to hear your suggestions on the matter. It is so easy for people to run their mouths about what is wrong without bringing any ideas or creativity to the table.

I personally have never driven a big truck or SUV, I am a compact vehicle person! I like my small cars! My vehicle gets over 30 MPG and I am not dying when I fill my car. (Granted, I'm not happy when I fill my car, but I can still afford it).

I would like for one of the loud mouthed whiners to actually bring something to the table besides their whining. My 21 month old son whines less than these "America Got what She deserved".

There are quite a few places that use wind, solar and water based energies. Unfortunately not everyone has moved to those methods yet. It is only a matter of time and spreading hate is no way to get things done!

So please tell me, what exactly is it that we "deserved".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2008, 03:36 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
OK I think we all agree this original poster is clueless...oh I'm not allowed to say that am I?

Hey I got what I deserved after a few decades of hard work in the workforce -

A muscle car! 400HP of gas eating exhaust spewing loud and obnoxious and totally wasteful power!!!!

I love it, gets about 9 miles per gallon on a good day, I drive it every chance I get including to the dragstrip. Gas costs me about .00125% of my yearly income for this car.

Yup, got what I deserved and I enjoy the hell out of it. You probably helped me get it in some way by being a customer to my company. Thank you, thank you very much!!!

and as an afterthought - this car was made in the 70's.

Old 06-10-2008, 03:40 PM

7,841 posts, read 18,995,793 times
Remember this 70s car?

It was said to be a cross between the Valiant and the Comet called the Vomit. It had bucket seats, a throw up top, and a horn that went blu-ah.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:36 PM

719 posts, read 2,617,851 times
I sure miss my '69 Buick GS 400 I had in high school. Won many a race out on County Line Rd.
I had a bud with a Vomit Comet. A bit odd and quircky, but fairly fast.

Old 06-10-2008, 11:17 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,659,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sockeye View Post
I sure miss my '69 Buick GS 400 I had in high school. Won many a race out on County Line Rd.
I had a bud with a Vomit Comet. A bit odd and quirky, but fairly fast.
Comet and Falcon shared drive train components with Mustang and Cougar... lot of performance parts available for the V8

Old 06-11-2008, 05:45 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,771,962 times
I had a '72 Buick le Sabre. It was a wonderful long distance road car that got acceptable milege on the expressways. It was also a very handsome car. Too bad the rust demons finally got it.

Old 06-12-2008, 01:42 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I loved my 1973 Corolla that I bought new. It got great mileage and was all that I, as a single person, needed. The American cars weren't any good in those days, you are right about that -- that's why so many people bought foreign cars. Detroit didn't listen.

I go along with a lot of what the OP said -- whatever happened to solar and all the other new technologies that were all the rage in the '70s? Seriously.

and why the return to huge gas guzzling cars? We seemed to be on the right track in the '70s but what happened?
Yes, that was the point and I did clarify that a few post back. You seem to be amongst the few that have gotten it. Most of these post are defensive or turned this into a "car talk radio show". Someone here posted that I should come up with solutions or not whine about it. I was not whining, I was ranting. For years I have been reading about other countries that are light years ahead of us in converting to alternate energy sources and it is infuriating. Oil has enriched so many evil people. Oil has screwed up the environment. There are even people posting here that are pissed at environmentalists and blaming them for rising energy prices. Do these people understand that without a healthy environment in balance, we are all screwed.

I am not a scientists, but there is all the technology we need out there now or being developed. I've done my part way before it was in fashion just out of common sense.

If my generalizing that stating that American's got what they deserve was a bit harsh...tough. Wouldn't common sense dictate that the people that are buying into the "big everything" mode are the culprits that I am addressing?

This nation is notorious for it's over consumption, waste and the hell with the rest of the planet attitude. Like it or not, that is the way it is. It is unfortunate that the truly "green minded" people have to suffer for the rest.

If the shoe fits...wear it!

Old 06-12-2008, 02:08 PM

512 posts, read 1,564,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
i read your profile, its blank if you could just give me a lil hint of where you are coming from perhaps i can avoid being defensive? thanks.
I read some of his other posts, don't even bother to dignify the obvious attempt at drive-by trolling.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,120,803 times
Because someone posts something that you disagree with you assume that they are trolling?

As for my profile, I'm a bit to intelligent and eclectic to be profiled. If you must know I'm a 40 something female with a college degree in art and have been teaching 5th grade for the past 10 years. I have always advocated for "greener" living and only purchase products that are organically grown or produced with eco-friendly practices. I am smart enough to relaize that the FDA, pharmeceutical companies, big oil, the media and our current administration are corrupt beyond anyone's imagination.

As for this oil crunch...it is Enron all over again. It is being manipulated and the departments that should be regulating this are all Bush & Company appointees. The oil companies are sitting on many, many unused permits to drill more and refine more but they like things just as they are. Do you understand that all of the oversight has been de-regulated?

I repeat...Americans should have seen this coming and demanded more many moons ago instead of buying bulldozers to go grocery shopping.

You eco-concious people know who you are so why should you take offense?

And those of you that buy into everything and damn everything else people know who you are too!

Last edited by sickofnyc; 06-12-2008 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: grammar

Old 06-12-2008, 03:43 PM

314 posts, read 930,666 times
lets remeber too some of these other countries you refer to are the size of new jersey probably.

I dont disagree with everything you say but dont totally agree either. The evil people with the oil will get a rude awaking one day just probably wont be in our lifetimes...then they will only have rock and sand to export.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living