Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2023, 06:43 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyLark2019 View Post
I mentioned all that since I lived in a walk-up apartment- it's easier to pack/load your items in a way to facilitate getting them up and down stairs. Some people take joy in organizing their items- it's the same concept as enjoying the video game Tetris.
But all don't, they are forced into it. Hence the hullaboo you hope will end.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2023, 07:41 AM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Only after a generation that was forced by political pressure by the majority to bring their own bags with stores forbidden to offer the perk of bags has come around. Assuming there is not a reemergence of libertarian spirit.
Thank you.

There was no need for Draconian govt programs & incentives to get people to switch from whale oil lamps to gas lighting when Town Gas became available...Good ideas need no outside encouragement. They succede on their own because they are good ideas...If new ideas don't succede, maybe it's a bad idea? Verbum sapienti...

Old 05-09-2023, 12:17 PM

55 posts, read 30,591 times
The few plastic grocery bags we get, usually because we walk into the grocery store, go "aw s*, forgot the boxes!" are used for scooping cat litter. Also for the bathroom can and in the car.

Back when I volunteered at a shelter, people were asked to bring in their plastic grocery bags so the shelter wouldn't have to buy poop bags. I folded mine and put them in a box under a couple bricks so they'd be squashed flat. It was comical to see my compact stack of a couple hundred bags (before we started using the purchased grocery boxes) measuring a few inches high versus the ballooning garbage bags people brought in

Trash can liners? Yes, we use those because, as a retired couple, we put out maybe one or two 13 gallon bags per week. There is an older lady down the road who uses grocery bags for trash. Every week, she has a neat pile of them. I'd like to see her get a small trash can, they are always being torn into by squirrels.

This a rather futile article

Last edited by Only2Chins; 05-09-2023 at 12:29 PM..

Old 05-09-2023, 02:35 PM

23,265 posts, read 18,777,131 times
I bought a set of unbleached canvas shopping bags at a Safeway nearly 30 years ago and have used them at least once a week ever since. They either live in the car or on a hook on the path to the garage. Because of the fabric I seldom if ever wash them...they shrink. Yes, they're a bit battered, stained, and showing their age but when I consider how many hundreds of plastic grocery bags haven't left the store because of them that acquired "patina" seems trivial.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:19 PM

7,004 posts, read 4,811,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This right here. I don't have liners in my bathroom cans. What are you people throwing away that requires liners? Maybe I don't want to know?
I don’t throw wet stuff in the small bins either. The plastic grocery bags just make them more convenient to enpty. Easier to carry a tied small bag than the entire can, then have to bring it back and re-line it. I keep 2 or three under the current one for quicker re-line.

Old 05-09-2023, 03:51 PM

7,246 posts, read 5,117,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I bought a set of unbleached canvas shopping bags at a Safeway nearly 30 years ago and have used them at least once a week ever since. They either live in the car or on a hook on the path to the garage. Because of the fabric I seldom if ever wash them...they shrink. Yes, they're a bit battered, stained, and showing their age but when I consider how many hundreds of plastic grocery bags haven't left the store because of them that acquired "patina" seems trivial.
The bride used to make really, strong, convenient sized shopping bags out of spent cat/dog food bags/feed bags...Trim the top, fold and sew a hem. Fold and cut the trimmed pieces to size as handles sewn into place.

Since the changes induced by The Pandemic, we've been ordering on-line from Walmart and just pick it up..AARRRGHH!!...They rarely pack more than 2 or three items in each plastic bag. We order 20 items and they pack it in 15 shopping bags.....You know I don't think plastic is a villian, but wasteful is wasteful.

Old 05-10-2023, 09:43 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,245,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
The bride used to make really, strong, convenient sized shopping bags out of spent cat/dog food bags/feed bags...Trim the top, fold and sew a hem. Fold and cut the trimmed pieces to size as handles sewn into place.

Since the changes induced by The Pandemic, we've been ordering on-line from Walmart and just pick it up..AARRRGHH!!...They rarely pack more than 2 or three items in each plastic bag. We order 20 items and they pack it in 15 shopping bags.....You know I don't think plastic is a villian, but wasteful is wasteful.
That was the straw that broke the camels back for me. I went shopping at Safeway, for a couple of items that I was out of. A store that’s literally on the way home. The idiotic cashier actually took two light items and put them in no less than seven bags — he only stopped bagging when I told him to stop it. And he thought it was funny. One of the other clerks thought it was funny too, he was the one that distracted me so the other guy could do it. It was also the last time I shopped at that Safeway.

Old 05-10-2023, 01:55 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Default Your Reusable Shopping Bags Are Actually Really, Really Dirty

I hope all of you using your reusable cloth grocery bags are washing them. And washing them often.

"Your Reusable Shopping Bags Are Dirty

And we mean really dirty. In a study conducted by researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University, almost all the reusable shopping bags tested were jam-packed with bacteria. Half the bags had traces of coliform bacteria, while 12 percent tested positive for E. coli. To make matters worse, a recent study by the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency reported that totes used to carry raw meat or fish can spread bacteria that can lead to fatal food poisoning.

Since the deadliest bacteria come from raw food, we suggest packing foods like burger patties, salmon fillets and, yes, even egg cartons separately. If you want to err on the side of caution, place them in a disposable paper or plastic shopping bag. It’s not the most environmentally or economically sound option, but avoiding cross-contaminated food could be a matter of life or death. So we think both Mother Nature and your wallet will forgive you."

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...ill-shock-you/

So many charities are sending out these reusable grocery bags. Too bad they don't come with a big sign that says: WASH ME. DO NOT USE FOR RAW FOODS

I throw them in the trash as soon as they are received. I have no use for them.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:50 AM

35,016 posts, read 16,972,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
We hoard our plastic grocery bags for re-use for everything, but mostly trash can liners. If you are buying trash can liners, doesn't that sort of negate you not getting the plastic grocery bags? We also use the bags for all sorts of other stuff.
At least you get the point. Most of these regulations are symbolic at best, but make most people's lives harder and more expensive for little purpose or gain.

Old 06-18-2023, 12:48 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
They just need to be made of recyclable and biodegradable materials that don't need thousand years to decompose. It's made so in other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living