Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2023, 12:52 PM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
They just need to be made of recyclable and biodegradable materials that don't need thousand years to decompose. It's made so in other countries.
Not with the state imposed demand that they must be paid for and not given as customer service. Because they must be bought the customer will complain, that's why they got thicker in the first place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2023, 12:52 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post

So many charities are sending out these reusable grocery bags. Too bad they don't come with a big sign that says: WASH ME. DO NOT USE FOR RAW FOODS

I throw them in the trash as soon as they are received. I have no use for them.
People actually still need to be told to wash their stuff???

Old 06-18-2023, 01:04 PM

Quote:
People actually still need to be told to wash their stuff???
A bag, or backpack that doubles as a food carrier, yes

Old 06-18-2023, 06:26 PM

61,658 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
A bag, or backpack that doubles as a food carrier, yes
That's pretty sad that this isn't a common sense and people need to be told what they need to do.

Old 06-18-2023, 06:43 PM

Quote:
That's pretty sad that this isn't a common sense and people need to be told what they need to do.

People lived for millennia without the means to wash or the resources to replace carrying tools

Old 06-21-2023, 01:31 AM

2,295 posts, read 1,513,381 times
I remember how my parents would line the bins with newspaper. Trouble is, not much newspaper around any more.
We have to buy liners for smaller bins and then the bigger one, collected weekly, does not need lining.

Old 06-21-2023, 06:06 AM

4,834 posts, read 3,262,003 times
Quote:
They just need to be made of recyclable and biodegradable materials that don't need thousand years to decompose. It's made so in other countries.

Not necessarily to be argumentative, but for the sake of conversation do we really know they take thousands of years to decompose? Didn't they just start paying attention to that in our lifetime?

Old 06-21-2023, 07:41 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,036,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
I hope all of you using your reusable cloth grocery bags are washing them. And washing them often.

"Your Reusable Shopping Bags Are Dirty

And we mean really dirty. In a study conducted by researchers at the University of Arizona and Loma Linda University, almost all the reusable shopping bags tested were jam-packed with bacteria. Half the bags had traces of coliform bacteria, while 12 percent tested positive for E. coli. To make matters worse, a recent study by the United Kingdom’s Food Standards Agency reported that totes used to carry raw meat or fish can spread bacteria that can lead to fatal food poisoning.

Since the deadliest bacteria come from raw food, we suggest packing foods like burger patties, salmon fillets and, yes, even egg cartons separately. If you want to err on the side of caution, place them in a disposable paper or plastic shopping bag. It’s not the most environmentally or economically sound option, but avoiding cross-contaminated food could be a matter of life or death. So we think both Mother Nature and your wallet will forgive you."

https://www.tasteofhome.com/article/...ill-shock-you/

So many charities are sending out these reusable grocery bags. Too bad they don't come with a big sign that says: WASH ME. DO NOT USE FOR RAW FOODS

I throw them in the trash as soon as they are received. I have no use for them.
This was known before my state even enacted the ban on plastic and paper bags. I guess the mindset was so what.

I try to put meat in a washable bag. Same with milk. I didn't realized egg cartons were suspect, so I'll put those in a washable bag as well going forward. I clean the non washable bags with a disinfecting wipe but to be honest, it doesn't get done every time nor do I think it's a foolproof method for killing all bacteria.

Old 06-21-2023, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebbe View Post
This was known before my state even enacted the ban on plastic and paper bags. I guess the mindset was so what.

I try to put meat in a washable bag. Same with milk. I didn't realized egg cartons were suspect, so I'll put those in a washable bag as well going forward. I clean the non washable bags with a disinfecting wipe but to be honest, it doesn't get done every time nor do I think it's a foolproof method for killing all bacteria.

And thus Mother Nature's unending struggle. We kill off the weaker bacteria and the stronger ones survive and reproduce so we need increasingly lethal cleaning agents to get to them.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:13 PM

1,940 posts, read 1,027,525 times
Look at all the plastic packaging you put in your reusable bag. Why don't they make consumer plastic that degrades over time, we survived without it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living