Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 02:29 PM

15,440 posts, read 7,502,350 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
Being a garbage man is a great job-- $25/hr...and all you can eat!

Even if you ask for paper bags at the PigglyWiggly for groceries, Walmart etc etc don't have them, so you wind up buried in plastic bags anyways..and as I've pointed out here so many times- plastic is made from a petroleum waste product, so no real loss, and actually some benefit in the Re-use Re-purpose Re-cycle sense to using plastic bags.

Many re- use, re-purpose jobs for plastic bags from garbage liners to organizers in shop, garage, laundry room, etc....

We have a non-chain, local grocery store here that accepts plastic shopping bags for recycling, but I'm not sure they actually do recycle them. Does anybody here know?
Plastic in the US is not made from a waste product. You've been told that many times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2023, 12:35 AM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Yeah. It could me made from a waste product, it could be made biodegradable, but in most cases is not. And it won't until it's a law. Everything has to be made law first, because common sense isn't enough.

Old 09-20-2023, 02:37 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,003,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
For those of you that don't use plastic grocery bags, do you then purchase trash can liner bags? For your smaller trash cans, I mean.

We hoard our plastic grocery bags for re-use for everything, but mostly trash can liners. If you are buying trash can liners, doesn't that sort of negate you not getting the plastic grocery bags? We also use the bags for all sorts of other stuff.

Growing up, my mom used paper grocery bags for trash can liners. But those have their own problems, obviously. I think way back in the metal garbage can times, no one used plastic liners but just put the garbage directly in the can. That was yucky. Not nice for the poor garbage-men either.

What do you think?
Yes......but not for the reasons you might think.

Keep them around if and when the water is out for pooping in the bucket.

As for what I use in the kitchen trash can? Empty litter and feed bags.

Old 09-20-2023, 05:10 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times
Good luck! Most plastic shopping bags are not leak proof. At least not those around here, in Texas.

Old 09-21-2023, 10:40 AM

2,453 posts, read 1,686,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Good luck! Most plastic shopping bags are not leak proof. At least not those around here, in Texas.
Most shopping bags are horrible around here in rural South Dakota too. Walmart used to have nice bags but now are by far the thinnest around. We still get free plastic grocery bags everyplace here. I can't remember ever buying trash can liners. Have always used grocery bags.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,680,999 times
This is exactly why the move to ban plastic shopping bags is so wrong.

The result is that the stores save money, and the burden is thrown bag on consumers who will then have to buy trash bags.

Old 09-21-2023, 08:09 PM

21,884 posts, read 12,981,936 times
I mean, you have to wave them in the air so they billow out and then look into them. If you see dots of light, they have tiny holes and aren't waterproof... If they don't, then they are...

I always find plenty that are fine. The others are good for other uses (paper/tissue disposal, etc.).

Old 12-10-2023, 12:14 PM

6,035 posts, read 2,852,224 times
I've been on a quest to eliminate plastic when possible (which is not easy), as I don't believe the chemicals it's comprised of to be healthy for living beings and I don't believe the microplastics they generate to be healthy for living beings and the environment in which we live.

As it relates to this topic, I've replaced my actual trash can, inside the house, with the paper bags I get from our local store. I'm considering purchasing paper tape to seal the bag, rather than putting the paper "can" into a plastic garbage bag to put into the big can at the curb to eliminate the need for any plastic garbage bags. I haven't worked it out to see if it's cost effective, though.

For what it's worth, I can fit as much groceries into one paper bag as I used to in five plastic bags. I'm not nearly as concerned with the emissions, as one poster pointed out, as I am the physical effects of plastic on us and the environment.

Old 12-10-2023, 08:09 PM

8,869 posts, read 6,878,641 times
I mostly reuse shopping bags, but getting a new one every five trips or so seems to be plenty to handle garbage. It seems like I'd have to buy a lot of crap to need more bags.

Old 12-16-2023, 11:56 PM

2,302 posts, read 1,524,778 times
Light plastic bags have been banned here for years, my state was the last to do so in 2022. Most of us have got used to bringing our own reusable bags to the supermarket but I certainly do find myself having to buy plastic bags for the small bins. We can buy paper bags at the supermarket and some stores give them out. But often I will buy an item of clothing or whatever and put it into a reusable bag I bring with me.

It can be a real pain but we are definitely using a lot less plastic overall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living