Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2023, 09:05 AM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times

Advertisements

We have been using LL Bean canvas bags with long handles forever. The medium size is the equivalent to a brown paper grocery bag, the long handle slides over a shoulder when pushing the bag off the tailgate. Instructions say do not machine wash but they do just fine:>)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2023, 09:39 AM

21,889 posts, read 12,991,949 times
I think it's funny we're talking about plastic bags. Plastic water bottles anyone? Yet no one seems to complain about these.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:00 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,180,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
For those of you that don't use plastic grocery bags, do you then purchase trash can liner bags? For your smaller trash cans, I mean.
I do now.

I had problem with Walmart bags leaking and I checked the other bags and they all had holes in the bottom of them.

At first I thought it was a bad production run but then I notice they all have holes in them.

I just figured it was a conspiracy between Walmart, Kroger's et al and Glad® to force people to buy real trash bags.

Meijer's and Beuhler's still make decent bags. Beuhler's are like the original plastic bags and Meijer's almost twice as thick as those.

Old 12-17-2023, 10:19 AM

6,046 posts, read 2,856,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I think it's funny we're talking about plastic bags. Plastic water bottles anyone? Yet no one seems to complain about these.
I haven't used one in years, either. The plastic can leech chemicals into the water.

Old 12-17-2023, 11:39 AM

12,392 posts, read 8,164,577 times
Quote:
They are being banned in jurisdictions and venues all over. Because the bottled water, and juices were never given away like bags as a shopping perk by the merchant it gets less notice

Old 12-18-2023, 07:10 PM

35,099 posts, read 17,051,842 times
Anyone, have we solved the environmental problem created by those bags?

Old 12-18-2023, 09:24 PM

61,756 posts, read 87,217,162 times
How is that on topic??? ^^^
It's a Green Living forum!

Old 12-18-2023, 09:31 PM

61,756 posts, read 87,217,162 times
Quote:
They are banned or collected in many other countries. In some US states too...

Old 12-19-2023, 05:36 AM

4,005 posts, read 4,108,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Newspapers (who buys them anyway?) and grocery circulars are rare here.
I have very little paper trash at home.
My sister puts a couple pieces of junk mail/envelopes/card-type mailers in the bottom of her trash bags (she lives in an apartment complex that doesn’t recycle). I put mine in the recycling bin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
This right here. I don't have liners in my bathroom cans. What are you people throwing away that requires liners? Maybe I don't want to know?
I line my bathroom trash can to avoid having more germs than just throwing tissues, etc. in there. Yuck. I buy liners for my kitchen wastebasket.

I spray and wipe down the wastebaskets with disinfectant when I remove the bags.

I have several medicine bottles on hand for all sorts of little things that I put in my bag for work each day, in my car, garage, a bag for any sort of day trip. When I was going to night classes, I took office supplies (paper and binder clips, erasers) in medicine bottles in my bag.

Old 12-19-2023, 10:10 AM

4,214 posts, read 3,764,709 times
A large majority of the groceries we buy are sealed in some sort of plastic, yet people are against using plastic bags to put those groceries in? Shouldnt we stop buying foods wrapped in plastic too then? Anyway, I prefer the shopping bags because they double as bathroom trash can liners, dog poop bags, etc... and they certainly arent wasted. As far as a trash can liner in the kitchen, we need special ones because we have a compactor, but we only need roughly 1 per week as it is very effective at reducing the volume of trash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living