Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2023, 03:06 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times

Advertisements

For those of you that don't use plastic grocery bags, do you then purchase trash can liner bags? For your smaller trash cans, I mean.

We hoard our plastic grocery bags for re-use for everything, but mostly trash can liners. If you are buying trash can liners, doesn't that sort of negate you not getting the plastic grocery bags? We also use the bags for all sorts of other stuff.

Growing up, my mom used paper grocery bags for trash can liners. But those have their own problems, obviously. I think way back in the metal garbage can times, no one used plastic liners but just put the garbage directly in the can. That was yucky. Not nice for the poor garbage-men either.

What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2023, 03:19 PM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
Being a garbage man is a great job-- $25/hr...and all you can eat!

Even if you ask for paper bags at the PigglyWiggly for groceries, Walmart etc etc don't have them, so you wind up buried in plastic bags anyways..and as I've pointed out here so many times- plastic is made from a petroleum waste product, so no real loss, and actually some benefit in the Re-use Re-purpose Re-cycle sense to using plastic bags.

Many re- use, re-purpose jobs for plastic bags from garbage liners to organizers in shop, garage, laundry room, etc....

We have a non-chain, local grocery store here that accepts plastic shopping bags for recycling, but I'm not sure they actually do recycle them. Does anybody here know?

Old 05-05-2023, 08:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
Our Safeway and Trader Joe use the large paper bags with paper handles, which are useless for lining a small garbage receptacle. The plastic trash bags are all too big or small, so we bring our own re-usable cloth bags to most stores, but when going to one with plastic bags (for 8 cents in our state) we will buy them and use for small bathroom trash liners.

Old 05-05-2023, 09:45 PM

165 posts, read 145,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
We have a non-chain, local grocery store here that accepts plastic shopping bags for recycling, but I'm not sure they actually do recycle them. Does anybody here know?
Walmart and my regional grocery chain (HyVee) both have bins out to collect those grocery bags. I only have a couple trash containers in the house that use those small bags, so I take back most of them to the store. My trash company won't take them anymore in the recycling, so I'd like to think they are actually getting recycled when I drop them off.

Old 05-05-2023, 10:42 PM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
I use grocery plastic bags although I always ask for paper bags, if available. Then use those paper bags.
The problem with some grocery plastic bags is that they aren't airtight (childproof?), so not suitable for wet trash.

Old 05-06-2023, 08:54 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
For those of you that don't use plastic grocery bags, do you then purchase trash can liner bags? For your smaller trash cans, I mean.

We hoard our plastic grocery bags for re-use for everything, but mostly trash can liners. If you are buying trash can liners, doesn't that sort of negate you not getting the plastic grocery bags? We also use the bags for all sorts of other stuff.

Growing up, my mom used paper grocery bags for trash can liners. But those have their own problems, obviously. I think way back in the metal garbage can times, no one used plastic liners but just put the garbage directly in the can. That was yucky. Not nice for the poor garbage-men either.

What do you think?
I buy plastic liners. With drawstrings. I like not cleaning trash cans. Spent 21 years doing that…

One of the best places to buy liners of all sizes and types, plasticplace.com

Old 05-06-2023, 10:34 AM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
I use grocery bags for my small bathroom/bedroom trash containers. I buy tall kitchen bags and large trash bags for the other trash cans.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:36 AM

7 posts, read 4,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
I use grocery bags for my small bathroom/bedroom trash containers. I buy tall kitchen bags and large trash bags for the other trash cans.
Me, too.

Old 05-06-2023, 10:50 AM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
I use grocery plastic bags although I always ask for paper bags, if available. Then use those paper bags.
The problem with some grocery plastic bags is that they aren't airtight (childproof?), so not suitable for wet trash.
True. We use the water-tight veggie bags for wet (food) trash and the regular grocery bags for other trash. They pretend to recycle down here, but I bet they just throw it off a cliff....

I remember the old days of disgusting trash cans before liners....no going back to that!

Old 05-06-2023, 11:17 AM

7,237 posts, read 5,114,062 times
If you compost the wet stuff-- mostly food scraps-- you don't have to wory about messy garbage cans...and we won't suggest that you shouldn't have so much food scraps that it's a problem for you.

Waste not, want not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living