Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2023, 01:34 PM

1,145 posts, read 1,012,054 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDaT...OWstockfootage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 12:30 AM

1,830 posts, read 1,429,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Most houses have attic. I wonder why attics weren't used to dry clothes. That's where lots of people dry clothes overseas, even in community houses they have their assigned space (you get a cellar and attic space with your flat) to dry clothes.
The attics, of course, are super clean and not full of junk people never use.
The way most modern American houses are built, we do not have actual attics. We have a space between the ceiling and the roof, where insulation and some mechanicals are placed. Access to this area is via a narrow, pull-down ladder.

There is no way for an old person like me to haul a full laundry basket up that ladder, even if we had flooring up there, which we don't. We have about a meter of blown in insulation -- loose insulation that should never be compressed by slapping boards on top of it.

Fortunately, I have five acres on which I can plant pretty much any style of clothesline...and our weather rarely gets so cold that one can't dry clothes outside year round.

Old 09-04-2023, 05:17 AM

43,646 posts, read 44,368,561 times
In most places that I have traveled overseas, there have not any clothing dryers available (meaning one has to use either an indoor rack or outside clothing lines). On the other hand, here in the USA many small rental units don't have much inside room for an indoor rack and the tenants aren't permitted to hang clothing lines out their windows (meaning one has to use commercial dryers).

Old 09-04-2023, 11:02 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Bamboo poles out the window is how we dried clothes in Singapore

https://www.rewardlaundry.com/drying...-in-singapore/

Old 09-04-2023, 12:59 PM

8,753 posts, read 5,048,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley. View Post
I have a clothesline strung between two maple trees in the backyard. Rustic, yes, and I love it.
In the winter, I use the drying rack down near the wood stove. I don't, however, dry towels or bedding that way - for them, I use the dryer.
LOL....On our many trips through VT, we would see many cows, near houses with clothes lines, and wonder if the clothes smelled like cow manure.

Old 09-04-2023, 04:04 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,060,489 times
There are also washer/dryer combos (meaning 2 in 1). My friends in Germany had one in 1980. It did a great job. I suspect that they have much better technology now, water and power saving too.

Here is an example:
https://youtu.be/GEcaANDS_FA?si=slGfsUq0IW8KXWm8

What I would like about that is you fill it with dirty clothes and don't need to be bothered till you open it again, and everything is washed and dry.
Guy is talking about a max 5% moisture in some very heavy fabrics like towels, but I think he filled the machine just too full. Air needs to have little more space to penetrate the fabrics. Thinner fabrics were perfectly dry.

I think this is a great combination, especially for busy households.

Last edited by elnina; 09-04-2023 at 04:14 PM..

Old 09-04-2023, 04:22 PM

61,679 posts, read 87,060,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkay66 View Post
The way most modern American houses are built, we do not have actual attics. We have a space between the ceiling and the roof, where insulation and some mechanicals are placed. Access to this area is via a narrow, pull-down ladder.

There is no way for an old person like me to haul a full laundry basket up that ladder, even if we had flooring up there, which we don't. We have about a meter of blown in insulation -- loose insulation that should never be compressed by slapping boards on top of it.

Fortunately, I have five acres on which I can plant pretty much any style of clothesline...and our weather rarely gets so cold that one can't dry clothes outside year round.
Yeah, I noticed that odd ladder coming out a hole in a ceiling. Very dangerous and inconvenient.
In homes I saw overseas it's just regular stairs that lead to a door, when you enter, it's just another house level, just vaulted and unfinished.
I think some house plans should include such option. It could get popular.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living