Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2008, 10:20 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
The City of Austin has been making and selling Dillo Dirt fertilizer from human waste for a long time now. It is, however, made from treated sewage (one wonders how they treat it - must research that). They say it's fine for vegetable gardens - I'd be more concerned about the "treatment" part than the "human" part, myself.
Considering all the stuff now in our water supplies because of drugs, etc., that people are using, that's still in treated sewage, I'd be very cautious using the stuff. It's one thing if it's from your immediate household, entirely another when it's everyone's in a city mixed together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2008, 12:17 PM

385 posts, read 1,921,173 times
I know that people are discouraged from using waste from carnivores because of the bacteria it has. I would think that it would be the same for humans. I don't think you want to mix what you eat with what your body just got rid of.

Old 10-19-2008, 02:30 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,701,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
Fnord,

I have a rural farm in WV, and it has a composting commode. The waste goes to a collection area where it is continually agitated over an electric heater plate. The result is essentially dust. I usually clean it once every 6 months by mixing the waste with peet moss, and burying in the woods.

I will use the system until my new house is built and a regular septic system is installed. For now, it works fine.

Mark
!!!!!!! That's great! I've never heard of such a thing. I think i found my new home in the green living section of this forum.

Anyway to add a methane extractor?

*post added to favorites.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM

967 posts, read 2,996,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1ngzer0 View Post
!!!!!!! That's great! I've never heard of such a thing. I think i found my new home in the green living section of this forum.

Anyway to add a methane extractor?

*post added to favorites.
I don't think it'd be too hard to add, but I'm not sure if the financial benefit is there. Our composting commode works fine. I empty it about every 6 months; I just mix the mostly dry waste with peat moss and bury it in the woods. Aside from that, it's flush and forget.

Old 11-06-2008, 01:15 PM

14 posts, read 32,392 times
I read the humanure Handbook a few months ago, but I haven't worked up the courage to implement a composting toilet yet, even though it makes perfect sense to.

Old 11-08-2008, 06:48 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,757,983 times
I have experimented with bio gas using cat poop. The waste is converted to compost and free gas is liberated for cooking. The result is safe compost as the anerobic digestion kills the nasties as far as I know.

Old 11-08-2008, 09:16 AM

5,266 posts, read 8,747,546 times
We thought about using one till we got our bathroom and septic system added but we opted for a good old fashioned outhouse which we used for 18 months. It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

Old 11-10-2008, 08:37 PM

111 posts, read 463,176 times
One of the biggest problems with the composting toilets is getting your local health dept to let you use it.
We have a lot of "off grid" properties in our area and some areas where septic systems cannot be installed, but from what I understand the county here has said no to composting toilets, go figure the logic, since I live in a drought state, they would rather we flush all of our water.

Old 11-11-2008, 12:45 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
Composting toilets is not practical because the ceramic does not break down very well.
Hey Greg, glad to see I am not the only one who thought that!

Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 AM

967 posts, read 2,996,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColfaxTeri View Post
One of the biggest problems with the composting toilets is getting your local health dept to let you use it.
We have a lot of "off grid" properties in our area and some areas where septic systems cannot be installed, but from what I understand the county here has said no to composting toilets, go figure the logic, since I live in a drought state, they would rather we flush all of our water.
Who's asking the local government for permission???

My commode is internal to my house. The resultant product looks just like dry peat moss. I take it out to the woods and dump it. It blows aways immediately; no pile or mess. Make sure the wind is at your back!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living