Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 06:07 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by idecharlotte View Post
Yes that's what I'm saying. I didn't make it up. I believe the calculation to determine that statistic was determined by taking the average amount of water required to grow the crops that feed the cows for their average life span before they are slaughtered for meat. If I'm not mistaken, the equivalent amount of calories in a vegetable form requires about 1/100th the amount of water. Raising meat is an extremely inefficient means of growing food. "Life cycle Assessments" (LCA) is becoming more popular to determine the carbon footprint of a product. Recent LCA's have revealed that meat and animal products have a much larger carbon footprint than vegetable/ grain consumption. Although I agree that soy "products" aren't ideally healthy, from a carbon footprint standpoint, they have less impact than cattle. Again, for further insight, please read "The End of Food" by Paul Roberts. He is not a vegetarian and it is not a book about becoming a vegetarian for those close-minded about changing their eating habits. It addresses the original question of the post much more eloquently and in more detail.

So then, if rain isn't falling on corn fields, it isn't falling at all?

The bottom line is that that is absurd. Period.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,489,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeBee View Post
Artichomesteader: "A vegetarian or vegan diet probably indirectly kills more animals than my own diet." What??? Talk about wild generalizations
Habitat destruction...

Old 06-10-2009, 07:49 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
I'm going to say this very very quietly - ingested soy affects hormone levels far more than any cow's milk does. You fellas think about that.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:06 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
I'm going to say this very very quietly - ingested soy affects hormone levels far more than any cow's milk does. You fellas think about that.
Must keep away from my pre-menopausal wife.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:24 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idecharlotte
Again, not trying to change anyone's eating habits here. I'm just trying to drive home the point that from an ecological standpoint, consuming soy is less harmful to the planet than consuming milk. I think there are plenty of books and studies that speak to this.
Fact #1: My goats live in a forest.

Fact #2: My goats eat trees.

Fact #3: The trees in our forest shoot up faster than the goats can eat them.

I do not drink milk as I do not like estrogen, however my Dw likes their milk and their cheese.

Fact #4: the phrase "milk harms the planet" sounds like it was written by someone from Pluto on really bad drugs.

"Milk harms the planet"???

Has got to be the goofiest idea since Al Gore invented the internet 40 years after it was already in use.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:27 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny
And our nation is becoming filled with men who are clinically sterile, who have drank milk all of their lives.

Little girls who have been growing breasts at 10 years old.

There is way to much estrogen in our nation's diet.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:28 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,395,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Habitat destruction...
Exactly. Somehow those who want us all to become vegetarian don't do the math about just how much habitat will have to be destroyed if we do and that we'll be in direct competition with the herbivores (which we're not - herbivores, that is - we're omnivores, horrors!) because we'll need their habitat to grow crops - that habitat that's suitable for growing crops, that is.

Old 06-10-2009, 08:33 PM

4,176 posts, read 10,686,242 times
Um - actually I was speaking of testosterone levels...

(again, very very quietly)

Oh, and Beekeeper? I HATE milk and had to get my calcium from pills. And my early and quite obvious (blush) development was credited to the fact that I LOVE beef. However, after talking to several agrarian folk here, I discovered that there was more estrogen in a can of peas than in a whole 1000 lb cow...

I'm blaming all the pea soup I doted on as a child...

Old 06-10-2009, 10:47 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Interesting how well human children have done on cow's milk for generations. And, of course, on the many other things that some folks now have decided must be "bad" for us wholesale (rather than bad for the occasional person who has an allergy or other individual physiological idiosyncracy). I don't by any means think that the things that I eat that my body demonstrates with good health for me MUST be the way and the Only Way for everyone, no matter their individual genetics, and that that's what everyone must eat and be healthy on, and I would prefer the same respect from others (though I'm not going to hold my breath, as diet seems to be one of those areas where misplaced religious fervor takes root easily these days).

It would be best if we all paid attention to what our bodies tell us about what we're eating and ate accordingly and stopped right there, without generalizing our own experiences to the entire human race.
Yes! If you look at any food that has been traditionally eaten by a group of people for centuries you see that it has become a part of their diet and fills a nitch. And a tolerance of it has developed. There are places where the diet is spicy hot from early childhood, and it has come to be that way for practical reasons. For someone not from that place its scorching. But for those who have eaten it all their lives its normal.

Yes, we need to all step back a few paces and let others be themselves. Those who have to insist that they are right sometimes make me wonder if inside there is this need to have all their answers proven by everyone else. Or perhaps its the idea that if its bad for you its your mission to save everyone else from it.

Old 06-10-2009, 10:57 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
And our nation is becoming filled with men who are clinically sterile, who have drank milk all of their lives.

Little girls who have been growing breasts at 10 years old.

There is way to much estrogen in our nation's diet.
Test the water of any area, and you'll find a trace of estorgen. You may even find a good jolt. Along with many other drugs. This is what is causing these things, not drinking milk. Its not just the use of birth control drugs, but the disposal of them when they aren't used (along with so many other drugs). The "flush them down the toilet" idea means that all that drug just ends up in the water table.

There are many other reasons why men may be clinically sterile too. Stress, pollution, lack of sleep, generally poor nutrition.... Maybe milk in some very small may way contribute, but a few glasses of it a day is minescule to all the others.

All of these things, including the way kids mature so much younger, have many causes. Don't blame this ONE thing and brand it as "bad" when the conditions you describe are so complex and complicated and no one *potential* factor is everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Green Living