Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2010, 08:04 AM

231 posts, read 713,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt chill View Post
Oh and Pit Bulls??? Please, why would anyone want one??
Because when properly trained and cared for, a pit bull is one of the most loving, intelligent, protective dogs one can own.

But like a gun, it is potentially dangerous in the wrong hands. Most dog owners refuse to believe the fact that most people should not own dogs, just as most people fail to understand that they should not be parents.

I see no reasonable explanation for why dog ownership (or parenthood, for that matter) shouldn't require certified training and licensure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2010, 08:26 AM

645 posts, read 1,504,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Because when properly trained and cared for, a pit bull is one of the most loving, intelligent, protective dogs one can own.

But like a gun, it is potentially dangerous in the wrong hands. Most dog owners refuse to believe the fact that most people should not own dogs, just as most people fail to understand that they should not be parents.

I see no reasonable explanation for why dog ownership (or parenthood, for that matter) shouldn't require certified training and licensure.

Agree to all said..

Old 07-12-2010, 09:55 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,842,116 times
Absolutely you should get him fixed. That sould have happened whether this incident occurred, or not.

If neighbor kids were harassing your dog(s), you might consider filming them doing it. Not sure what legal evidence that could ever be, but at least if there were ever any kind of legal situation, you'd be able to show that your neighbors weren't "innocently bothered" by your dog.

But yes, definitely confine him more. I am a huge dog lover, but ultimately it's your responsibility to keep him out of other people's yards, just as with children. And it is true that the fact he is a pit bull will make people act more irrationally than had it been, say, a cocker spaniel.

Old 07-13-2010, 08:42 AM

13 posts, read 39,337 times
Do yourself and your dogs a BIG favor and have a 6 or 8 foot tall wooden privacy fence put up in your backyard ASAP. Have it set in from the property lines anywhere from 5-10 feet and leave your existing 4 foot chain link fence around the property line in place. And put padlocks on all your gates!

That way, no one will be able to get right up to the wooden fence that your dogs will now be behind to taunt them and your dogs won't be able to get right up to your neighbors' yards and fence fight with their dogs.

Legally no one has the right to shoot your dog unless it is threatening or actually attacking someone, but, believe me, that won't stop the kind of people you appear to have as neighbors from shooting your dog. And then it is their word against what? Your now dead dog? You "lucked" out this time, will you be so "lucky" next time? I doubt it.

By the way, it is also against the law to threaten, incite, harass, etc., anyone's dogs especially when they are confined in their owner's yard, but I have personally had neighbors' lawn services, landscaping crews, friends and the neighbors themselves harass my dogs on more occasions I than I care to think about, despite the fact that my dogs AND I were just sitting quietly in our backyard, not bothering anyone. I have learned the hard way to NEVER let my dogs be out in the yard by themselves - I just don't trust ANYONE around here.

I have also had incidents where I was walking one or both of my dogs on their leashes and have had neighbors' loose dogs come running aggressively up to mine - the loose dogs barking and charging - and then have had the neighbors get an attitude with me when I've asked them politely but firmly to please come get your dog. Both of my dogs have been attacked twice this way and they now are scared to death when they see a loose dog charging at them, and frankly, I am too. Bottom line, I can control my dogs when they are on leashes, but I cannot control someone else's loose dog (and it's not my responsibility), nor can I control my dogs if someone else's dog is free to come right up to them (especially if it attacks my dog). Why don't people get this?

As an "outsider" who moved to Winston several years ago, it seems to me that the locals feel they have the right to just let their dogs roam loose all over, never pick up their waste and leave them out all day and night barking their heads off. But don't you do it! And don't complain to them or the authorities, then you get on everyone's "list". But you see for yourself, how quick they are to go after you and your dog, the first time it finally escaped. So why are you worried about being a "nice guy"? Don't let them get away with ANYTHING! Document and call, call, call the authorities! (After you get the second fence put in, that is!)

And by the way, I have NEVER let any dog I ever owned run loose, -I love them too much and would worry what would happen to them (hit by car, attacked by another animal, etc.)

Good luck to you!

Old 07-13-2010, 09:46 AM

3,062 posts, read 7,040,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
You can't be serious. I've been very familiar with more than a dozen pits in my life, and not one of them ever attacked or even threatened anyone.
I can't say the same about chihuahuas, small terriers and other yappy dogs, of which I've known very few who HAVEN'T attacked someone.
I've known a dozen people in my life who haven't attacked anyone, so there fore all people are harmless?

Quote:
Maybe she's a juggalo?

Old 07-13-2010, 10:10 AM

231 posts, read 713,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles22 View Post
I've known a dozen people in my life who haven't attacked anyone, so there fore all people are harmless?
Who said that all pit bulls are harmless?
Reading comprehension is your friend.

Old 07-13-2010, 12:29 PM

525 posts, read 2,124,446 times
Quote:
cause for the most part Pits are loveable family dogs with very active happy personalities and wagging tails.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:36 AM

3 posts, read 6,273 times
It doesn't matter what kind of dog it is, if a strange dog walked into my home or on to my property, my first line of defense is to protect my family and pets. Shooting the dog would not be my first reaction. Instead, attempting to control and maintain the safety of human life would be the priority. In most US cities if a person enters your home and places your life or if you feel your life is in danger you have every right to protect yourself. The local enforcement offices will have less concerns for animals if the situation is out of hand and left with no other choice. Best solution is to keep your dog where it belongs and on a leach when walking. The pet owner is responsible for controlling their pets at all times.

Old 10-20-2010, 07:50 AM

277 posts, read 689,441 times
I have some personal experience with this. I am a dog lover, and in fact owned one of those "yappy little terriers" (a Westie) but we lived next door to a family with pit bulls.

I was out mowing my lawn the day before my son graduated from high school and completely minding my own business, just busy mowing. As I was mowing along the chain link fence, the pit bull charged the fence (I didn't even know it was outside) and managed to break through the bottom part of the fence, get his head underneath and bit the top of my foot and ankle. I consider myself lucky. It was a deep wound and I live with the scars . . but I still have a foot because he was not able to wriggle completely under the fence due to his size.

My neighbors at the time (I no longer live there) told me the dog was friendly, sweet and had never bitten before. However, the vet who had vaccinated the dog confirmed that there were numerous other reports to the contrary - as well as the police.

Number one, I have to say, get rid of the chain link fence. Get a wooden fence that is very secure without enough space at the bottom for a dog to "wriggle" under and high enough that the dog cannot see and/or jump over the top. Chain link fences are too easily dug under, pushed aside, etc.

Just my honest opinion from someone who's been in this situation . . .

Old 10-20-2010, 09:27 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,717,637 times
Yes, someone can shoot your dog. So if you don't want your dog shot, ensure you keep it secured inside your home or yard.

The key is 'secured'. Your failure to totally secure the dog (doesn't matter if you have a 20 foot high brick wall around your home) and it gets out, technically anyone can shoot the dog.

The shooter might get into some trouble but all they have to say is the dog was charging them or another person and they are likely to get off. They can add the dog appeared to be foaming at the mouth- doesn't matter if it's true or not....the dog will be dead.

So, love your dog and want to be a good master? Then secure the dog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: