Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 23,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Better the dog be shot than it attack someone, which pitbulls do inevitably, no matter how "sweet" they are.
I owned a pit bull who grew to be an old dog, and she never attacked a human being. Now, if you are a car better get out sight
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2013, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
You can't be serious. I've been very familiar with more than a dozen pits in my life, and not one of them ever attacked or even threatened anyone.
I can't say the same about chihuahuas, small terriers and other yappy dogs, of which I've known very few who HAVEN'T attacked someone.
how funny ... I have a chihuahua right now (my daughters dog) and he is the friendliest danged dog that I have ever had. He wont attack a bug, seriously he tries to play with them. He does tend to bark a lot at night, and that annoying.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by didee View Post
First of all, I am being judgmental, but GET THAT DOG FIXED. Why on earth isn't he neutered???? That's a big deal.

Call your local animal control and ask what your ordinances are for the area. I know animal control told me that I could "do whatever is necessary" to protect myself and pets if a dog got into my yard (the dog next door was an agressive dog and a fence jumper). I said "you mean I could shoot it?" And he said yes. Although I am not sure that synchs with shooting a gun within city limits. At any rate, I don't do guns and wouldn't be able to shoot a dog anyway.

My advice: Secure your fence. Pits are notorious for climbing. You may want to try putting inverted wire mesh at the top of your fence, facing inward toward your property. Because the one next door climbed a 6' fence with great ease. But with the mesh tilting inward toward your property, it can help deter him getting out.

It doesn't matter what the GSD does in the neighborhood, although I understand your comparison and frustratoin. You're just responsible for your dog, so be proactive and get it neutered and secure your yard so he can't get out.
True, my pit could climb very well ... a good fence is vital not only for your neighbors safety and well being, but your dog's as well

Old 01-17-2013, 06:02 AM

945 posts, read 969,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Maybe it is just me, but I have never seen anyone with a pitbull that appeared to have even average intelligence, or even an average socio-economic position in life. I have never seen a pitbull being walked by anyone in a business suit or nice, or even clean clothes.

IMHO pit bulls are owned by lower class, losers, that are trying to compensate for their own failure in life, by having a dog that can kill and maim.

Not being prejudicial, just relying my experiences, on what I have seen in the real world.

They should all be put down immediately, and their owners dealt with appropriately.

Your the kind of neighbor that I would go back to bed if your house is on fire or a robber breaking in your house. The practicality of a pitbull is far greater than a stupid dog that can't do anything to a human in the form of defense. Get a goldfish.

Pitbulls are just as tame as any other dog when raised properly, but they can also do serious damage when needed. Pitbulls are a great dog, and I don't even own one.

Old 01-17-2013, 06:10 AM

945 posts, read 969,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1kimchris View Post
I have a pit bull, he is the sweetest and nicest dog, when we moved in the first thing we did was put up a fence. We are extremely responsible pet owners, we understand and know what it to have and handle pit bulls, we know the stereo type as well. We also have 2 kids, and a bird our dogs have never once hurt anyone. Our neighbors have a german sheppard that everyone in the 5 house radius just love, well that gs attacked a lady and her dog bite her, he attacked my dog and almost attacked my son...we didn't complain on them b/c they promised to get a fence, the lady he bit did complain and he got into minor trouble, both of the dogs he attacked where on a leash and he was not...then they started tying him up onto their back porch with a nylon rope that could reach our fence and for months that dog bothered mine, every time he came out he went straight to our fence and our dogs would go crazy at the fence, so we took pictures and video'd the events warned the neighbors and finally called animal control...they got in trouble but now all our neighbors hate us...b/c we have 2 pits and a boxer and b/c we got that gs into trouble...well after 4 years of living here our dogs never escaped our yard never not once, in the last few weeks I have seen one of the neighbors jump at our dogs from the closet neighbors yard, seen him through firecrackers close to our fence, seen his son run down to our yard and run away...just annoying our dogs..then one of my pits kongs disappeared then the next night he jumped the fence and went down to the neighbors house...we got down there and they were calling 911 screaming and acting crazy the guy had a gun pointed at my dog who was shaking and scared to death in the corner...they were cussing and yelling they were gonna shoot him b/c he is a pit, they admitted he was scared and was no threat but he was a pit...I was furious we have dogs all the time get loose and run into our yards and others yards no one has a fit like that no one causes unneeded stress we usually hold the dogs until owners come if we can to prevent them being hit by a car....can he legally shoot my dog? We are trying to take measures so he doesn't jump again but I think this neighbor had something to do with him jumping, I don't know if he jumped for that matter he always says he hates pits and would shoot em....we live in clemmons, nc what are the laws and any suggestions? I am going to get the pit fixed hoping if a female is in heat that will help, we are watching him for his exit point but there seems no not be one...it is a 4 foot chain link fence and like I said he never ever jumped in the past 4 years....I am truly scared thinking he is doing this on purpose, I am afraid nothing we do will fix it if he is doing it....
Yeah, you really need to learn how to properly express yourself with formatting and grammar.

That being said, I couldn't read more than half of it but I get the essence of this. (I think)

You have a right to protect your property, if your property is not causing damage to someone else. Substitute a child for your dog, would you allow someone to pull a gun on your child?

I would have recorded video or had my spouse record, pulled a gun on the neighbor and told him to put the gun down and if he makes a move towards me or my dog he will be met with force.

A dog is your property, and if it is behind a fence, cowering in fear, being teased with firecrackers, with a motive to injure the dog (retaliation for reporting to AC) then you can defend your property as necessary. (Especially if the dog is not trespassing or attacking another persons property)

It sounds drastic, but if you let this guy push you around and act irrational (pulling a gun on anyone without a clear threat?) then HE can be shot in self defense.

After it has been recorded, I would give the video to the authorities and file charges.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:35 PM

774 posts, read 1,858,215 times
Default 2 Sides

Yeah ... people are being irrational about it.
Pits can be as harmless as any other breed IF the owner is responsible and trains and socializes it.
  1. A good idea is to make sure your dogs are well trained ... obedience, not attack training.
  2. The dog HAS to return when called.
  3. Then, on leash, begin walking the dog and slowly introducing him to the neighbors. (If they're as prejudiced about the breed as most of these folks, that's going to take some work!)
  4. Next, know that any dog will bite. And yes, you have to take full responsibility for everything that happens to your pets. Even the little jerk who taunts it. Train them both!
  5. Last, do complain about the GS owner who's dog bites. At least talk to that owner at length about good the situation... build a supportive relationship. If there are people being bit in the neighborhood already, then emotions are already off the chart. Nobody wants to get bit.
I was a military dog handler and I love dogs... but most people don't recognize that any dog will bite and guard dog breeds are loaded weapons and have to be trained and treated as such.

It's not your fault that these people are ignorant about Pits. They've been told that any and all pits are vicious "animals" that will kill them. Think about how irrational people are about each other... then realized that it's "normal" for them to be irrational about your dogs.

Old 01-19-2013, 12:42 PM

774 posts, read 1,858,215 times
Default If you must, attack the issue, not the person

@ derosterreich
That's a pretty crappy reply.
You don't know if the person is from another country and perhaps speaks two or three languages.
Have you ever lived in another country and tried to learn not only to speak a different language, but to read and write it too?

Perhaps "YOU NEED TO LEARN" how to be play well with others.

In fact, there's a "Holier Than Thou" tone to a LOT of these remarks. Perhaps this is symptomatic of why we've entered that, "Age of Aquarius" we've been singing about for decades ... armed to the teeth!

I ask myself sometime... just what are Americans so afraid of?
Then I read stuff like this, and realize one of the fears just might be revenge for the way they've been treating other people!

Old 01-19-2013, 01:35 PM

328 posts, read 682,722 times
I love dogs. Had several over the years. But..I hate people who do not take care of their dogs, or put other people at risk by not securing their dog so it cannot attack OR threaten others (people or pets). You got a pet bull dog---that dog is well know for attacking others. One cannot deny that, the records is clear. And most owners do tell you how lovable their pet bull dog is. And most owners of pet bulls I know will tell you the same thing....how lovable their dog is. Therefore you have the additional responsibility to make sure that dog is behind a 6 foot fence at all time. (5 foot just does not do it). And if he digs under the fence.....you are the problem, not the dog. And if he escapes and gets killed, or hurts someone--you are at fault. If a pet bull dog came running on my property and threatened me, my pets, my family, my children--that would be the end of that dog. And it would be your fault, the owner--that caused the death of your pet bull.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:08 PM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybb View Post
I love dogs.

If a pet bull dog came running on my property and threatened me, my pets, my family, my children
--that would be the end of that dog.
short message
Attached Thumbnails
Can a neighbor shoot my dog-petey.jpg  

Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,581 times
Small dogs cant do that much damage its the Pits that you need to worry about I have a small chihuahua which is dead now because 2 Pit killed her in her own yard, this should of not happen if their owner kept them ties up instead of running loose, my dog would be still living she was killed Jan 27 2013, and I am mad and upset about this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: