Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2010, 08:59 AM

1 posts, read 16,233 times

Advertisements

I have a pit bull, he is the sweetest and nicest dog, when we moved in the first thing we did was put up a fence. We are extremely responsible pet owners, we understand and know what it to have and handle pit bulls, we know the stereo type as well. We also have 2 kids, and a bird our dogs have never once hurt anyone. Our neighbors have a german sheppard that everyone in the 5 house radius just love, well that gs attacked a lady and her dog bite her, he attacked my dog and almost attacked my son...we didn't complain on them b/c they promised to get a fence, the lady he bit did complain and he got into minor trouble, both of the dogs he attacked where on a leash and he was not...then they started tying him up onto their back porch with a nylon rope that could reach our fence and for months that dog bothered mine, every time he came out he went straight to our fence and our dogs would go crazy at the fence, so we took pictures and video'd the events warned the neighbors and finally called animal control...they got in trouble but now all our neighbors hate us...b/c we have 2 pits and a boxer and b/c we got that gs into trouble...well after 4 years of living here our dogs never escaped our yard never not once, in the last few weeks I have seen one of the neighbors jump at our dogs from the closet neighbors yard, seen him through firecrackers close to our fence, seen his son run down to our yard and run away...just annoying our dogs..then one of my pits kongs disappeared then the next night he jumped the fence and went down to the neighbors house...we got down there and they were calling 911 screaming and acting crazy the guy had a gun pointed at my dog who was shaking and scared to death in the corner...they were cussing and yelling they were gonna shoot him b/c he is a pit, they admitted he was scared and was no threat but he was a pit...I was furious we have dogs all the time get loose and run into our yards and others yards no one has a fit like that no one causes unneeded stress we usually hold the dogs until owners come if we can to prevent them being hit by a car....can he legally shoot my dog? We are trying to take measures so he doesn't jump again but I think this neighbor had something to do with him jumping, I don't know if he jumped for that matter he always says he hates pits and would shoot em....we live in clemmons, nc what are the laws and any suggestions? I am going to get the pit fixed hoping if a female is in heat that will help, we are watching him for his exit point but there seems no not be one...it is a 4 foot chain link fence and like I said he never ever jumped in the past 4 years....I am truly scared thinking he is doing this on purpose, I am afraid nothing we do will fix it if he is doing it....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 09:01 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,132,345 times
Can you apply formatting to make that easier to read?

Old 07-11-2010, 10:30 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,728,204 times
Better the dog be shot than it attack someone, which pitbulls do inevitably, no matter how "sweet" they are.

Old 07-11-2010, 01:46 PM

572 posts, read 1,610,505 times
My guess is if your neighbor shoots your dog he/she may get a ticket for discharging a firearm in a residential area but I doubt it's against the law to shoot a dog that is inside someones home uninvited. The dog may be extremely freindly but what happens if it bites a small child? I mean if it came into my house uninvited I'd probably shoot it too.

The obvious solution is to keep your dogs out of other peoples homes.

Old 07-11-2010, 02:33 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,213,961 times
I love dogs (have two hounds), but if I had kids and found a pit in my back yard...I would probably have a ticket for discharging a firearm...oh wait, I live in the country and probably wouldn't get a ticket?

Old 07-11-2010, 04:27 PM

231 posts, read 712,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Better the dog be shot than it attack someone, which pitbulls do inevitably, no matter how "sweet" they are.
You can't be serious. I've been very familiar with more than a dozen pits in my life, and not one of them ever attacked or even threatened anyone.
I can't say the same about chihuahuas, small terriers and other yappy dogs, of which I've known very few who HAVEN'T attacked someone.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:12 PM

108 posts, read 371,698 times
Honestly it doesn't really matter - if they shoot him, not being allowed to do so won't bring him back. Given the situation I'd be supervising my dogs whenever they were in the yard and keeping them indoors if I couldn't - neighbors do crazy things and the teasing and stealing of things points to some escalation that could lead to bigger problems (i.e. poisoning, injury, etc.).

Old 07-11-2010, 09:20 PM

1,424 posts, read 5,336,506 times
First of all, I am being judgmental, but GET THAT DOG FIXED. Why on earth isn't he neutered???? That's a big deal.

Call your local animal control and ask what your ordinances are for the area. I know animal control told me that I could "do whatever is necessary" to protect myself and pets if a dog got into my yard (the dog next door was an agressive dog and a fence jumper). I said "you mean I could shoot it?" And he said yes. Although I am not sure that synchs with shooting a gun within city limits. At any rate, I don't do guns and wouldn't be able to shoot a dog anyway.

My advice: Secure your fence. Pits are notorious for climbing. You may want to try putting inverted wire mesh at the top of your fence, facing inward toward your property. Because the one next door climbed a 6' fence with great ease. But with the mesh tilting inward toward your property, it can help deter him getting out.

It doesn't matter what the GSD does in the neighborhood, although I understand your comparison and frustratoin. You're just responsible for your dog, so be proactive and get it neutered and secure your yard so he can't get out.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:05 PM

123 posts, read 278,339 times
Default Dogs!

A 4ft fence is not going to stop any dog! And yes people do tend to treat pitbulls we a sense of fear. If you cannot understand why just google pitbull attacks and see how many links pop up?

Pit Bull and Fatal Dog Attack Statistics - DogsBite.org Some nice reading material here!

Of the 88 fatal dog attacks recorded by DogsBite.org, pit bull type dogs were responsible for 59% (52). This is equivalent to a pit bull killing a U.S. citizen every 21 days during this 3-year period. The data also shows that pit bulls commit the vast majority of off-property attacks that result in death. Only 18% (16) of the attacks occurred off owner property, yet pit bulls were responsible for 81% (13). Pit bulls are also more likely to kill an adult than a child. In the 3-year period, pit bulls killed more adults (ages 21 and over), 54%, than they did children (ages 11 and younger), 46%. In the 21-54 age group, pit bulls were responsible for 82% (14) of the deaths. The data indicates that pit bulls do not only kill children and senior citizens; they kill men and women in their prime years as well.

Yes we all love our dogs. But when was the last time some yappy little dog mauled and killed anyone? Personally I would not shoot a pitbull that just happened to hop my fence and was in my yard, But if your dog or any dog was in my backyard and being in anyway aggressive, well guess what? The life of my family comes first over any dog.

I wish you the best of luck with your neighbors, and hope your pets stay safe.

Old 07-12-2010, 07:39 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,352 times
You dog people... Sorry I have no love here, barking noise issues with non control. Aggressive alpha dogs owned by humans who in this case seem to be having pi$$ing match with each other I bet the rest of the neighbors are sick of the barking dogs....

Oh and Pit Bulls??? Please, why would anyone want one??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
View detailed profiles of: