Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 06:45 PM

52 posts, read 184,174 times

Advertisements

I recently mentioned Shugert builders (ie spelling) in clemmons and had negative feedback on them. What about McCar builders any better and if so why? Thanks looking @ the development in Kernersville Robins Brook. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-28-2007, 07:21 PM

5 posts, read 23,828 times
Default McCar Homes feedback

I am also looking into this same community. I am getting a bad impression but I would also like some feedback to help determine if this is a fair assessment. Thank you!

Old 08-29-2007, 05:40 PM

8 posts, read 7,298 times
Default Grain of salt

Talk to home owners in the sub-division for their honest opinions. Take what you read here with a grain of salt

Old 08-29-2007, 07:04 PM

5 posts, read 23,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F+S+D+S View Post
Talk to home owners in the sub-division for their honest opinions. Take what you read here with a grain of salt
Thank you for the advice. I am wondering though if the current home owners were dissatisfied, whether they will be honest when it might be in their best interest for the houses around them to sell? Just a thought. I hope I can get some honest feedback from them though. I will give it a shot. Thanks again for the response!

Old 08-29-2007, 11:00 PM

52 posts, read 184,174 times
Why a bad impression

Old 09-03-2007, 06:15 AM

12 posts, read 70,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Friars View Post
I recently mentioned Shugert builders (ie spelling) in clemmons and had negative feedback on them. What about McCar builders any better and if so why? Thanks looking @ the development in Kernersville Robins Brook. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
My wife and I recently moved into a McCar home in Greensboro (Willoughby Park). The neighborhood is great and the house is as well. We have a few typical issues in a new home and one major issue. The major issue is dealing with the carpet in the house. It seems as if it was maybe a part of a bad run. The carpet literally comes out (balls up in a wad that you can pick up) if you run your had across it, scoot your foot across it or vacuum it. I filled and entire gallon-sized ziplock bag with carpet that came out from the bottom of the vacuum cleaner (not counting what was in the vacuum bag) just vacuuming the upstairs. Now with that explanation out of the way, a representative is coming out on the 10th to do our 30-day walk-thru. I will reserve my judgement about McCar until the results of that meeting. I will be back to update on the 11th.

Old 09-06-2007, 08:56 AM

5 posts, read 16,787 times
I'm not too familar with McCar builders. I will say this. Stay completely away from the large track builders like Shugartt. Track builder are known for building inexpensive homes which comes with the price of getting a "cheap" home. You get what you pay for. I would recommend any homes built by a local small in comparison builder. Look at Coldwel Banker cbtriad.com or PrudentialCarolinas.com to search for these types of builders.

Moderator cut: no realtor links is also a great place to learn about the neighborhoods as this is the developer for many of these local builders.

Thanks.
Brent.
[mod] link not allowed [?MOD]

Last edited by autumngal; 12-21-2007 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: no realty links

Old 09-21-2007, 05:57 AM

12 posts, read 70,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Love The South View Post
My wife and I recently moved into a McCar home in Greensboro (Willoughby Park). The neighborhood is great and the house is as well. We have a few typical issues in a new home and one major issue. The major issue is dealing with the carpet in the house. It seems as if it was maybe a part of a bad run. The carpet literally comes out (balls up in a wad that you can pick up) if you run your had across it, scoot your foot across it or vacuum it. I filled and entire gallon-sized ziplock bag with carpet that came out from the bottom of the vacuum cleaner (not counting what was in the vacuum bag) just vacuuming the upstairs. Now with that explanation out of the way, a representative is coming out on the 10th to do our 30-day walk-thru. I will reserve my judgement about McCar until the results of that meeting. I will be back to update on the 11th.
Sorry for the delay in responding..... It's a long story but the short version is that McCar uses Shaw carpet. Basically, when Shaw cuts their carpet they use a process that is basically like a sandwich (there is the carpet backing on both the top and the bottom with the actual carpet in the middle) then they cut through the middle. If you happen to get a run that was on the "top" part of the sandwich you tend to get a bunch of balling (like what we have been getting). We were told by McCar that after 3 or so vacuumings that it would stop (we had intentionally stopped vacuuming so they could see the problem). My first thought was "yeah, right" but the rep from McCar said if it continued for another month they would replace it. Well, sure enough, a couple of vacuumings later....not balling! It's very strange (and if given the choice I would not choose Shaw carpet simply for the hassle it has caused) but the carpet is just fine now. McCar was VERY accommodating in all of our requests (even replacing the microwave door that got a big scratch after closing). So, in the end, I have nothing but good things to say about McCar and their reps. As for the quality of the home....we feel it is a very well built home. We have no complaints about the construction whatsoever.

Old 09-21-2007, 08:04 AM

525 posts, read 2,125,602 times
Many times, with builders like Centex, McCar, Shugart, etc. you get a lack of quality control that an independent builder would have. Of course, you get code inspections, but keep in mind that just because something passed code doesn't make it the best. Building Codes are the LOWEST acceptable standards for building, so if a builder says "it passed code" and sounds proud of it, be sure to say something like "oh so you did just enough to pass? Why not go a little above and beyond? Hmmmm?" These large tract builders are moving units, so it's all about the bottom line.

GET A HOME INSPECTION- even on a brand new house. Doesn't matter who the builder is. ALWAYS get a home inspection. Always. Get two if you like.

Old 12-10-2007, 08:43 PM

1 posts, read 3,652 times
Default I have a McCar home and would not recommend

I have lived in it for just over 1 1/2 years, and I have had a lot of problems, and still do. Many of my neighbors have also had major issues with their home, and/or are completely aggravated with them. I am so frustrated with the company and the house that I have just created a web site of my own to share my complaints. I live in Robbins Brook, which was one of the first McCar developments in this area. Now I see them going up everywhere. The initial contact with McCar is great, but after the sale, their company lacks in many ways. Unfortunately, so do many of their contractors. If anyone is looking to buy a McCar home, I would recommend that you cruise the internet and read as much info as you can about this builder.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point