Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2012, 01:10 PM

2 posts, read 3,228 times

Advertisements

Hi all! My family and I are moving to Greensboro in May from Boone. We have a 4 year old son and 7 year old daughter. I will be working at Lincoln Financial and my wife is an RN.

We were curious about a few things.

What are the best public/charter schools in the area?

What are the best areas to live? Best neighborhoods, communities, etc.

Are there areas that are more liberal or more conservative? Areas that have younger families?

Thanks so much!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2012, 07:48 PM

479 posts, read 836,981 times
For many in Guilford, public charter schools earn an A : News-Record.com : Greensboro & the Triad's most trusted source for local news and analysis (http://www.news-record.com/content/2011/09/24/article/for_many_in_guilford_private_charter_schools_earn_ an_a - broken link)

NW Guilford district seems to be favored. Although there are good schools to be found through-out the county for varying age groups. Google will yield many ratings and online resources to compare.

Coming from Boone not sure what to recommend that might feel more "homish" right away.

College Hill around UNC-G has a growing population of young families with kids. However there are also college students; and uh...well it's a city. Guilford College/Quaker Village is like a small town within Greensboro. Then there's Adam's Farm area/Sedgefield/the newer neighborhoods along 68/Wendover area with younger families.

Then there's Battleground, up to Lake Brandt and Townsend. Summerfield, Oak Ridge, Fleming Rd. The Cardinal area. Forest Oaks south east of Greensboro. And a lot of places/areas that would be nice to live, etc.

Some areas have a more liberal than others. Not sure what to say, excepting to drive around. Get out and walk through grocery stores. To get a rough idea of the variety of individuals you'll encounter.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:25 PM

7 posts, read 19,860 times
I would say the Oak Ridge area or Summerfield area. They are less congested, have lower taxes, and have low crime.

Old 02-16-2012, 01:46 PM

5 posts, read 5,542 times
in case you need one for the kids, check out this greensboro pediatrician

Old 03-03-2012, 12:33 PM

13 posts, read 15,324 times
For info on Guilford county schools follow this link

District Search Results Page

My DD is 7 and is a 1st grader at Summerfield Elementary. She really loves it! I had a conference with her teacher recently and DD will probably be at beginning 4th grade reading level by the end of the school year. Amazingly enough, this is about the level of most of her classmates. We looked at a number of different schools while DD was in pre-k, so I would suggest arranging tours of schools that you might think would be good fits for your l/o. The schools we were interested in were pretty accommodating, so going to visit in person shouldn't be an issue.

I'd say Greensboro is fairly even as far as liberal vs conservative. I'd probably be center right politically, and I have a number of liberal democrat friends and it's really not that big of a deal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point