Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 03:59 PM

12 posts, read 43,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
..........and sweetie, honey, hon. That's about right for this area.
I like being called names like that. A few years ago there was a southern lady who worked at the grocery store down the road, and called all her customers names like that, and ended up getting fired for it. People actually complained about her because she was too nice and didn't liked being called sweetheart and darlin. Isn't that awful? People around here are very introverted and conservative. I hate it. I can't wait to be around people who show affection in ther mannerisms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2012, 05:11 PM

115 posts, read 179,958 times
I've found people to be very welcoming and very friendly here. You always have to be somewhat careful as you would anywhere, but I think the majority of people here are genuinely caring and good.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:50 PM

12,572 posts, read 15,625,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgiapeach View Post
I like being called names like that. A few years ago there was a southern lady who worked at the grocery store down the road, and called all her customers names like that, and ended up getting fired for it. People actually complained about her because she was too nice and didn't liked being called sweetheart and darlin. Isn't that awful? People around here are very introverted and conservative. I hate it. I can't wait to be around people who show affection in ther mannerisms.
Where is here?
I really don't care for it, but I don't make a scene out of it either. At least they are attempting to be courteous as opposed to having an attitude. I don't like being called 'sir'.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieleanor View Post
I've found people to be very welcoming and very friendly here. You always have to be somewhat careful as you would anywhere, but I think the majority of people here are genuinely caring and good.
Most here are reasonably decent and are willing to reciprocate.

Old 04-12-2012, 08:19 PM

I am from Lancaster County, PA. I work in retail and call all men Sir. I've never had anyone tell me they didn't like it lol. Why don't you?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorgiapeach View Post
I am from Lancaster County, PA. I work in retail and call all men Sir. I've never had anyone tell me they didn't like it lol. Why don't you?
Because I'm nobody's commanding officer.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:12 PM

[quote=WFW&P;23837941]Because I'm nobody's commanding officer.[/QUOT
That is interesting actually. I've never thought of it that way, and never had anyone tell me they felt this way. Out of curiosity, what would you prefer to be called because I am sitting here thinking of a polite thing to say to a male customer right now without using the term sir. "Thankyou and Have a Nice Day _____? I can't think of anything else besides sir. lol. How about dude. Jk.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:38 PM

[quote=gorgiapeach;23851936]
Quote:
Because I'm nobody's commanding officer.[/QUOT
That is interesting actually. I've never thought of it that way, and never had anyone tell me they felt this way. Out of curiosity, what would you prefer to be called because I am sitting here thinking of a polite thing to say to a male customer right now without using the term sir. "Thankyou and Have a Nice Day _____? I can't think of anything else besides sir. lol. How about dude. Jk.
"Thanks Dawg!!" jk
Bolded works, also 'thank you for shopping with us' or 'thank you for shopping at _____'
Allow me to clarify; if someone addresses me as "sir" I don't make a scene out of it.

Old 04-13-2012, 10:18 PM

475 posts, read 905,009 times
Quote:
Because I'm nobody's commanding officer.
The term is often reserved for use only toward equal, one of superior rank or status, such as an educator or commanding officer, an elder (especially by a minor), or as a form of address from a merchant to a customer. Wikipedia
I prefer it to 'hey you '.I use it all the time.

Old 04-14-2012, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
The term is often reserved for use only toward equal, one of superior rank or status, such as an educator or commanding officer, an elder (especially by a minor), or as a form of address from a merchant to a customer. Wikipedia
I prefer it to 'hey you '.I use it all the time.
If trying to capture my attention I understand, otherwise I don't see the need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point