Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 06:46 AM

11 posts, read 27,240 times

Advertisements

As Lorieleanor stated, the people here are very friendly. I've been here my entire life, and this has always been my experience. I now live in Clemmons which is pretty close to Winston Salem and the people here are friendly as well. I like the coffee shops that Winston Salem has downtown as well, Caminos bakery, Cafe ole, krankies, etc.... I just had a daughter but I have already begun to research schools for her lol but I like what I am seeing. I also enjoy Tanglewood park in clemmons, me and my fiance go there often to walk around when it's warm out. Every now and then we go to the pool to relax. I could list a lot more, but these are the first things that came to mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 04:24 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Hunter View Post
As Lorieleanor stated, the people here are very friendly. I've been here my entire life, and this has always been my experience. I now live in Clemmons which is pretty close to Winston Salem and the people here are friendly as well. I like the coffee shops that Winston Salem has downtown as well, Caminos bakery, Cafe ole, krankies, etc.... I just had a daughter but I have already begun to research schools for her lol but I like what I am seeing. I also enjoy Tanglewood park in clemmons, me and my fiance go there often to walk around when it's warm out. Every now and then we go to the pool to relax. I could list a lot more, but these are the first things that came to mind.
I lived in Atlanta for many years prior to this, and generally you don't speak to strangers or even look at people when you're out in public. It's not really that way here...I've been shocked a few times when someone at the grocery store or other public places has spoken to me out of the blue. It's a very friendly place!

Old 05-07-2013, 08:35 AM

11 posts, read 27,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
I lived in Atlanta for many years prior to this, and generally you don't speak to strangers or even look at people when you're out in public. It's not really that way here...I've been shocked a few times when someone at the grocery store or other public places has spoken to me out of the blue. It's a very friendly place!
lol, yes, it really is. I've only been to atlanta once so I really don't know how it is there. Atlanta does have some beautiful scenery though. The underground is a cool place there.

Old 05-09-2013, 09:31 AM

6,610 posts, read 9,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG Hunter View Post
lol, yes, it really is. I've only been to atlanta once so I really don't know how it is there. Atlanta does have some beautiful scenery though. The underground is a cool place there.
Yes I agree...but the "not speaking to strangers" is just a big/dangerous city element that I'm not finding very often here.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:10 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,425,126 times
When I moved to DC, way back, I had lived my entire life in NC, most of it in Greensboro. I had NO IDEA people there didn't say "Hey" on the street. People in my new Dupont Circle neighborhood looked at me like I had a third eyeball on my face. I'll take the friendliness any day.

Old 07-08-2013, 07:12 AM

475 posts, read 900,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
When I moved to DC, way back, I had lived my entire life in NC, most of it in Greensboro. I had NO IDEA people there didn't say "Hey" on the street. People in my new Dupont Circle neighborhood looked at me like I had a third eyeball on my face. I'll take the friendliness any day.
Same thing has happened to me too many times in Sarasota after moving from the midwest. They don't look at me with fear- they look at me like' what are you doing talking to me?...Looking forward to a move to The Carolina's.

Old 01-02-2014, 11:46 AM

122 posts, read 200,271 times
The panthers and the cougars.

Old 01-05-2014, 09:54 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,878,299 times
I currently live in NY and really can't stand it here for many reasons. I have a friend who lives in Salsbury which is close to The triad area and loves it. I've been wanting to get out of NY badly for years now and it's time. We are going to visit her some time in Feb and see if the area looks like what we want. From all I'm reading here it sounds almost perfect! We are NOT your "typical" NYers at all.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:39 PM

22 posts, read 56,572 times
Hi, fellow NYer here, not original - transplanted from Texas many many many years ago through the USAF from which I am not retired 100% DAV. I have been doing alot of research and am ready, this winter has sealed it, to make the move. As of 1 Mar I am completely debt free and ready to move and start looking for my first house purchase (1958 isn't my fav number - lol) better late than never... NC is, I am almost positive, the State. Now trying to decide where to focus visits over the next 6 mos. Was focused heavily on WNC (Asheville area) or Johnson City TN because I love the mountains and my mother who will be moving to senior apts wherever we go, is afraid of tornados terribly which seem to have a history more toward the center and coast of NC. But Asheville is also farther away from other options and more expensive with not as many smaller towns around with less expensive houses, which is what I am looking for. My mother is a non smoker but has COPD pretty bad and is very sensitive to other scents and chemicals in the air, even in peoples houses. Nothing will be good for her, it is just a matter of trying to minimize. Right now where she is a hospital is burning something toxic that is going into her apt. Have to watch out for that kind of thing which was the other reason I had thought it might be better to stay away from the Triad but if there are inexpensive towns around the outskirts and the temperatures are a bit cooler as I saw - that would be a huge plus because the heavy air and humidity is also a problem for her. But NY is horribly humid and freezing. At least I can get rid of one of those two things I hope. My oldest son is interested in moving down that way also and is taking his CISCO cert soon so that would be a great area for him to find great opportunities (i think). I love nature like most people. But for me - it all I have waited for my whole life - having an acre or two of trees and grass with a little creek on it. I'd rather have that and a really nice mobile home than a fancy house on a 1/10 acre lot... I will want to stay at 100K and am not looking for fancy just a solid house in the basics (foundation, structural, wiring, heat,...) Cosmetics and nonessential improvements could be done as I go as long as it is a solid liveable house. I am good at making places home and doing stuff myself as long as it isn't technical. Anyone have some ideas for me.

Old 01-23-2014, 06:43 PM

22 posts, read 56,572 times
sorry - I said "not retired" should be "now retired"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point