Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 01:47 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,394,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Winston is hilly, and i like that, makes me feel like i'm in a city in the mountains.
Where are the hills in Winston? It has been 10 years since I have been up there but I don't remember the hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 03:27 PM

398 posts, read 498,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simpsonvilllian View Post
Where are the hills in Winston? It has been 10 years since I have been up there but I don't remember the hills.
Where are the hills? Umm, everywhere. How can one answer a question like that? Winston is pretty hilly...elevation in Forsyth County ranges from 700 feet to 1,100 feet above sea level. Hanes Mall is about 800 feet, downtown is 925, Smith Reynolds airport is about 1,000 feet. Hills everywhere.

Here's a topo map:

http://en-us.topographic-map.com/pla...-Salem-799714/

Old 04-16-2016, 03:54 PM

to me 'hilly' means something like Birmingham or the north Atlanta suburbs. I know WS isn't pancake flat but I wouldn't have called it hilly. I was thinking that I missed an area of the metro.

I believe the Triad is on a plateua which means it can have some elevation but still be relatively flat.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-16-2016 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-16-2016, 05:43 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times
Quote:
to me 'hilly' means something like Birmingham or the north Atlanta suburbs. I know WS isn't pancake flat but I wouldn't have called it hilly. I was thinking that I missed an area of the metro.

I believe the Triad is on a plateua which means it can have some elevation but still be relatively flat.
No, read what Lucky Dog wrote. He's absolutely correct.

The Triad is in the Piedmont which means foothills... not on a plateau. Have no idea where you got that from. And as you go west and northwest, it gets hillier, so W-S has more hills than Greensboro.

Old 04-16-2016, 05:48 PM

Dictionary.com has the following for Piedmont.

a plateau between the coastal plain and the Appalachian Mountains, including parts of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama.

Old 04-16-2016, 07:44 PM

398 posts, read 498,079 times
Quote:
Dictionary.com has the following for Piedmont.

a plateau between the coastal plain and the Appalachian Mountains, including parts of Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia, and Alabama.
The definition of piedmont also includes:

The name "Piedmont" comes from the French term for the same physical region, literally meaning "foothill", ultimately from Latin "pedemontium", meaning "the foot of the mountains".

I consider W-S to be fairly hilly. YMMV.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:44 PM

I have lived in numerous cities in the Piedmont, and I am aware of the literal meaning. But keep in mind cities like Columbia and Raleigh are in the Piedmont and not near the mountains. They are on the eastern edge of the Piedmont, at the fall line.

The foothills is really describing a small transition region between the Blue Ridge mountains and the western part of the Piedmont plateau. W-S is not in the foothills because the BLue Ridge mountains cannot be seen from it. Mount Airy and Elkin are the two closest foothill cities to W-S. Greenville SC is often said to be a foothills city because you can see the Blue Ridge Mountains but it isn't right at the base of the Blue Ridge so it is more correct to say it is in the Piedmont.

I would say W-S has gentle rolling hills. Greenville has bigger hills and even a little mountain but I still wouldn't call it hilly in general. The highest hill in W-S that I could find on Google maps appears to be the Oak Summit area.

Old 04-17-2016, 05:53 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,381,291 times
Quote:

Visit again. I'll take you running. And biking. There's a reason Winston is a popular area for serious cycling. It's quite hilly, especially to the north and west.

Old 04-18-2016, 02:21 PM

i will check it out again soon, I am going to Pilot Mountain in a few weeks.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:15 PM

9 posts, read 6,919 times
Quote:
I have lived in numerous cities in the Piedmont, and I am aware of the literal meaning. But keep in mind cities like Columbia and Raleigh are in the Piedmont and not near the mountains. They are on the eastern edge of the Piedmont, at the fall line.

The foothills is really describing a small transition region between the Blue Ridge mountains and the western part of the Piedmont plateau. W-S is not in the foothills because the BLue Ridge mountains cannot be seen from it. Mount Airy and Elkin are the two closest foothill cities to W-S. Greenville SC is often said to be a foothills city because you can see the Blue Ridge Mountains but it isn't right at the base of the Blue Ridge so it is more correct to say it is in the Piedmont.

I would say W-S has gentle rolling hills. Greenville has bigger hills and even a little mountain but I still wouldn't call it hilly in general. The highest hill in W-S that I could find on Google maps appears to be the Oak Summit area.
Winston Salem is hilly. Baptist is literally on a hill. Open your eyes. They're everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point