Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,474,087 times

Advertisements

What is up with the aggressive driving in the triad area? This isn't just about people going 15 over the speed limit, this about aggressive and mean spirited driving through parking lots as well. For instance, even in a parking lot, the same rules should apply as out on the road in that you stay to the right hand side of the road. My wife and I had just pulled out of our parking space, and had to circle around so we could leave the parking lot. We stayed to the right, but this guy in this SUV was coming around the other way, driving on the left hand side of the road. He started becoming very agitated and aggressively motioning us to drive around him - forcing us to drive on the wrong side of the driveway in the parking lot. As we whipped around him he started cussing at us.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this behavior. We were driving through the parking lot of another area shopping center a few months back when we were almost met head on with this woman who was not only, again, driving on the left hand side of the drive way through the parking lot, but was speeding. She started cussing at us as if we had done something wrong, in which we hadn't.

What is up with this type of attitude behind the wheel? Surely this isn't the norm for the Greensboro area? For the most part, people I see are very nice, but I've seen more crazy driving in the last few months since I've moved here than I have in my entire life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2013, 10:20 AM

8 posts, read 16,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
What is up with the aggressive driving in the triad area? This isn't just about people going 15 over the speed limit, this about aggressive and mean spirited driving through parking lots as well. For instance, even in a parking lot, the same rules should apply as out on the road in that you stay to the right hand side of the road. My wife and I had just pulled out of our parking space, and had to circle around so we could leave the parking lot. We stayed to the right, but this guy in this SUV was coming around the other way, driving on the left hand side of the road. He started becoming very agitated and aggressively motioning us to drive around him - forcing us to drive on the wrong side of the driveway in the parking lot. As we whipped around him he started cussing at us.

This isn't the first time I've noticed this behavior. We were driving through the parking lot of another area shopping center a few months back when we were almost met head on with this woman who was not only, again, driving on the left hand side of the drive way through the parking lot, but was speeding. She started cussing at us as if we had done something wrong, in which we hadn't.

What is up with this type of attitude behind the wheel? Surely this isn't the norm for the Greensboro area? For the most part, people I see are very nice, but I've seen more crazy driving in the last few months since I've moved here than I have in my entire life!
Honestly I have noticed sort of the same thing lately. I have lived in Greensboro for almost 20 years but just over the past two years or so I have noticed more road rage. I think it's more a symptom of the times we live in than driving skill. People are just unhappy and angry in general.

I drive between Greensboro and Winston-Salem for work and almost every single morning there is at least one or two cars on Bus-40 going about 85 or 90 MPH in heavy traffic, tailgating the car ahead until there is a small gap in the other lane then swerving into that lane then swerving back. I mean, we're all in a hurry but let's get there in one piece.

Another interesting anecdote. Just a couple of weeks ago I was headed home and I noticed well ahead on a somewhat empty road a small pick-up swerving between lanes. He was puttering along in the right lane and whenever a car in front of him slowed to make a right turn, he would run up their rear bumper, then violently swerve into the other lane and violently swerve back into the right lane. Like he was so inconvenienced that someone in his lane would dare make a right turn. LOL. I mean c'mon chief there's a whole other lane to your left that is faster and is empty. No point in swerving all over the road.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkKnopfler View Post
Honestly I have noticed sort of the same thing lately. I have lived in Greensboro for almost 20 years but just over the past two years or so I have noticed more road rage. I think it's more a symptom of the times we live in than driving skill. People are just unhappy and angry in general.

I drive between Greensboro and Winston-Salem for work and almost every single morning there is at least one or two cars on Bus-40 going about 85 or 90 MPH in heavy traffic, tailgating the car ahead until there is a small gap in the other lane then swerving into that lane then swerving back. I mean, we're all in a hurry but let's get there in one piece.

Another interesting anecdote. Just a couple of weeks ago I was headed home and I noticed well ahead on a somewhat empty road a small pick-up swerving between lanes. He was puttering along in the right lane and whenever a car in front of him slowed to make a right turn, he would run up their rear bumper, then violently swerve into the other lane and violently swerve back into the right lane. Like he was so inconvenienced that someone in his lane would dare make a right turn. LOL. I mean c'mon chief there's a whole other lane to your left that is faster and is empty. No point in swerving all over the road.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Have you noticed that the more expensive the car, the faster and more reckless the driver? I know that's not true for everyone who's driving luxury vehicles, but I had three different Mercedes Benz pull out in front of me the other day when I was heading home. Three different ones! The first one I nearly T-boned, because I was that close when she pulled out in front of me. And I'm not one to speed. In fact, I go 5 over and that's usually about as fast as I'm willing to go.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:01 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,393,049 times
People really need to calm down. A grown woman cut me off today on I-40 in the POURING rain. I was in the ride lane, she was in the pass lane, but she cut me off so she could pass someone on the right. She gave me the one-finger salute as she went, even though I braked to let her in (despite her lack of signal).

I've noticed here what I see in places like Raleigh, Charlotte, Columbia, etc.: A dangerous combo of Sunday drivers who ignore ride-lane-pass-lane conventions and generally putt along at their own pace and, conversely, a group of people who watch too much TV and follow too closely, change lanes without signalling, go 30 over the posted limit, etc. Put those things together and you get a recipe for disaster.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:12 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,041,305 times
Quote:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this. Have you noticed that the more expensive the car, the faster and more reckless the driver? I know that's not true for everyone who's driving luxury vehicles, but I had three different Mercedes Benz pull out in front of me the other day when I was heading home. Three different ones! The first one I nearly T-boned, because I was that close when she pulled out in front of me. And I'm not one to speed. In fact, I go 5 over and that's usually about as fast as I'm willing to go.
It's pretty much the same way everywhere I've ever lived...if there was a way to take note of the courteous/calm/lawful drivers it would be easy to realize that they are 95% of the people on the road. The ones that really stand out are the a$$holes.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:53 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
I drive a MB and usually become the target to pull out in front of. Seems like menstral cycle, about once a month people randomly pull of in front of me. However, not so much in my work van.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:01 AM

3,183 posts, read 7,207,077 times
When you see an aggressive driver you need to cal 911.Let the cops explain things to him ,its not your job.

Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I drive a MB and usually become the target to pull out in front of. Seems like menstral cycle, about once a month people randomly pull of in front of me. However, not so much in my work van.
LOL! I'll tell ya, whenever I see a luxury car like a Mercedes or a Jag on the road, I try to make sure I keep my distance and not pull out in front of them. I don't ever want to wind up in an accident and have to pay for someone's nice, shiny luxury vehicle (of course I don't want to be involved in any accident with any vehicle.)

Speaking of these luxury vehicles, how in the world is it that the highways in the Triad area are full of MBs, Jags, Lexus, etc...? I mean, seriously, are people really making that much money down here? If so, then I really need to get on the ball with finding a closer job!

Old 05-21-2013, 08:44 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
LOL! I'll tell ya, whenever I see a luxury car like a Mercedes or a Jag on the road, I try to make sure I keep my distance and not pull out in front of them. I don't ever want to wind up in an accident and have to pay for someone's nice, shiny luxury vehicle (of course I don't want to be involved in any accident with any vehicle.)

Speaking of these luxury vehicles, how in the world is it that the highways in the Triad area are full of MBs, Jags, Lexus, etc...? I mean, seriously, are people really making that much money down here? If so, then I really need to get on the ball with finding a closer job!
I don't know, our newer one turns 20 this year and the other is 24 years old. Maybe there are some really good lease rates out there.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I don't know, our newer one turns 20 this year and the other is 24 years old. Maybe there are some really good lease rates out there.
Sorry to derail my own thread, lol, but I have to ask, did you buy them used? I was looking at used MBs online the other day (more curiosity sake than anything else) and it seems like even the older ones look really nice. If yours has held up that long, they must be top notch, mechanically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point