Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 3,720 times

Advertisements

Today The Local Winston Salem Sunday Newspaper{11/23/07} Published A Local Pole...the Results Of This Pole Stated That The Majority Of The Fine Church Going Population Wanted Nothing To Do With "newcomers,yankees And Hispanics"...they Say We're Disrupting There Southern Traditions ....some Pointed To The Loss Of The Civil War And Others,specifically A North Carolina University Professor Who Said..soon The Traditional Southern Food Will Be Tacos And Enchiladas Instead Of Grits And Moonpies..an Enlightened Man For Sure...my Real Estate Agent Told Us They Were No Longer Fighting The Civil War..she Needs To Get Out More...very Sorry We Moved Here...

Old 11-25-2007, 08:07 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,054,422 times
These polls are not scientific and do not test a representative population sample. They are only intended for entertainment purposes.

Winston-Salem Journal

Old 11-25-2007, 08:08 PM

331 posts, read 1,128,815 times
Informative post. Newcomers take heed. The polls may not be scientific, and they probably don't represent the majority, but they do represent the feelings of a large minority (plurality perhaps?) of North Carolinians.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,054,422 times
According to the 2000 Census, only 63% of North Carolinians are natives. I imagine that number has been further reduced over the past 7 years.

Old 11-25-2007, 09:23 PM

620 posts, read 2,123,409 times
Who cares. This is America and we can live wherever we want. The South is not its own country. They want you to read that and say "Gee, I shouldn't of moved here" and contemplate leaving. Why let them win? Sorry, but most people here do not feel that way. As long as you don't associate with people like that you will never notice it unless it is in some stupid newspaper article.

Old 11-26-2007, 03:17 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,530,339 times
these quotes make it sound as if people have just started "invading" their state...people have been moving from state to state, and immigrating from different countries into all 50 states--some of them for centuries...why are they complaining now? that is nonsense, and they dont like to admit that the influx of "yankees" (myself included) is just adding to the beauty of what this country is and has always been...wether they moved here 400 years ago, or 4 months ago...
try to remember--none of us are actually from here...

Old 11-26-2007, 06:40 AM

20 posts, read 88,713 times
Several years ago my sister moved to Fayetteville. My wife and I have been all over North Carolina, we love it and plan to move to the Winston-Salem area next year when I retire. We live in PA now. We have always found the people in North Carolina to be very friendly and I never felt like an unwanted Yankee. Unfortunately, there are rude people everywhere, even in the south, you just can't get away from them. I find more nice people in North Carolina than I find in PA. I look forward to a slower pace and kinder people when we move. My biggest worry is that too many people from the north move there and bring their fast-paced, hurry-up, rude attitudes along with them. I like the south the way it is, I hope it stays that way and I am one Yankee who wants to conform to southern ways, I don't expect them to change for me.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:06 AM

4,897 posts, read 18,530,339 times
i dont want them to change for me either. i am here for personal and financial reasons, but i didnt come with plans to change anyone or anything. and i have found people are very nice, freindly and helpful.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:24 AM

23 posts, read 84,006 times
Ok, I just looked at the article. The question asked is "Is the South losing its unique character"? 57% said yes and 43% no. After that there are comments from some of the panel members (you can just register at the Journals website to be apart of it) Some of the comments are pretty ignorant and some are good. Some ppl blame northerners and immigrants and some blame developer.This is def not a what most southerners think.

Old 11-26-2007, 07:45 AM

525 posts, read 2,129,403 times
The South is most definitely not losing its character any more than anywhere else in the country. The Walmarting of the US is causing each region to lose its particular flavor.

Polls are not, repeat NOT scientific.

Unwelcomenewby, where do you live? Perhaps maybe you need to get out more. Get to some metro areas where the accent and the attitude of the "south" goes away a bit.

Of course, anyone who brings a rude, pushy NYC attitude down here, there will be some resistance. We don't like Rudeness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point