Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2016, 07:49 AM

511 posts, read 511,344 times

Advertisements

Fun Fact: When the Canes played in Greensboro, The Coliseum was the largest arena in the NHL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2016, 10:19 AM

6,160 posts, read 7,229,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
Fun Fact: When the Canes played in Greensboro, The Coliseum was the largest arena in the NHL.
One of my old NHL PlayStation games had Greensboro as the home venue. Greensboro Coliseum was spelled out on the ice

Old 01-12-2017, 09:02 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,395 times
Has anyone been to a Swarm game yet? I was thinking about checking them out. The prices seem high though. I did a brief check and it looked like almost all the seats along the sideline (not front row) are $32!? Front row seats were much more than that. I know it's a small venue so the further back seats would be close enough, but it looked like there was just one row of seats at $16. If that's the case, I'll wait for baseball season. lol

Old 01-12-2017, 10:03 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,385,922 times
Quote:
And the emptiest.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
And the emptiest.
Except when Wayne Gretzky played there.

It was mainly empty because it wasn't Greensboro's team. It was Raleigh's team playing in Greensboro for a few years. Actually some people were upset because Greensboro sold out just to temporarily host an NHL team

Old 01-12-2017, 10:09 AM

12,573 posts, read 15,569,171 times
Quote:
I don't know if it still holds true but Greensboro Coliseum once had the distinction of being the largest coliseum on the east coast WITHOUT a major sports franchise.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I don't know if it still holds true but Greensboro Coliseum once had the distinction of being the largest coliseum on the east coast WITHOUT a major sports franchise.
I think that is still true. The Triad CMSA is also like the second largest metro in the country without a major league sports team. I think the Hampton Roads/Norfolk area is the largest.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,630,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I think that is still true. The Triad CMSA is also like the second largest metro in the country without a major league sports team. I think the Hampton Roads/Norfolk area is the largest.
Inland Empire CA (San Bernardino etc) is much larger without any major sports - but I guess it's close enough to LA to not count? I was going to say Las Vegas also, but they'll have NHL hockey next winter. I think Austin TX is larger than the Triad and doesn't have any major league sports.

Old 01-12-2017, 07:42 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,057,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Actually, Hampton Roads was the biggest 20 years ago. But that area is essentially stagnant. Since then, Austin has surpassed it and also doesn't have a major league team. Obviously Las Vegas has been the largest until the NHL committed to go there (and they'll probably get the Raiders too).

As far as the Triad is concerned, the area is not really considered one region by metropolitan area standards. The area is split between Greensboro/High Point and Winston-Salem.

Old 01-13-2017, 08:40 AM

37,888 posts, read 41,990,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
As far as the Triad is concerned, the area is not really considered one region by metropolitan area standards. The area is split between Greensboro/High Point and Winston-Salem.
Sports franchises don't go by MSAs; they look more at CSAs and DMAs as sports teams have pull for miles and miles around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point