Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:59 PM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Sports franchises don't go by MSAs; they look more at CSAs and DMAs as sports teams have pull for miles and miles around.
I understand that and didn't say otherwise (was more of a tangent comment). I also find it a bit arbitrary how they judge MSAs. Hampton Roads is one region and the Triad is two. Makes no sense.

As far as a region as a whole though, the Triad is one of the bigger areas without a pro team, but would also be one of the smallest with one. I haven't done the research, but I can only think of one that is surely smaller (Green Bay).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2017, 06:02 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Technically the Triad is divided into two MSAs but it's still one region. It doesn't change commuting patterns and if the Triad's population ever become large enough in the the far future for let's say a second NBA team in the state, they aren't going to look at the Greensboro - High Point MSA and the Winston-Salem MSA as separate regions. But then again if the Triad's population got that large the government would redefine the entire Triad as one MSA.

I still don't understand why they separated Greensboro and Winston-Salem in the first place They also separated Raleigh from Durham and Chapel Hill. It makes no logical sense. But at the same time they kept these regions entacted as a Combined MSA.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Technically the Triad is divided into two MSAs but it's still one region. It doesn't change commuting patterns and if the Triad's population ever become large enough in the the far future for let's say a second NBA team in the state, they aren't going to look at the Greensboro - High Point MSA and the Winston-Salem MSA as separate regions. But then again if the Triad's population got that large the government would redefine the entire Triad as one MSA.

I still don't understand why they separated Greensboro and Winston-Salem in the first place They also separated Raleigh from Durham and Chapel Hill. It makes no logical sense. But at the same time they kept these regions entacted as a Combined MSA.
Greensboro, NC and Winston-Salem, NC are two MSAs. Yet Gloucester County, VA and Gates County, NC are are one MSA for some reason. Take a look at a map and see how ridiculous that is.

I understand the MSA designation won't affect the Triad's ability to get a team (nor did I ever say it did). The reason the comment was there was more discussing the ranking of areas and I was simply commenting that technically it's two MSAs... even if it really is one true region. My point still stands that other than Green Bay, I can't think of a smaller area that does have a pro team.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Greensboro, NC and Winston-Salem, NC are two MSAs. Yet Gloucester County, VA and Gates County, NC are are one MSA for some reason. Take a look at a map and see how ridiculous that is.

I understand the MSA designation won't affect the Triad's ability to get a team (nor did I ever say it did). The reason the comment was there was more discussing the ranking of areas and I was simply commenting that technically it's two MSAs... even if it really is one true region. My point still stands that other than Green Bay, I can't think of a smaller area that does have a pro team.
I agree it makes no sense whatsoever. It's almost if it was purposely done to keep metro population numbers down in some of these areas because I can't think of any other reason why it was done. Thousands of people commute between Greensboro and Winston-Salem as well as between Raleigh and Durham every day. The commuting pattern alone should be enough to keep these cities in one MSA. Yet Charlotte stays completely intact and then adds more counties far into South Carolina. It probably benefits Charlotte having the Triangle and Triad split up at least on paper. Maybe the politicians who drew up the newer MSA lines are from Charlotte lol. It potentially has an impact on federal funding in some smaller communities that were once a part of a larger MSA. I'm starting to believe that the newer MSA designations are political in nature almost like a form of gerrymandering because nothing seems to be consistent.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 01-14-2017 at 07:25 AM..

Old 01-14-2017, 12:25 PM

743 posts, read 825,242 times
Quote:
I agree it makes no sense whatsoever. It's almost if it was purposely done to keep metro population numbers down in some of these areas because I can't think of any other reason why it was done. Thousands of people commute between Greensboro and Winston-Salem as well as between Raleigh and Durham every day. The commuting pattern alone should be enough to keep these cities in one MSA. Yet Charlotte stays completely intact and then adds more counties far into South Carolina. It probably benefits Charlotte having the Triangle and Triad split up at least on paper. Maybe the politicians who drew up the newer MSA lines are from Charlotte lol. It potentially has an impact on federal funding in some smaller communities that were once a part of a larger MSA. I'm starting to believe that the newer MSA designations are political in nature almost like a form of gerrymandering because nothing seems to be consistent.
Mecklenburg county (Charlotte) has a much stronger economic influence within it's region & that's why Charlotte's msa continues to add counties. Although many people commute between Greensboro& Winston-Salem, you also have to factor in recreation,shopping & entertainment which most residents of either city can find without having to go to the other.

Old 01-18-2017, 08:12 AM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I understand that and didn't say otherwise (was more of a tangent comment). I also find it a bit arbitrary how they judge MSAs. Hampton Roads is one region and the Triad is two. Makes no sense.
Actually it makes plenty of sense when you think about it. Hampton Roads is geographically constrained and this is why the seven primary cities of the region all bleed into each other and are all part of one urbanized area. By contrast, Greensboro and Winston don't even touch and have their own clear spheres of influence (although they start overlapping somewhere around Kernersville) and urbanized areas.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Actually it makes plenty of sense when you think about it. Hampton Roads is geographically constrained and this is why the seven primary cities of the region all bleed into each other and are all part of one urbanized area. By contrast, Greensboro and Winston don't even touch and have their own clear spheres of influence (although they start overlapping somewhere around Kernersville) and urbanized areas.
True. I think Kernersville city limits either touch Greensboro or it's really close to doing so. Kernersville annexed into Guilford County. I know Kernersville touches Winston-Salem.

Old 01-18-2017, 10:35 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,372,406 times
Quote:
True. I think Kernersville city limits either touch Greensboro or it's really close to doing so. Kernersville annexed into Guilford County. I know Kernersville touches Winston-Salem.
K'ville and G'boro are about 2 miles apart at their closest point.

Old 11-30-2017, 10:29 AM

Greensboro Swarm game to air on ESPNU

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...n-tv-game.html

Old 11-30-2017, 10:57 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,628,093 times
We're going to our first Swarm game next week!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point