Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2017, 08:49 AM

874 posts, read 1,016,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The loop is way ahead of schedule thanks to funding that moved the project up. Once that last section is complete, they will start putting up I-840 shields along the corridor and at interchanges at I-85 and I-40. They have already put up I-785 shields at the I-40/I-85 interchange on the east side of town. The northeastern leg will be designated as I-840/I-785. The northern section will be I-840. The western section I-840/I-73. The southwestern section is already I-73 and the southeastern section is I-85. I-785 will be an interstate spur between Greensboro and Danville, VA along the Hwy 29 corridor. Eventually, it will continue to Washington DC as another interstate designation meaning travelers coming from the south along I-85 would be able to bypass Durham and I-95 entirely shortening travel time to DC quite a bit. Greensboro is becoming a major interstate junction with interstates heading to the west coast, Atlanta, the midwest, Myrtle Beach and eventually Washington D.C. along the I-785 corridor.
While all this sounds great and very encouraging for Greensboro and Guilford County at large, let's not rush the fact that I-785 still remains under construction in North Carolina and is nowhere near going to be complete anytime soon in Virginia in the Danville area. As this recent article below notes, the gap between spending for interstate projects in Northern Virginia compared to that for projects in Southside is so great that "Over the past 20 years, more than $10 billion has been spent in the northern part of the state, compared to $900 million in this region." This also makes it unlikely I-73 will be built in Virginia in the next 10 years at least, I would imagine, so any traffic coming from the midwest likely will continue to use I-77 and/or U.S. 52 in the foreseeable future.

Greensboro does have almost all the elements in place right now to make it a transportation hub via vehicle, but if Virginia doesn't put money behind upgrading 220 and/or 29 into interstates, it's not going to get much more traffic from the midwest or DC coming from those routes even with the local interstate upgrades.

‘Future I-785 Corridor’ signs return to Danville as ‘a symbol of a promise’ | Business | godanriver.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2017, 09:50 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,464,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
While all this sounds great and very encouraging for Greensboro and Guilford County at large, let's not rush the fact that I-785 still remains under construction in North Carolina and is nowhere near going to be complete anytime soon in Virginia in the Danville area. As this recent article below notes, the gap between spending for interstate projects in Northern Virginia compared to that for projects in Southside is so great that "Over the past 20 years, more than $10 billion has been spent in the northern part of the state, compared to $900 million in this region." This also makes it unlikely I-73 will be built in Virginia in the next 10 years at least, I would imagine, so any traffic coming from the midwest likely will continue to use I-77 and/or U.S. 52 in the foreseeable future.

Greensboro does have almost all the elements in place right now to make it a transportation hub via vehicle, but if Virginia doesn't put money behind upgrading 220 and/or 29 into interstates, it's not going to get much more traffic from the midwest or DC coming from those routes even with the local interstate upgrades.

‘Future I-785 Corridor’ signs return to Danville as ‘a symbol of a promise’ | Business | godanriver.com

I agree with this. Right now, there is a stand still in Southside VA about I-73 and I bet it doesn't happen anytime soon.

Old 10-30-2017, 09:52 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,327,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
I agree, while there are a lot of small bypasses around central VA towns, upgrading US-29 from Danville to DC to "interstate quality" would probably take 10's on billions and I just don't see the Commonwealth of Virginia all that excited to spend that kind of money, even with federal government help. Heck the Commonwealth wants nothing to do with I-73 in their state and that route is a lot shorter than upgrading US-29.

Old 10-30-2017, 10:37 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
Really depends on how much the federal government gets involved which could speed up the timeline. I dont see it happening under the current administration.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:20 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,817,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I-785 will be an interstate spur between Greensboro and Danville, VA along the Hwy 29 corridor. Eventually, it will continue to Washington DC as another interstate designation
No, it won't continue to Washington. In fact, around 20+ years ago when the Lynchburg city council proposed extending I-83 from Baltimore to Greensboro along US-29, the Piedmont Environmental Council in central VA went nuts to the point that VDOT eventually sent them a letter saying that any attempt to make US-29 an interstate through central VA was not and is not an official plan. The PEC most recently spent a lot of time and money helping to kill the proposed US-29 Charlottesville Bypass. There are spot upgrades planned for US-29, but a full interstate upgrade north of Danville? Not gonna happen.

Back in 2011, there was an attempt to extend the I-785 corridor to Altavista, but it didn't get anywhere and the idea was quickly dropped.

LIS > Bill Tracking > HB2481 > 2011 session

I do agree that an I-83 extension would've made sense.

Old 10-30-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Heck the Commonwealth wants nothing to do with I-73 in their state and that route is a lot shorter than upgrading US-29.
I honestly don't think I-73 will ever be built in VA. The VA General Assembly passed a bill (introduced by lone supporter Bill Stanley) back in February that would transfer funds from the US-58 corridor to I-73 after all of the US-58 improvements are complete, but they added a stipulation that the bill has to be voted on again next year. The bill isn't worth the paper it's printed on, IMO.

I-73 bill approved by General Assembly | News | martinsvillebulletin.com

VA simply isn't interested in new interstates. Northeastern NC recently discovered that with I-87. Charlie Kilpatrick, a native of Northern VA (Fairfax County) and who is apparently leading VA's "effort" with I-87, is the same guy who helped block a previous attempt at getting I-73 started.

Where should I-87 go? Locals: No reroute through Currituck - Daily Advance

Last edited by LM117; 10-30-2017 at 11:44 AM..

Old 10-30-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I honestly don't think I-73 will ever be built in VA. The VA General Assembly passed a bill (introduced by lone supporter Bill Stanley) back in February that would transfer funds from the US-58 corridor to I-73 after all of the US-58 improvements are complete, but they added a stipulation that the bill has to be voted on again next year. The bill isn't worth the paper it's printed on, IMO.
Wasn't I-73 in Virginia supposed to follow US-220 up to Roanoke then use I-581, then south on I-81 to where it was going to tie into the Virginia Tech smart road after they tunneled through the mountain?

Regardless, since it's probably never getting built, but doesn't it seem "out of the way" to go all the way up to Roanoke, then back down to almost Christiansburg for the I-73 alignment, just connect Martinsville with Blacksburg directly? I guess it does save money since you are overlaying it onto existing interstates!

Old 10-30-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Wasn't I-73 in Virginia supposed to follow US-220 up to Roanoke then use I-581, then south on I-81 to where it was going to tie into the Virginia Tech smart road after they tunneled through the mountain?
It will mostly use a new alignment that will parallel US-220 to the east north of Martinsville, but then it will tie in to US-220 shortly before approaching Roanoke. But you're right that the VT Smart Road and part of I-81 was supposed to become part of I-73. However, since WV, OH and MI have backed out of building I-73, I don't see I-73 going any further than Roanoke, if it even gets that far.

Quote:
Regardless, since it's probably never getting built, but doesn't it seem "out of the way" to go all the way up to Roanoke, then back down to almost Christiansburg for the I-73 alignment, just connect Martinsville with Blacksburg directly? I guess it does save money since you are overlaying it onto existing interstates!
Yeah, the alignment is messed up, but cheaper to use existing highways. I say designate the US-460 freeway between I-81 in Christiansburg and Blacksburg as an I-81 spur and be done with it.

Old 10-30-2017, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
It will mostly use a new alignment that will parallel US-220 to the east north of Martinsville, but then it will tie in to US-220 shortly before approaching Roanoke. But you're right that the VT Smart Road and part of I-81 was supposed to become part of I-73. However, since WV, OH and MI have backed out of building I-73, I don't see I-73 going any further than Roanoke, if it even gets that far.
I didn't realize how much new ROW/roadway they were planning on building, instead of upgrading US-220. From looking at the imagine, it probably would have been easier to just go west of Martinsville on US-220 and plow through the farms and over the hills/mountains and head northwest and directly into US-460 at I-81! Sure there aren't that many towns/cities/villages in that direction, but it's definitely a more direct route and probably just as much or even a little less of new alignment needed going that way.

Old 10-30-2017, 04:15 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,220,549 times
You would think Virginia would see the value in it considering it would help boost economic growth in its western cities like Roanoke. Yes I-81 runs on the edge of Roanoke but just think what it could do for the area opening it up to the midwest. Cities that prosper tend to have major interstates going through their cities. It does seem like North Carolina so far is the only state along the planned corridor that has highways designated as I-73. I think within 20 years we will see more progress within other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point