Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 02:05 PM

17 posts, read 15,574 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RotseCherut View Post
Hey GSOCitizen! Thanks so much for your response. Wow, I apologize for what I wrote about Greensboro and had no idea about how much it has improved over the years and how wrong people were. I really know little about Greensboro except what people told me about it and I know you are best to go and personally explore a place before making any type of final assessment on it. I was definitely planning on checking out Greensboro for myself when I make my trip over to the Southeast later this Summer.

SO, if you are a single 41 year old guy you think Greensboro would be better than Winston-Salem as far as ease of making friendships, dating and finding social activities that don't just revolve around family/children type of activities or going to church? I have nothing against churchgoers, but I am Jewish. If I was a Christian, I'd probably also spend a lot of time in church and do church activities. Being Jewish, unless you live in places like New York or CHicago there is no such vibrant type of religious community and I have no desire to live in those places, nor am I super religious either.

The picture of downtown Greensboro does look nice. I'm assuming its a little farther from outdoor recreation. The one advantage I can see about Greensboro is it is closer to Research Triangle Park and Triangle area, which could also give me some extra options for social life and entertainment. As well, being in software industry it is not bad to have a place like RTP nearby. Although, I am too disabled to work a software desk job in a big company anymore.

Would you say I could afford a decent place in a quiet and safe area in the $800 to $1100/mo price range in Greensboro like in Winston-Salem?
FYI, here's a list of Synagogues and other Jewish organizations in the Greensboro / Winston-Salem area .... https://jewishlife.wfu.edu/resources...h-communities/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2019, 06:32 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,832,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theuserofthisaccount View Post
FYI, here's a list of Synagogues and other Jewish organizations in the Greensboro / Winston-Salem area .... https://jewishlife.wfu.edu/resources...h-communities/
I appreciate the list, thank you.. Even though I am not so religious, I guess I'd probably hit up the Chabad in Greensboro, time to time, but could also just travel to Charlotte or Raleigh for services. I am shocked there is no Chabad or Orthodox synagogue in Winston-Salem, but I guess NC is not a state with a giant Jewish community. But, that is no big deal for me. As I said, I am not looking for a "Jewish Community" or else I probably just live in the typical Jewish hoods, NYC, Chicago, Philly, Miami, etc. Even Houston and Atlanta have huge Jewish communities now, but I don't think I could afford or even want to live in either of those cities either. I wasn't wealthy enough to attend synagogues in Seattle, as they wanted me to contribute at least $4000/year to attend those places. Big money cities are not very palatable to the struggling, working class Joe, like me.

Currently, I am looking into maybe going to Tampa Bay area, but I am thinking I may not be able to afford either moving or living in Tampa, as it is becoming fairly expensive. My reasons for Tampa are because I hear there is a lot of things to do for single 40 somethings and would be an "easier" place to have social life, dating, activities, etc.. The year round warm weather is much more palatable to me then 7 month on-and-off winter/constant grey drizzly/stormy weather we get in Colorado. As well, the ocean would be nice, although I prefer the rolling hills and beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Carolina to anywhere in Florida.

However, if I cannot afford to move to Tampa, I know the Triad would probably be my second pick. I believe the scenery, mountains, atmosphere of North Carolina would be much more to my liking than flat, swampy Florida. But, I guess I Fear being a single 40 something, non-Christian guy, that I will probably find myself kind of alone and not able to have much of a social or dating life being in a smaller urban area like Triad.

I keep hearing mixed things from people.. Somebody even sent me an anonymous rep saying I will be doomed basically if I move to Triad without being married at my age. A few people on another forum told me they have been pretty lonely moving to Triad and say its impossible to make friends or date being in your 30s or 40s. But, others have said the opposite and they have a very enjoyable life there. I respect though that people are sharing their genuine opinions, some who have been my age and lived as a single person in the Triad. Indeed, I guess I am confused as being a single guy, non-Christian, Caucasian, 40 something if living in Winston-Salem or Greensboro would be better for me. Considering Winston-Salem has more hills and is closer to the mountains I think that would be my choice, but Greensboro is only 30 minutes away, so it isn't like I cannot enjoy everything Greensboro has to offer living in Winston-Salem.

Also, if I find myself bored,alone with no friends or dating life (not sure if I could really get a date anymore these days anyway) living in Winston-Salem I could go to Charlotte for the weekends and such and enjoy some urbanity. Although, after living in Charlotte a few months I found it a bit more on the suburban for a city its size. However, I guess if I lived in Greensboro, I could go to Raleigh for weekends, if I am bored and having a hard time making friends/connections there as well. Although, people tell me Raleigh has kind of a family-centered/suburban atmosphere as well.

At this point, I guess I am worried about survival and trying to get back on my feet and overcome my disability (serious back injury from too many years of software work). I guess social life, dating, recreational activities will have to take a backseat to just living in a place that can be palatable (for the most part) and affordable. At least Winston-Salem is not too far from some beautiful hiking and I really loved the scenery of North Carolina. I am paying top dollar (like $1800/mo) to live in a crappy suburb, in a trashy condo complex (literally people dump garbage all over here), where everything closes by 9PM and nobody smiles or says hello to you. The city of Denver is mostly full of very liberal transplants who are always wanting to experience the next outdoor adventure until they either get bored with that life or end up broke and move away. Denver (the city) is very transient and hard to make friends. The suburbs are so sleepy, insular and sprawled. No social activities or life in the suburbs.

I'm hoping I can find an affordable place that can at least give me some type of enjoyment in life while I try to get back in my feet.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 06-18-2019 at 06:40 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 11:20 PM

This is very saddening and may be another reason why I may want to reconsider living in Greensboro. I've heard in the past that Greensboro police were knocking on people's doors and asking them to voluntarily give up their guns. It seems Greensboro is a very anti-gun city..

https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/ne...w/83-526624670

Somebody repped me and posted this link. I wish the person could have just responded so I know who they are .. I really do appreciate them (whoever they are) sharing this with me.

As of now, I am reconsidering Knoxville strongly as I can see Knoxville is cheaper and, of course, Knoxville is quite gun friendly I learned from spending a short time in the city. I've never seen a city with as many gun related billboards as in Knoxville. The fact Bud's Gun Shop just opened a second located there is another bonus

Would people say Winston-Salem is more conservative/less anti-gun than Greensboro?

It is sad, but maybe they should also consider cancelling car and motorcycle shows the next time people die in a car accident. Just recently 7 people died horribly when a truck hit a group of motorcycle riders on the freeway. I guess when a tragic event happens in relation to guns, these anti-gun liberal politicians feel disarming or stripping the rights 100,000,000 law-abiding gun owners is the only answer. Basically, implement Nazi era gun control laws to "control" the population.

I guess this is another reason I am fleeing Colorado. The state is trying to become more like California and the governor has vowed to now ban all semi auto guns in the state. The irony is he use to be pro-gun when he was in Colorado congress and even voted against measures of gun control, including Assault Weapon Bans. Sadly, when his voter bloc demanded he support gun control, magically he became vehemently against guns. I am hoping not to flee one anti-gun state and then end up losing my gun rights in the next place I live.

Old 06-26-2019, 04:21 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,866 times
Yes, move to Knoxville. Please.

Old 06-26-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Wow so hostile. Somebody sent me this message and i thought i just ask. Didnt expect the bigoted response.

Yeah ill look into knoxville, thanks for showing your true colors. Didnt take much to be hated by you didnt it? Passive aggressive are we? You probably dont want another jew in your town anyway. I guess the things i hear about people not being friendly in the Triad may be true as I see here.

Btw, any town that bans gun shows and denies people their 2nd Amendment rights sucks big time!

Definitely wont be posting on this Triad forum anymore.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 06-26-2019 at 11:26 AM..

Old 06-30-2019, 05:38 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I'm pretty sure Knoxville's current mayor wouldn't condone gun shows on city property and doubt that any of the leading mayoral candidates would either.

I am also flabbergasted that you draw the conclusion that someone who is anti gun is also anti Semitic.

I myself would welcome any Jew to my town except one with semi automatic weapons and a chip on their shoulder. You know when you first started posting I thought we'd get along but now I see you need a lot of help and though I feel sorry for you I would also be scared. I have friends who were traumatized by the Unitarian church shooting and that was just a hunting rifle.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I'm pretty sure Knoxville's current mayor wouldn't condone gun shows on city property and doubt that any of the leading mayoral candidates would either.

I am also flabbergasted that you draw the conclusion that someone who is anti gun is also anti Semitic.

I myself would welcome any Jew to my town except one with semi automatic weapons and a chip on their shoulder. You know when you first started posting I thought we'd get along but now I see you need a lot of help and though I feel sorry for you I would also be scared. I have friends who were traumatized by the Unitarian church shooting and that was just a hunting rifle.
Chip on my shoulder? How would you feel when someone is outright rude and yells at you not to move to their city for G-d knows what reason? Because I asked why Greensboro bans gun shows? Obviously, Edward Teach has much deeper reasons why he doesn't want me in his town. There is plenty of ANti-SEmitism all over the country and people are not going to outright be vocal about it, obviously.

Don't believe me? Well, just this March, a Jewish group filed a lawsuit against the Durham City Council for promoting Anti-Semitism. It is not too often that a large Jewish organization and local Rabbi will file a lawsuit against the mayor of a city and city council. Especially , a city the size of Durham. So, yes, it appears there are some issues with Anti-Semitism in this region. I do feel Jews would be more accepted in Charlotte than Triad and Triangle.

https://www.courthousenews.com/nc-ci...anti-semitism/

It appears a lot of the leaders in Jewish community in the Triangle are voicing serious concerns of rising Anti-Semitism in the area.
https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...s-in-triangle/

It also sounds like you have hostility to gun owners based on the actions of the few and rare events that the media loves to bolster to oblivion to promote their agenda. Every time there is a car accident do you get angry at people who drive cars or at bars or restaurants who serve alcohol that make people intoxicated? Are you angry at phone stores who sell phones that result in people getting distracted and killing innocent people because they are not paying attention to their driving? Many more people die from drunk and distracted driving than mass shootings, but I yet to hear of protests or calls to make texting and driving a felony. In fact, I think if you hit somebody and kill or seriously injure them while texting you should spend at least 5 years (preferably more) in a Federal prison.

Anyhow, I am not moving to Knoxville or Triad, but another destination and won't bother publishing it here, since I said I was not going to post here anymore.. I always respected your posts on the Knoxville forum so I thought I would respond to you. I suppose if the city votes to ban gun shows on city property then that is fine with them, as long as the property was in no way, shape or form funded by the state or federal taxes. Because , it should be the will of the people in the state if their hard earned tax money contributed at all to building such property. Of course, I feel government should keep its nose out of the 2nd Amendment. If they wanted to ban an event that had to do with race or religion, violating 1st Amendment, I just wonder if they would face any legal repercussions for that. I don't know if Knoville's city government is also anti-gun, but that would surprise me, based on the mentality I experienced in Knoxville.

Of course, after doing a little googling it appears Knoxville has a very large Expo Center and the very large gun show at Knoxville Expo Center there probably negates the need to use such a convention type center of the city. I doubt it has to do with the city government being against guns. Any town with as many gun billboards as Knoxville, I would say gun rights have a significant influence on its political structure.

http://www.knoxvilleexpocenter.com

Anyway, I am not looking to fight with you, but you are looking to fight with me, so I am bowing out of this. Yeah, I have experienced my share of ANti-Semitism on the forums. But, people seem to think ragging on Jews is good sport, whereas being anti-black, anti-gay, anti-Mexican is racism/xenophobia.

Please carry on. I have no ill feelings towards you CreekSitter and sorry you have such ill feelings towards me. I felt like the guy Edward Teach was not welcoming to me the moment I made my post and kind of feel it has nothing to do with guns. Notice how this forum just went silent after I made what was suppose to be my final post.. LOL

This will be my final post here just to respond to you who was always helpful to me on the Tennessee forums. I have no desire to ever live in the Triad area ever again. After talking to some people on Carolina Gun forums I am a member they told me I should avoid the Triad area as it has become extremely liberal (especially Greensboro), which probably would not work with my conservative values. I'm told a lot of it has to do with the halfbacks who bring their liberals values from the Northeast and try shoving it down people's throats everywhere they go. Although, I am sure there are homegrown liberals too. Very sad situation. I've definitely had a change of mind living there. So no worries..

Last edited by RotseCherut; 07-01-2019 at 10:15 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Chip on my shoulder? How would you feel when someone is outright rude and yells at you not to move to their city for G-d knows what reason? Because I asked why Greensboro bans gun shows? Obviously, Edward Teach has much deeper reasons why he doesn't want me in his town. There is plenty of ANti-SEmitism all over the country and people are not going to outright be vocal about it, obviously.

Don't believe me? Well, just this March, a Jewish group filed a lawsuit against the Durham City Council for promoting Anti-Semitism. It is not too often that a large Jewish organization and local Rabbi will file a lawsuit against the mayor of a city and city council. Especially , a city the size of Durham. So, yes, it appears there are some issues with Anti-Semitism in this region. I do feel Jews would be more accepted in Charlotte than Triad and Triangle.

https://www.courthousenews.com/nc-ci...anti-semitism/

It appears a lot of the leaders in Jewish community in the Triangle are voicing serious concerns of rising Anti-Semitism in the area.
https://www.cbs17.com/news/local-new...s-in-triangle/

It also sounds like you have hostility to gun owners based on the actions of the few and rare events that the media loves to bolster to oblivion to promote their agenda. Every time there is a car accident do you get angry at people who drive cars or at bars or restaurants who serve alcohol that make people intoxicated? Are you angry at phone stores who sell phones that result in people getting distracted and killing innocent people because they are not paying attention to their driving? Many more people die from drunk and distracted driving than mass shootings, but I yet to hear of protests or calls to make texting and driving a felony. In fact, I think if you hit somebody and kill or seriously injure them while texting you should spend at least 5 years (preferably more) in a Federal prison.

Anyhow, I am not moving to Knoxville or Triad, but another destination and won't bother publishing it here, since I said I was not going to post here anymore.. I always respected your posts on the Knoxville forum so I thought I would respond to you. I suppose if the city votes to ban gun shows on city property then that is fine with them, as long as the property was in no way, shape or form funded by the state or federal taxes. Because , it should be the will of the people in the state if their hard earned tax money contributed at all to building such property. Of course, I feel government should keep its nose out of the 2nd Amendment. If they wanted to ban an event that had to do with race or religion, violating 1st Amendment, I just wonder if they would face any legal repercussions for that. I don't know if Knoville's city government is also anti-gun, but that would surprise me, based on the mentality I experienced in Knoxville.

Of course, after doing a little googling it appears Knoxville has a very large Expo Center and the very large gun show at Knoxville Expo Center there probably negates the need to use such a convention type center of the city. I doubt it has to do with the city government being against guns. Any town with as many gun billboards as Knoxville, I would say gun rights have a significant influence on its political structure.

Knoxville Expo Center - Trade Show and Special Event Convention Center in Knoxville, TN

Anyway, I am not looking to fight with you, but you are looking to fight with me, so I am bowing out of this. Yeah, I have experienced my share of ANti-Semitism on the forums. But, people seem to think ragging on Jews is good sport, whereas being anti-black, anti-gay, anti-Mexican is racism/xenophobia.

Please carry on. I have no ill feelings towards you CreekSitter and sorry you have such ill feelings towards me. I felt like the guy Edward Teach was not welcoming to me the moment I made my post and kind of feel it has nothing to do with guns. Notice how this forum just went silent after I made what was suppose to be my final post.. LOL

This will be my final post here just to respond to you who was always helpful to me on the Tennessee forums. I have no desire to ever live in the Triad area ever again. After talking to some people on Carolina Gun forums I am a member they told me I should avoid the Triad area as it has become extremely liberal (especially Greensboro), which probably would not work with my conservative values. I'm told a lot of it has to do with the halfbacks who bring their liberals values from the Northeast and try shoving it down people's throats everywhere they go. Although, I am sure there are homegrown liberals too. Very sad situation. I've definitely had a change of mind living there. So no worries..
Please stop. You're drawing very incorrect and self-serving conclusions from my remarks, and you are attacking me unfairly. No one, including myself, ever "yelled" at you, and I am absolutely NOT anti-semitic. I have Jewish heritage in my family, a fact of which I am very proud. I am outraged that you could make such statements about me. You do not know me at all. And I provided you with a great deal of very good information.

Creeksitter is absolutely correct that you have a chip on your shoulder, and I am certain this is the cause of your unhappiness in regard to places you have lived. Quit looking for hate and you will find love.

Old 07-02-2019, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post

NExt time you tell somebody you don't want them in your town, maybe you should explain the reasoning why so they don't jump to conclusions. It's hard to understand a person's intention behind a computer screen and on a web forum that is just a stream of text. Ok, I can see you don't want me to move there because I am conservative and supportive of gun rights. I think that is a bit extreme of you, but some people have extreme opinions of issues that puzzle me. That does make me feel better that being the reason to be honest..

I don't have a chip on my shoulder.. You are free to disagree with me and challenge any of my opinions, statements and beliefs. It is just rude and hostile to tell someone blatantly DONT MOVE HERE without being a bit civil and explaining your reasoning. I figured it was you who had the Chip on the Shoulder with such a response.

No hard feelings.. I am not moving to the Triad.. And, considering the amount of Anti-Semitic slurs I get, including on City Data forum, yeah I could jump to conclusions at times and sorry about that.

I have been reading that there is quite a bit of Anti-Semitism in the Triangle area, so I was really having second thoughts of living in that area and a bit apprehensive about it. I was assuming Triad being so close by would suffer some similar issues. It could be the activities on campus from extremist groups could contribute to the dilemma arising in the Triangle area though.

And, then again, it is events like the shooting at Pittsburgh synagogue that makes me cherish such rights of self-defense and the 2nd Amendment. I apologize if that is offensive that I cherish such rights, and perhaps, that I am a bit outspoken on 2nd Amendment related issues. Many Jews are moving out of New York City because they are fearful of rising Anti-Semitism there, more hate crime attacks against their communities and the fact they are not allowed to be armed or protect their families and synagogues.

Anyway, I am not here to argue and don't hate you or really have any animosity to you. So, again no hard feelings. I am sorry you don't want to welcome me to your city, but I accept not everyone can be welcomed.

Have a nice day.

Last edited by RotseCherut; 07-02-2019 at 06:26 PM..

Old 07-02-2019, 06:51 PM

Quote:
NExt time you tell somebody you don't want them in your town, maybe you should explain the reasoning why so they don't jump to conclusions. It's hard to understand a person's intention behind a computer screen and on a web forum that is just a stream of text. Ok, I can see you don't want me to move there because I am conservative and supportive of gun rights. I think that is a bit extreme of you, but some people have extreme opinions of issues that puzzle me. That does make me feel better that being the reason to be honest..

I don't have a chip on my shoulder.. You are free to disagree with me and challenge any of my opinions, statements and beliefs. It is just rude and hostile to tell someone blatantly DONT MOVE HERE without being a bit civil and explaining your reasoning. I figured it was you who had the Chip on the Shoulder with such a response.

No hard feelings.. I am not moving to the Triad.. And, considering the amount of Anti-Semitic slurs I get, including on City Data forum, yeah I could jump to conclusions at times and sorry about that.

I have been reading that there is quite a bit of Anti-Semitism in the Triangle area, so I was really having second thoughts of living in that area and a bit apprehensive about it. I was assuming Triad being so close by would suffer some similar issues. It could be the activities on campus from extremist groups could contribute to the dilemma arising in the Triangle area though.

And, then again, it is events like the shooting at Pittsburgh synagogue that makes me cherish such rights of self-defense and the 2nd Amendment. I apologize if that is offensive that I cherish such rights, and perhaps, that I am a bit outspoken on 2nd Amendment related issues. Many Jews are moving out of New York City because they are fearful of rising Anti-Semitism there, more hate crime attacks against their communities and the fact they are not allowed to be armed or protect their families and synagogues.

Anyway, I am not here to argue and don't hate you or really have any animosity to you. So, again no hard feelings. I am sorry you don't want to welcome me to your city, but I accept not everyone can be welcomed.

Have a nice day.
I don't currently live in G'boro or Winston, although I used to live in both, so its not possible that "I don't want you in my town". Thats another example of your extreme sensitivity. You absolutely DO have a chip on your shoulder, and you are too overly emotional.

And for gods sake stop with the anti-semitic crap. I guess you're just a troll, as I haven't seen a single statement on here that any normal person could even remotely construe as anti-semitic. No one cares about, nor has said anything about your religious beliefs or heritage except YOU! Just stop.

My reaction to events like the Pittsburgh synagogue shooting is that this country needs more gun control, not more guns. And frankly, I just can't understand how any sane, intelligent person can think otherwise. Thats part of the reason i had such a visceral reaction to your unhinged, borderline nutjob posting about gun control in G'boro. I'm so damn sick of people being massacred in this country and the only reactions are either more prayers (useless) or more guns (dangerous).

Anyway, please move wherever you want, I don't care and never have. All I have ever done is try to help you. And I wish I never had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point