Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2019, 04:05 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times

Advertisements

Very well said nita0123, concering Winston and Greensboro, The biggest and key difference comes down to Diversity and amentities.

Greensboro is an interesting city. It's in the south, but does not seem like it.

It's one of the most diverse midsized cities in the country between a population of 250.000 and 310.000. Offering a large quantity of international shopping super markets, foreign trade buisnesses, legitimate japanese and korean buisnesess where they actually speak their own language, sell their own newspapers and merchandice, and it's not "americanized" they will genuinely have you believe that you stepped out of North Carolina.

I experienced culture shock at the Fanta city international mall, that place is a treasure trove of cool and odd exotic services and items, infact, market street is pretty much a small slice of asia.

Greensboros Diversity was a big plus in luring Hondajets facility.

Greensboro resident and CEO of honda jet; Michimasa fujino, explained it precisely,
Quote:
"being a japanese owned buisness ran by a japanese buisness man, we never once felt out of place here,from day one, we were welcomed with open arms. this is truly a world class buisness climate, it's warm and open, we feel comfortable in Greensboro and North Carolina, And look forward to the future here at honda jet.
Same with four seasons mall and Round One, a large scale Traditional japanese arcade, where they play Jpop instead of american pop, where you'll play authentic arcade machines straight from japan with no translation, even use pikura(ぴくら) photo booths, that has audio instructions all in japanese, it's the experience and authenticity, Greensboro acording to the ceo of round one was the perfect space due to it's demographic.(this is very important for foriegn buisneses)

I'm a black guy from Lexington nc in my late 20's, in my eyes when i moved to winston, it was more of the same of that close minded americana feel, just alot bigger, but when i moved to Greensboro, i was shocked on just how diverse it was, it's like a day and night difference.

Which is why im puzzled when someone says Greensboro and Winston are the same, they really don't and it's a rather large difference as it completely alters their respective climates.

In winston, harristeeter, food lion, walmart.. lowes foods were the norm, sure there were small asian stores, but greensboro is an entirely different experience with large stores like Super G mart, Lings global mart, Market korea, japan->GOGO, hindu market and so many more stores and markets. With a new even bigger japanese store being planned for gate city boulevard..

There is just so much here that you simply won't find in Winston, and that is where these two cities part ways.

I am a huge car enthusias so another thing that's vastly different.. is dealerships, when i lived in Winston, i remember being impressed by crown BMW and Mercedes of winston.. being from lexington where we only had cadilac, ford, dodge,cheverlorlet and pontiac, even honda of winston blew me away.. i would see mercedes driving on the road..i was so impressed, it felt like i was in the big city...

But then when i came to greensboro...i was blown away. By things i only seen in games, magazines and tvs..but they were all available here.

Where i could drive down battleground and it was now "normal" for a ferrari to nonchalantly pass by me, or a rollsroyce to signal infront of me, a lamborghini at a gas station..Bentleys everywhere and where i just didn't see this in winston..at all. However i did see some older 90s and earlly 2000's bentleys in the richer areas.

However, regarding cultural experince and amentites,Greensboro...is vastly superior to winston.. it's up there with Charlotte and possibly atlanta in that regard, which is insane for a city of just under 300.000 people. And that's some seriously high praise.

Last edited by YinXyang; 07-06-2019 at 04:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2019, 09:37 PM

52 posts, read 69,935 times
This is getting outta control...wow.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WINsalem View Post
this is pretty normal for city data lol. Also, you have my old username from WSTB lol.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:29 AM

322 posts, read 666,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WINsalem View Post
That’s an understatement. No doubt the boi’s and the citizens of the forums who have nothing more to do than post redundant garbage day and night, would do society a real service by, say, picking up some roadside litter.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:13 AM

52 posts, read 69,935 times
I honestly feel that a couple of the Greensboro fans don't know what makes a city great.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:28 AM

322 posts, read 666,836 times
It’s okay. It is certainly not based on the number of exotic auto dealerships, food markets, or flyover freeway ramps.

Old 07-07-2019, 07:55 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,644,354 times
So much of this is just so much uninformed, ignorant drivel. G'boro and W-S are very similar cities. The differences are slight, and exist at the margins. And what is so personally frustrating for me is way a couple of posters want to take those slight differences and make it out as if G'boro is somehow so much better and superior to W-S. Such crap! They are both great places and one is not better than the other. The best thing is, they are so close that residents of one of them get to enjoy the other. W-S residents can easily ride over and visit Fantacity. G'boro folks can spend a day at Old Salem. Win win!

As far as G'boro being more "international", lets look at some actual demographic facts:

White population AA population Hispanic population Asian population

G'boro 43% 42% 7% 4%
W-S 46% 32% 15% 2%

Wow, huge differences there, huh?

G'boro has 10.4% of the population born outside the US, W-S has 9.7% Again, almost no difference. The top 3 countries represented among that group, Mexico, India and Honduras, in that order, for both.

I was in downtown W-S last night in the Arts District (which is awesome by the way) and there was a local band performing as part of the Summer Music Series. The crowd was amazing. Black, white, brown, mixed, young, old all getting along great. People dancing, talking, smiling. Mixed race couples, etc. W-S (and G'boro) have no more racial issues than any other place in this country, and one isn't better than the other.

Its past time to quit negatively comparing these fine cities against each other, and start celebrating the positives of both. Its not a competition or zero sum game. One isn't better than the other, just slightly different. Both are fine cities.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:10 AM

First off, Jesus christ, i wrote Superior instead of different, now i can see why my above post comes off as snobby, prententious and stuck up, so that was my bad.

However, i won't retract my statements at what makes these two cities different.

Diversity is also what makes a city great. It makes people feel more comfortable in the area, greater diversity also caters to that notion of a greater comradery for the growing populace for foreigners.

Case in point, Fanta City international mall pushes for foreigners and refugees to open up stores and buisnesses, and at the time of this post there are currently over 70 foreign buisnesses in that complex, it's helping to aid foreigners who might struggle else where and give them a strong foundation, along with foreign and refugee housing agencies and job placement agencies, it goes far beyond "food markets". Again, Greater Diversity, is great for the city and state.

As for exotic auto dealerships, i'm a car enthusiast to the core, so i have zero shame in briging that up, does it make a city great? No, not necessarily but it does bring a bigger and bolder more upscale feel to the area that differs from other places.

As for flyover ramps, i literaly have comment for that.

Old 07-07-2019, 12:59 PM

241 posts, read 338,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
First off, Jesus christ, i wrote Superior instead of different, now i can see why my above post comes off as snobby, prententious and stuck up, so that was my bad.

However, i won't retract my statements at what makes these two cities different.

Diversity is also what makes a city great. It makes people feel more comfortable in the area, greater diversity also caters to that notion of a greater comradery for the growing populace for foreigners.

Case in point, Fanta City international mall pushes for foreigners and refugees to open up stores and buisnesses, and at the time of this post there are currently over 70 foreign buisnesses in that complex, it's helping to aid foreigners who might struggle else where and give them a strong foundation, along with foreign and refugee housing agencies and job placement agencies, it goes far beyond "food markets". Again, Greater Diversity, is great for the city and state.

As for exotic auto dealerships, i'm a car enthusiast to the core, so i have zero shame in briging that up, does it make a city great? No, not necessarily but it does bring a bigger and bolder more upscale feel to the area that differs from other places.

As for flyover ramps, i literaly have comment for that.
That's it specifically in a nutshell. Although, the racial demographics in each city are similar, business ownership for international and the native Black communities doesn't seem to be represented in Winston like it is in Greensboro. Both cities have similar histories, but that's the biggest point of divergence in my opinion. I recently discovered that Greensboro didn't vote for secession prior to the Civil War initially and was pro Union. Winston is historically Moravian where as Greensboro's early settlers included Jewish and Quaker people. I'd venture to say that all of those groups have left their marks on each city for better or worse.

As far as folks being upset about my opinion of my hometown and its neighboring city, I don't know what to tell you. Greensboro certainly has flaws and has had racism issues like many Southern cities. However, my preference for seeing inclusive diversity and expansive retail options gives Greensboro an edge to me. Winston has come a long way, but has a way to go in that regard to me. I look forward to see what the future holds for both cities.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:06 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,164,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
That’s an understatement. No doubt the boi’s and the citizens of the forums who have nothing more to do than post redundant garbage day and night, would do society a real service by, say, picking up some roadside litter.
Both of these two have also said before in these threads that the competition between GSO and WS needs to stop in order for the Triad as a whole to progress forward, but yet they are the ones mostly making these silly comparisons and taking incendiary digs at WS.

As I stated previously in another forum, you just might as well accept the fact that you can't fix stupid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point