Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2019, 04:25 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times

Advertisements

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wso...jobs/974800253

I think the Randolph-Greensboro megasite has an excelent chance in landing this. "Sort of"

Toyota-mazda shown down a massive spotlight on the area, and were extremely close to choosing the megasite, no doubt that put automatove manufactures with future plans of a new facility on notice, i'm sure alot were paying attention aswell.

That area is ripe for development, And North Carolina has shown they can more than afford to lure in big automanufactures when it comes to incentives and other various perks.

My main concern is the lack of propper support, such as a steel mill and other supporting resources. But i give a big plus for the outstanding Infastructure. That was a factor in publix maybe it can also be a deciding factor for Mahindra.

Your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2019, 04:27 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
I think there's at least an 80% chance this plant goes to Michigan.

The headline in the Triad Buisness Journal says: "Mahindra Automotive considering NC sites, but new plant likely 'is Michigan's to lose'"

They already have US headquarters and a plant in MI, and there is an ample supply of skilled labor, suppliers, etc. in MI. Plus there is an existing building they can move right into.

Old 08-12-2019, 04:50 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
I guess this would be a plant to build their new USPS delivery vehicle, should they be awarded the contract?

Old 08-12-2019, 05:17 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,641,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodyfromnc View Post
I guess this would be a plant to build their new USPS delivery vehicle, should they be awarded the contract?
Yes. No. Maybe. Who knows:

"However, the building of a plant comes with a big caveat: Mahindra is counting on winning a $6 billion contract to build the USPS “Next Generation Delivery Vehicle.” But the spokesperson said winning the USPS contract is not necessary for the building of a new plant."

Clear as mud.

https://www.wraltechwire.com/2019/08...ant-2000-jobs/

Old 08-12-2019, 07:24 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,958,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
I think there's at least an 80% chance this plant goes to Michigan.

The headline in the Triad Buisness Journal says: "Mahindra Automotive considering NC sites, but new plant likely 'is Michigan's to lose'"

They already have US headquarters and a plant in MI, and there is an ample supply of skilled labor, suppliers, etc. in MI. Plus there is an existing building they can move right into.
i was wondering what they meant by that title, that actualy makes alot of sense.

Old 08-12-2019, 08:56 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
After reading about this, the chances are slimmer for North Carolina landing this and to be honest I would prefer a more well known automaker such a Toyota, Ford or Honda. I'm not going to lie. I've never heard of Mahindra.

Old 08-13-2019, 07:44 AM

7,330 posts, read 15,380,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
After reading about this, the chances are slimmer for North Carolina landing this and to be honest I would prefer a more well known automaker such a Toyota, Ford or Honda. I'm not going to lie. I've never heard of Mahindra.
It's a fair statement. Mahindra is the #3 or #4 brand in India and their sales in the US are negligible. They mainly sell tractors in the US (they're India's #1 tractor manufacturer) and I believe the first passenger vehicle they launched in North America is the ROXOR, which is a knock-off of an early-model Jeep. (That's not a knock. Mahindra had the contract to produce Jeeps in India after WWII, so their vehicles don't just resemble old CJs. They're straight-up copies.)

Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 AM

13,705 posts, read 12,413,557 times
Quote:
They're a $20 Billion company. They don't sell cars in the US Market, but they do make heavy equipment/trucks/commercial vehicles/tractors.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:10 AM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
This is the Triad's only mega site and I'd like to see "a big fish" don't know if I'd want this site to be wasted on a mediocre operation. Not trying to knock the company but I think we can do better for this site. I would prefer a major car manufacturer opening up an electric car assembly plant there. There are a lot of car assembly plants in the southeast but I don't think there are any electric car assembly plants in the southeast.

Old 08-13-2019, 10:39 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,586 times
Quote:
This is the Triad's only mega site and I'd like to see "a big fish" don't know if I'd want this site to be wasted on a mediocre operation. Not trying to knock the company but I think we can do better for this site. I would prefer a major car manufacturer opening up an electric car assembly plant there. There are a lot of car assembly plants in the southeast but I don't think there are any electric car assembly plants in the southeast.
They're not a two-bit operation. They're just ramping up American production. This would be a huge win. But it's not likely in the cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point