Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2021, 03:47 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,177,834 times

Advertisements

I'm sorry, but when you read a city's newspaper and on a daily basis you continually see headlines that read like the following:

Man struck by stray bullet while dining at Sedgefield Country Club, Guilford sheriff's office says

You get a sense that a city overall is not very safe, or at least is not under control by law enforcement. Nor does it have the sort of residents that a higher income person wants to live amongst. It's the perception of outsiders that matter most in terms of relocations, despite what homers may say or the rankings may reflect.

This happened in one of the most prestigious areas of Greensboro, btw.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 06-09-2021 at 03:57 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2021, 04:21 PM

860 posts, read 433,308 times
Greensboro has a serious problem with murder and violent crime. It's simply a fact, substantiated by empirical data. It's dangerous even by Southern standards. Just Google "is Greensboro, NC dangerous" and think about the results for a minute.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:21 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,972,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
Greensboro has a serious problem with murder and violent crime. It's simply a fact, substantiated by empirical data. It's dangerous even by Southern standards. Just Google "is Greensboro, NC dangerous" and think about the results for a minute.
Actually, Greensboro’s been pretty decent when it comes to violent crime so far this year, if anything, for 2021 Winston has been having drivebys and deadly shootings almost everyday/week.

Not sure what’s going on in east Winston, but it’s extremely active out there this year.

Old 06-09-2021, 07:32 PM

860 posts, read 433,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Actually, Greensboro’s been pretty decent when it comes to violent crime so far this year, if anything, for 2021 Winston has been having drivebys and deadly shootings almost everyday/week.

Not sure what’s going on in east Winston, but it’s extremely active out there this year.
So far this year, Winston's recorded 12 murders and Greensboro 19. Durham, 15. "Pretty decent", you're serious?

Old 06-09-2021, 08:20 PM

1,464 posts, read 1,177,834 times
Quote:
So far this year, Winston's recorded 12 murders and Greensboro 19. Durham, 15. "Pretty decent", you're serious?
If all else fails in trying to prop Greensboro up, why not change the subject and point out issues in Winston-Salem. This crowd can't resist.

Old 06-09-2021, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Well damn, never mind, I was going by news articles I had seen, but anyway, going by these numbers, it seems the majority of midsize cities are doing pretty terrible equally, also UNC do not start that, I lived in Winston for longer than I have lived here in Greensboro, so I’m acquainted with both.

Still, these are terrible numbers, for everyone, NC has to do better.

Old 06-09-2021, 09:47 PM

322 posts, read 669,054 times
Pretty decent sounds pretty tone deaf.

Old 06-10-2021, 01:26 AM

Yeah yeah, you all got your point across, okay, I made a mistake, don’t beat a dead horse.

At the end of the day, NC desperately needs to crack down on violent crime.(and that goes for all cities). There’s absolutely no excuse for murders happening so frequently and in such great numbers after only 6 months, regardless of which city it partakes in. In my honest opinion, theirs quite a large underlying problem that surrounds our states department of safety, if these types of crime persist at such a consistent rate. Possibly an overall lack of police presence in our cities most violent and vulnerable areas.

Or possibly a lack of funding for the department of safety as a whole.

Old 06-10-2021, 08:57 AM

80 posts, read 70,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
Yeah yeah, you all got your point across, okay, I made a mistake, don’t beat a dead horse.

At the end of the day, NC desperately needs to crack down on violent crime.(and that goes for all cities). There’s absolutely no excuse for murders happening so frequently and in such great numbers after only 6 months, regardless of which city it partakes in. In my honest opinion, theirs quite a large underlying problem that surrounds our states department of safety, if these types of crime persist at such a consistent rate. Possibly an overall lack of police presence in our cities most violent and vulnerable areas.

Or possibly a lack of funding for the department of safety as a whole.
I don’t begrudge people making a mistake but the knee jerk reaction from GSO homers on this board to immediately try to disparage other communities in comparison to their city is constant whether the comparison is valid or not (many times it is not). Winston gets the lion share of the ridiculous commentary I suppose because it’s closest and most similar to GSO. Just ask yourself anytime you are getting ready to make a negative comment about another city if it’s necessary or not and hopefully that will cut down on the ridiculous assertions.

Old 06-10-2021, 09:21 AM

513 posts, read 515,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-V-R View Post
I don’t begrudge people making a mistake but the knee jerk reaction from GSO homers on this board to immediately try to disparage other communities in comparison to their city is constant whether the comparison is valid or not (many times it is not). Winston gets the lion share of the ridiculous commentary I suppose because it’s closest and most similar to GSO. Just ask yourself anytime you are getting ready to make a negative comment about another city if it’s necessary or not and hopefully that will cut down on the ridiculous assertions.
Good advice for everyone TBH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point