Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 09:34 PM

405 posts, read 319,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
This is it in a nutshell. Greensboro's "cheaper" for a reason.
Dude, why do you spew so much hatred towards Greensboro ? Why do you care so much ? In psychology, this is known as the “insecure man hating himself so much that he takes it out on Greensboro syndrome”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2021, 05:42 AM

857 posts, read 426,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
Dude, why do you spew so much hatred towards Greensboro ? Why do you care so much ? In psychology, this is known as the “insecure man hating himself so much that he takes it out on Greensboro syndrome”.
Or alternatively, "the kind and secure man helping to guide the wayward". Dude.

Old 04-08-2021, 08:51 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,967,169 times
I keep up with all the violent crime and blight in Other cities...and everyone sweeps it under the rug like it does not exist...but when it comes to Greensboro.

I guess we’re the next Detroit, going by what others say.

Old 04-08-2021, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
I keep up with all the violent crime and blight in Other cities...and everyone sweeps it under the rug like it does not exist...but when it comes to Greensboro.

I guess we’re the next Detroit, going by what others say.
I pay taxes in both Greensboro and Boston, so these are the two that I tend to compare. Greensboro recorded 62 murders last year in a city of under 300,000. Boston, more than twice the size at 693,000, recorded 57. Hard to sweep this level of shooting and killing under a rug. And you folks would rather talk about me than pull your heads out of the sand?

Old 04-11-2021, 09:34 AM

166 posts, read 135,182 times
Crime is up everywhere because the pandemic and its economic effects are everywhere. Crime will likely go down with the economy improving.

Old 04-11-2021, 09:54 AM

12,196 posts, read 8,095,419 times
Also, TunedIn.. you are from Boston so you should know a lot about how bad it is to use city propers!

Greensboro's city limits include the entirety of the impoverished areas around the city. Much similar to how Boston's city limits contain 55% of all the murders in the 4.8 million Metropolitan area where it skews the data against 600,000 Boston.

So that SAME feat can be translated to greensboro. Im looking at a murder map, and excluding High Point because thats its own thing going on over there... Greensboro's city limits include pretty much most of all the murders in Guilford County.

Wouldn't you say that is unfair to base city limit data on Greensboro? It works against the city

Old 04-11-2021, 10:00 AM

241 posts, read 239,931 times
Quote:
I pay taxes in both Greensboro and Boston, so these are the two that I tend to compare. Greensboro recorded 62 murders last year in a city of under 300,000. Boston, more than twice the size at 693,000, recorded 57. Hard to sweep this level of shooting and killing under a rug. And you folks would rather talk about me than pull your heads out of the sand?

There are cities bigger than Boston that have less murders than Boston and cities smaller than Greensboro with more murders. You can make arbitrary comparisons all day which you don't seem to get tired of doing. I worked with a guy who complained about his job regularly. Finally, I just asked him "why don't you change jobs/careers? It seems like you would be happier." Every city isn't for everybody. Greensboro doesn't seem to fit your needs, so are you doing anything to change it?

Old 04-11-2021, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Also, TunedIn.. you are from Boston so you should know a lot about how bad it is to use city propers!

Greensboro's city limits include the entirety of the impoverished areas around the city. Much similar to how Boston's city limits contain 55% of all the murders in the 4.8 million Metropolitan area where it skews the data against 600,000 Boston.

So that SAME feat can be translated to greensboro. Im looking at a murder map, and excluding High Point because thats its own thing going on over there... Greensboro's city limits include pretty much most of all the murders in Guilford County.

Wouldn't you say that is unfair to base city limit data on Greensboro? It works against the city
This is flawed logic. Boston doesn't include all of it's safer suburbs in the crime numbers and Greensboro doesn't get to include the safer areas of Guilford County. It's apples to apples. City to city. Do you really think the comparison would be any less valid if we were to compare Metro to Metro?

Old 04-11-2021, 01:02 PM

12,196 posts, read 8,095,419 times
Quote:
This is flawed logic. Boston doesn't include all of it's safer suburbs in the crime numbers and Greensboro doesn't get to include the safer areas of Guilford County. It's apples to apples. City to city. Do you really think the comparison would be any less valid if we were to compare Metro to Metro?
TunedIn, Boston proper includes 60% of the murders in the entirity of the Metropolitan area lol. Its arbitruary to use city limits to define how safe an area is. Tune in (no pun intended) to the city vs city forum for why city limits are a terrible terrible way to measure anything.

Also.. what dangerous suburbs are you on about? Chelsea, Revere, Everett, Lynn, and Somerville/Camrbidge had a total of 4 murders together in 2019 (Population, ~450k). Brockton, Randolph, Quincy and Weymouth together had 3 (population of 380k there). Worcester had 0 murders in 2019. Lawrence had 5. Lowell had 2. Boston's Dorchester neighborhood had 27 murders with a population of 150k people. In 2020, Dorchester had 34/56sh murders in Boston.

So yes, city limits to measure safety is a horrible metric. Just because Gboro city proper had 60 murders, doesn't mean the whole metropolitan area is unsafe. If Boston only was Dorchester, it would have a murder rate of 25 per 100,000. If we excluded Dorchester, it's murder rate would be 3 per 100,000.

I don't knock Gboro over that at all. Wayyy more behind the scenes.

Old 04-11-2021, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
There are cities bigger than Boston that have less murders than Boston and cities smaller than Greensboro with more murders. You can make arbitrary comparisons all day which you don't seem to get tired of doing. I worked with a guy who complained about his job regularly. Finally, I just asked him "why don't you change jobs/careers? It seems like you would be happier." Every city isn't for everybody. Greensboro doesn't seem to fit your needs, so are you doing anything to change it?
The numbers are from crime data sources which list the murder rates for all cities over 250,000 residents. Greensboro not only fares poorly against Boston, but against the vast majority of similarly sized cities. Its murder rates are egregiously high. Period. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge the problem? And I don't think it CAN be changed as shooting and killing seems to be deeply ingrained in your culture. When my daughter finishes school, I'll pull up stakes and move. Or sooner if the mood strikes. Since this is primarily a relocation forum, it's important for others contemplating a move to get pertinent information from those already here. And it's painfully obvious that the homers are far to entrenched in denial to mention the crime rate to potential relocators. If you don't like my opinions, why not just stop reading them?

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-11-2021 at 01:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point