Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2021, 05:47 PM

857 posts, read 425,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Observer View Post
I always thought that Greensboro had a reputation for being safe and clean. Most cities have seen a spike in crime during the covid-19 pandemic but these stats are eye-opening. Durham and Charlotte have both struggled with crime over the years, so I was surprised to see Greensboro rank the highest in the state. Hopefully, things will improve in 2021 as covid-19 is brought under control.
"Safe and clean"? Compared to where pray tell? Have you not noticed the rubbish strewn by the side of virtually every road? The abandoned houses with mounds of personal garbage heaped in the yards? Beggars at every major intersection? I can't go for a run without tripping over the homeless nor can I get out of my car without some kinda Zombie staggering toward me. How could you people have possibly run a place so far into the ground? Simply amazing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2021, 09:17 PM

241 posts, read 239,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
"Safe and clean"? Compared to where pray tell? Have you not noticed the rubbish strewn by the side of virtually every road? The abandoned houses with mounds of personal garbage heaped in the yards? Beggars at every major intersection? I can't go for a run without tripping over the homeless nor can I get out of my car without some kinda Zombie staggering toward me. How could you people have possibly run a place so far into the ground? Simply amazing.

I'm wondering where you live? This hasn't been my experience in the city at all and your replies read like hyperbole.

Old 03-15-2021, 09:35 PM

1,212 posts, read 1,065,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I'm wondering where you live? This hasn't been my experience in the city at all and your replies read like hyperbole.
I'm pretty sure he's just trolling.

Old 03-16-2021, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I'm pretty sure he's just trolling.
And I'm absolutely sure that you're a homer. I'm in Greensboro and I've been here for about a year. I live in an area of relative safety and prosperity, at least by local standards. I'm a serious runner/cyclist and there's not much of the city that I haven't experienced first hand. The evaluations offered are my own and with some obvious exaggeration. Lots of beggars though, lots of homeless and far too many staggering Zombies. Lots of vacant lots and shuttered buildings. It's not possible though to exaggerate the trash strewn on the roadside. Where's the pride? The class? Overall, this is a grim and desperate city devoid of any discernable charm. This is primarily a relocation forum and I'm free to offer my honest opinions. And you're free to dispute them.

Last edited by TunedIn; 03-16-2021 at 05:55 AM..

Old 03-16-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
And I'm absolutely sure that you're a homer. I'm in Greensboro and I've been here for about a year. I live in an area of relative safety and prosperity, at least by local standards. I'm a serious runner/cyclist and there's not much of the city that I haven't experienced first hand. The evaluations offered are my own and with some obvious exaggeration. Lots of beggars though, lots of homeless and far too many staggering Zombies. Lots of vacant lots and shuttered buildings. It's not possible though to exaggerate the trash strewn on the roadside. Where's the pride? The class? Overall, this is a grim and desperate city devoid of any discernable charm. This is primarily a relocation forum and I'm free to offer my honest opinions. And you're free to dispute them.
LOL!

Not a homer at all and I'm quite realistic about Greensboro. It has some opportunities to improve for sure. There are a lot of beggars out and about. But I don't notice more vacant lots, trash, etc than I have in any other area I've lived (I'm not a native).

I would agree that some of the blighted areas are VERY blighted. But there are plenty of very nice places too.

And your exaggerations kill your credibility. But if you hate Greensboro so much and don't wish to be part of the solution, you might try a different area.

Old 03-16-2021, 10:35 AM

Quote:
LOL!

Not a homer at all and I'm quite realistic about Greensboro. It has some opportunities to improve for sure. There are a lot of beggars out and about. But I don't notice more vacant lots, trash, etc than I have in any other area I've lived (I'm not a native).

I would agree that some of the blighted areas are VERY blighted. But there are plenty of very nice places too.

And your exaggerations kill your credibility. But if you hate Greensboro so much and don't wish to be part of the solution, you might try a different area.
Hard to imagine where you've lived. It's 2021 AD and If you people haven't a clue toward any "solutions" yet, then there's not much help that I can offer. And please understand that I'm being as generous as I possibly can in my appraisal. The brutal truth would be overkill in conveying the general condition of the city to prospective relocators. And I actually HAVE leaped over the homeless while running the Downtown Greenway. I haven't been on it yet when vagrants and beggars didn't outnumber other users. 20 years and you've got 3 out of 4 miles completed. But forgot about drainage. And what's with the broken down cars, missing wheels with rags closed up in the windows? it's like one of those Mad Max movies. This place is panic attack scary. Scarier still is that it seems perfectly normal to any of you. About those "opportunities to improve"? Now would be an excellent time.

Old 03-16-2021, 11:26 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,170,798 times
Quote:
Hard to imagine where you've lived. It's 2021 AD and If you people haven't a clue toward any "solutions" yet, then there's not much help that I can offer. And please understand that I'm being as generous as I possibly can in my appraisal. The brutal truth would be overkill in conveying the general condition of the city to prospective relocators. And I actually HAVE leaped over the homeless while running the Downtown Greenway. I haven't been on it yet when vagrants and beggars didn't outnumber other users. 20 years and you've got 3 out of 4 miles completed. But forgot about drainage. And what's with the broken down cars, missing wheels with rags closed up in the windows? it's like one of those Mad Max movies. This place is panic attack scary. Scarier still is that it seems perfectly normal to any of you. About those "opportunities to improve"? Now would be an excellent time.
While I do agree that some of what you've posted is exaggeration, I think that your critique of the city overall is accurate. What you'll find with many who live in GSO is a state of denial. In reality many of these homers are aware that things in the city are not good, when compared to peer cities and other prosperous NC cities, but instead of accepting those things and legitimately focusing on improving their city, they either bury their heads in the sand or pretend that GSO is making strides as a city when clearly it is not. It's almost like they are on a quest to convince outsiders that GSO is the next big thing and some hidden gem. If an outsider posts their not so rosy opinion or call out blatant BS from a certain poster in these threads, you'll be met with accusations of trolling...because that's all they've got.

Meanwhile, while the previously mentioned mentality continues to thrive in GSO, other NC cities continue to move forward and progress as modern cities with robust economies where people actually want to relocate.

I hate to call anything hopeless, but i'm afraid that this mindset that you're experiencing with GSO homers is here to stay. It's like an alcoholic. Until they realize and accept the truth for what it is, and take the necessary steps to improve, they have no hope of changing things.

Last edited by uncchgrad; 03-16-2021 at 11:42 PM..

Old 03-17-2021, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
While I do agree that some of what you've posted is exaggeration, I think that your critique of the city overall is accurate. What you'll find with many who live in GSO is a state of denial. In reality many of these homers are aware that things in the city are not good, when compared to peer cities and other prosperous NC cities, but instead of accepting those things and legitimately focusing on improving their city, they either bury their heads in the sand or pretend that GSO is making strides as a city when clearly it is not. It's almost like they are on a quest to convince outsiders that GSO is the next big thing and some hidden gem. If an outsider posts their not so rosy opinion or call out blatant BS from a certain poster in these threads, you'll be met with accusations of trolling...because that's all they've got.

Meanwhile, while the previously mentioned mentality continues to thrive in GSO, other NC cities continue to move forward and progress as modern cities with robust economies where people actually want to relocate.

I hate to call anything hopeless, but i'm afraid that this mindset that you're experiencing with GSO homers is here to stay. It's like an alcoholic. Until they realize and accept the truth for what it is, and take the necessary steps to improve, they have no hope of changing things.
It's true that there are some major homers on here. I'm not one of them. There are some major issues with Greensboro. But yes, TunedIn is engaging in hyperbole equal to that of the homers here. There's as much trash around Greensboro as there is in Hampton Roads or the DC area (when I lived in DC, my job required me to drive all over PG/Montgomery County, MD, northern DC, and Alexandria/Arlington/Annandale, VA). Crime is high and needs to be fixed but it's not a hopeless situation either.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:02 PM

Quote:
It's true that there are some major homers on here. I'm not one of them. There are some major issues with Greensboro. But yes, TunedIn is engaging in hyperbole equal to that of the homers here. There's as much trash around Greensboro as there is in Hampton Roads or the DC area (when I lived in DC, my job required me to drive all over PG/Montgomery County, MD, northern DC, and Alexandria/Arlington/Annandale, VA). Crime is high and needs to be fixed but it's not a hopeless situation either.
The roadside trash in D.C. is absolutely disgusting. Does it make you feel any better to be on par. There's either a trash barrel shortage in Greensboro or you folks were never taught how to properly dispose of personal waste. I assumed on day one here that it was either laziness or ignorance. I've since decided that it's some combination of the two. Have some pride man, some class.

Old 03-17-2021, 01:22 PM

Quote:
The roadside trash in D.C. is absolutely disgusting. Does it make you feel any better to be on par. There's either a trash barrel shortage in Greensboro or you folks were never taught how to properly dispose of personal waste. I assumed on day one here that it was either laziness or ignorance. I've since decided that it's some combination of the two. Have some pride man, some class.
First off, I dont throw trash on the side of the road. Let's get that out of the way now. Don't talk to me (or likely anyone else on here) like we do.

But overall, I'm not saying Greensboro is squeaky clean. Just that it isn't noticeably different from any other areas where I've lived (or visited frequently). There are pockets that are really bad. Again, that is experienced in literally every other major, moderate, or minor city.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point