Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 01:19 PM

860 posts, read 432,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
TunedIn, Boston proper includes 60% of the murders in the entirity of the Metropolitan area lol. Its arbitruary to use city limits to define how safe an area is. Tune in (no pun intended) to the city vs city forum for why city limits are a terrible terrible way to measure anything.

Also.. what dangerous suburbs are you on about? Chelsea, Revere, Everett, Lynn, and Somerville/Camrbidge had a total of 4 murders together in 2019 (Population, ~450k). Brockton, Randolph, Quincy and Weymouth together had 3 (population of 380k there). Worcester had 0 murders in 2019. Lawrence had 5. Lowell had 2. Boston's Dorchester neighborhood had 27 murders with a population of 150k people. In 2020, Dorchester had 34/56sh murders in Boston.

So yes, city limits to measure safety is a horrible metric. Just because Gboro city proper had 60 murders, doesn't mean the whole metropolitan area is unsafe. If Boston only was Dorchester, it would have a murder rate of 25 per 100,000. If we excluded Dorchester, it's murder rate would be 3 per 100,000.

I don't knock Gboro over that at all. Wayyy more behind the scenes.
I said that Boston doesn't get to include its SAFER suburbs. It's entire city compared to entire city. Apples to Apples. Go MSA to MSA and see If the numbers are any different. If we disagree, then so be it. Folks are free to interpret the data as they see fit. If you people find the murder rate in Greensboro perfectly acceptable, it makes me no never mind. I just don't have enough skin in the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickms55 View Post
Crime is up everywhere because the pandemic and its economic effects are everywhere. Crime will likely go down with the economy improving.
The pandemic is statewide, is it not? Greensboro's murder rate was higher than Charlotte, Winston, Raleigh or Durham.

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-11-2021 at 03:10 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 05:04 PM

14 posts, read 8,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
The pandemic is statewide, is it not? Greensboro's murder rate was higher than Charlotte, Winston, Raleigh or Durham.
SMH. Again. Most of my almost 50 years of life. Winston Salem, Durham and Charlotte have had worse crime rates than Greensboro. I’m not going to lose my mind over a 2 or 3 years where Greensboro is has a worse rate. I believe it’s a blip. The city is still growing for a reason.

Old 04-11-2021, 05:33 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,972,033 times
Quote:
there was just a driveby shooting in winston salem yesterday that took the life of a 27 year old man, what do you have to say about that?

https://myfox8.com/news/27-year-old-...et-police-say/

there were also several children inside and out of the house where the driveby occured, like we said, violent crime is everywhere, and it's an issue all over North Carolina.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beamoe09 View Post
SMH. Again. Most of my almost 50 years of life. Winston Salem, Durham and Charlotte have had worse crime rates than Greensboro. I’m not going to lose my mind over a 2 or 3 years where Greensboro is has a worse rate. I believe it’s a blip. The city is still growing for a reason.
SMH. Time will tell if it's a "blip" or a trend. And none of the cities mentioned are good company to keep for any amount of time. This is what's known as a low bar. Honestly. Greensboro is actually growing, albeit slowly, for two reasons. Cheap housing and low taxes. And for now at least, in spite of a poor local economy, weak job market and high crime rate. And if you're as secure in your opinion as I am in mine, I'm afraid that we'll simply have to agree to disagree. No shame in that.

Old 04-11-2021, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post
there was just a driveby shooting in winston salem yesterday that took the life of a 27 year old man, what do you have to say about that?

there were also several children inside and out of the house where the driveby occured, like we said, violent crime is everywhere, and it's an issue all over North Carolina.
This is an extremely unsophisticated argument, and it's becoming increasingly difficult to fathom your constant deflection. Folks, have a look at the title of this thread. And I didn't start it. It really is OK to admit that there's a problem rather than making this about me. I'm entitled to my opinions just as you're entitled to yours.

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-11-2021 at 07:52 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YinXyang View Post

Agreed though, North Carolina as a state sits well above the national average for rates of homicide and deaths by firearm. Perhaps it's cultural.

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-11-2021 at 07:53 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 07:51 PM

241 posts, read 241,475 times
Quote:
The numbers are from crime data sources which list the murder rates for all cities over 250,000 residents. Greensboro not only fares poorly against Boston, but against the vast majority of similarly sized cities. Its murder rates are egregiously high. Period. Why is it so hard for you to acknowledge the problem? And I don't think it CAN be changed as shooting and killing seems to be deeply ingrained in your culture. When my daughter finishes school, I'll pull up stakes and move. Or sooner if the mood strikes. Since this is primarily a relocation forum, it's important for others contemplating a move to get pertinent information from those already here. And it's painfully obvious that the homers are far to entrenched in denial to mention the crime rate to potential relocators. If you don't like my opinions, why not just stop reading them?

could you post the actual study you're quoting? I don't think anybody is "ok" with the crime rate. It can always be lower regardless of the number. But endless complaining with no solutions after awhile just equals low quality spam level posting. I think the potential relocators got your point the first 15 times you made it.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
could you post the actual study you're quoting? I don't think anybody is "ok" with the crime rate. It can always be lower regardless of the number. But endless complaining with no solutions after awhile just equals low quality spam level posting. I think the potential relocators got your point the first 15 times you made it.
And yet you keep reading my posts and complaining about them. Why not simply address the subject and not the poster? Or better still, stop reading them altogether.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I'll even help you get started. The title of this thread is "Greensboro crime rates thru the roof....." Now go ahead and respond like I'm not even here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point