Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 08:12 PM

241 posts, read 239,411 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
And yet you keep reading my posts and complaining about them. Why not simply address the subject and not the poster? Or better still, stop reading them altogether.

I'm following the thread not you. Your low quality postings do tend to stand out above the others. Rather than just complain, I've made recommendations on how you could improve (hint). You said in your other reply you don't even believe Greensboro CAN change because the problems are too deeply rooted. that indicates you aren't here to offer solutions or anything particularly insightful. Just here to vent your dislike. The potential relocators in this thread need to know that part too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2021, 08:21 PM

857 posts, read 424,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamchaser13 View Post
I'm following the thread not you. Your low quality postings do tend to stand out above the others. Rather than just complain, I've made recommendations on how you could improve (hint). You said in your other reply you don't even believe Greensboro CAN change because the problems are too deeply rooted. that indicates you aren't here to offer solutions or anything particularly insightful. Just here to vent your dislike. The potential relocators in this thread need to know that part too.
So your posts are simply to complain about mine without referencing the actual subject? Are you not capable of original thought? I'm beginning to understand the depth of the problem.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
And potential relocators are completely free to interpret our differing opinions as they see fit. It's sorta the way it's supposed to work here. I hope at some point you'll offer your own.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:38 PM

Quote:
So your posts are simply to complain about mine without referencing the actual subject? Are you not capable of original thought? I'm beginning to understand the depth of the problem.

Rather than becoming more upset, I hope you'll accept the constructive criticism as just that. It won't just improve the thread, but the forum as well. My opinion on the topic have been posted in the thread for all who care.

Old 04-11-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Rather than becoming more upset, I hope you'll accept the constructive criticism as just that. It won't just improve the thread, but the forum as well. My opinion on the topic have been posted in the thread for all who care.
Yes of course. What better way to "improve the thread" than by simply sharing your opinion regarding the "highly alarmist" nature of the title. Or by chastising the OP's concerns as "fearmongering". Thank you but no, I'll continue to post my opinions as I see fit and it's my sincerest hope that you'll do the same. That they differ is completely acceptable to me. Hopefully, on this note we can conclude our personal communication.

Last edited by TunedIn; 04-11-2021 at 09:19 PM..

Old 04-11-2021, 10:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,966,005 times
Quote:
Agreed though, North Carolina as a state sits well above the national average for rates of homicide and deaths by firearm. Perhaps it's cultural.
And this is exactly what i meant, the entire state has an alarming issue with violent crime.

as for your other quote, you completely lost me there with the talk of deflection, i agreed that nc as a whole has a massive issue regarding it's crime, i however cannot just place the blame on one city and one city alone, they're all pretty equally terrible when it comes to violent crimes.

Old 06-06-2021, 01:33 PM

615 posts, read 541,218 times
I think there are a number of reasons why the murder and violent crime rates go up in a city. First is unemployment and poverty, second is high use of drugs and alcohol, and third is lack of funding from the state.

Last year Charlotte’s black police chief blamed a growing crime rate on Charlotte’s black head district attorney. I mention that they are both black to show that racist remarks are not part of the dialogue. The chief said that the district attorney’s office is letting violent criminals back into the street before finishing their time in prison.

The head district attorney blamed the state saying that they are not providing enough district attorneys. It bogs down the court system. Criminal cases are being dismissed due to too few district attorneys. It addition there is not enough jail space for criminals and some are released early to accommodate for new criminals.

I am not certain if Guilford is experiencing similar problems fromlack of state funding. One problem in NC is that rural legislators have a lot of power. They do not understand and do not care to understand the problems of urban areas.

But these urban areas drive the state and create much of the revenue for the state. If the cash cow were to dry up, all would feel the pain.

Most recently, the Charlotte Observer and Raleigh News and Observer just completed a week long series on interstate drivers that continue to be caught for speeding excessively over 20mph over the limit and often times in excess of 90 and 100 mph. These drivers have their sentences reduced to a slap on the wrist. They are not arrested. Their license is not seized. Due to an over burdened court system, these drivers are repeatedly charged a court fee only and the drivers go about the rest of their day. This is due to an over burdened court system.

If we in NC want to have safe cities and freeways, we must begin complaining to our state legislators. If they hear the complaints, they will change the system. It is very simple. They hear no complaints so legislators think we are happy.

Old 06-09-2021, 12:12 PM

615 posts, read 541,218 times
But with that said, Charlotte does not rank among the 75 most violent cities in America, and I doubt if Greensboro does.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post
But with that said, Charlotte does not rank among the 75 most violent cities in America, and I doubt if Greensboro does.
An important distinction is that a dangerous city with jobs is far more able to attract educated and talented individuals than a city without them.

Old 06-09-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The QC View Post

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Here is a list of top 100 most dangerous cities of at least 25k people ONLY factoring violent crime (not covid deaths, natural disasters like other lists). Only 2 NC cities made the List (Fayetteville and Monroe, NC). As someone who's traveled and lived in different regions in my time, I find NC to be a generally safe state. Even in the "bad" areas, you don't see severe urban blight like other places (blocks of abandoned homes, bars on windows, 20+ people loitering outside businesses, etc.)

Last edited by Yac; 06-15-2021 at 11:13 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point